Everything GREAT About Alien: Covenant!

Started by Nukiemorph, Sep 13, 2017, 09:13:01 AM

Author
Everything GREAT About Alien: Covenant! (Read 10,183 times)

Scorpio

I spoiled myself going in and still enjoyed the movie.

Nukiemorph

I have no complaints with what the trailer spoiled.

But as an American, it was really frustrating to see tons of videos with "Why did David kill the engineers?" and "Why David created the aliens" in the titles and thumbnails constantly popping up in my YouTube video recommendations before the film even came out in my country.

Special thanks to U.K. YouTubers for that...

tleilaxu

I spoiled myself too. I even read a post saying it was even worse than Prometheus and I was scared it'd make me biased, but I just resolved to come to a conclusion by myself.

XenoHunter99

These days, the marketing spoils everything. That's been going on for at least a decade, though. The reason nothing has any intensity, at least for me, is that we've seen it all. I've seen enough horror movies that hardly anything makes a dent. The best I can get is a momentary gross-out; and it takes something exceptional to do that.In the Alien franchise, by now, you know what's going to happen. Creatures are going to burst from the body in a gout of ichor and gore. It's expected! It's practically a meme.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Sep 22, 2017, 07:13:25 PM
These days, the marketing spoils everything.

Absolutely. So, when I care about a movie franchise (genre), and I know that a sequel (new film) is coming, before I see it;
I don't read about it, including on forums.
I don't see videos about it.
And I close my eyes when trailers for it appear in theaters (otherwise I avoid trailers).

- I go into the theater with as few spoilers as possible.

* I give new films in my favorite franchises/genres as much of a chance as possible.
But that's just me.

* This helped a lot with "Alien Covenant".
Much of the Alien franchise has been repeated and imitated; clearing my mind of a lot of that allowed me to see "Covenant" with fairly fresh eyes.
It definitely increased my feeling the intensity of the Neomorph attack.   

;)

Highland

Depends, marketing can be done well, the new Star Wars trailer (and from memory the first one) didn't really give anything away, if anything they were underselling. The problem with trailers though is that you usually don't know if it's a spoiler or not until you watch it.

These days I usually watch only the teasers and the initial trailer. Once it gets to TV spots and Trailer 2/3 I leave that stuff well alone. For Covenant I wish I hadn't seen the crossing, would have been better to see that in the film, I made a mistake there.

Biomechanoid

Unless you go off the grid, it's a challenge to shield yourself from spoiler / non-spoiler bits and pieces of an upcoming film. I'm long enough in the tooth to remember my only exposure to an upcoming film was a theater trailer, maybe a TV trailer. It wasn't rare back then, we get in the mood for a movie trip, grab the newspaper, and just point - let's try that simply because it might have an actor or director we liked, or simply the movie title. No idea going in. Hard to duplicate that perfect spoiler-free experience today.

Allow me to share a perfect spoiler free experience years ago. I was at one of those bargain bin barrels - 5 DVDs for $20. I picked 4 I wanted, couldn't find a fifth. Then I noticed, From Dusk Til Dawn. Okay, Tarantino, crime action - give it a go. Up till that moment, I never even knew that movie existed. Half way into the movie my mindset was "locked" into crime action. How's this family going to get out of this dangerous situation with the psycho Richard ready to blow. Then the bar scene arrived, you know the details. I love that surprise, very focused on real-world like crime action well into the movie and it turns on a dime to fantasy horror.

First run of Alien was pretty close to that, but we did know it was sci-horror going in. Other than that, saw nothing at all about the film, not even word of mouth. Coming out, I hadn't felt that deep dread since The Exorcist.

bobcunk

When I saw the wolf of wallstreet I thought it was going to be a serious drama about the stock market, I was pleasantly surprised that i was wrong, It was one of the funniest movies I had seen.

Highland

I had a similar experience with Blade at the cinema. A mate and I had the mega pass ( back then it was cheap and no subscription) so we thought Wesley Snipes, action, this might be good....

Imagine our faces when the Dance club scene erupts into a Vampire blood bath.

Biomechanoid

I was pleasantly surprised that i was wrong, It was one of the funniest movies I had seen.

Imagine our faces when the Dance club scene erupts into a Vampire blood bath.

Yup, that's it. You know exactly how I felt.

It's funny, when that type of surprise happens, in a weird way, it feels like a double feature at that moment. Or two movies in one, if that makes any sense.

The crime action theme hasn't been abandoned, it's still there, they still need to survive the Gecko's killing spree, but now they have to also deal with a fantasy horror factor.

Corporal Hicks

For me that was Cabin in the Woods and yeah, I totally know what you guys mean. However, when it's something you're really looking forward to it's hard not to want to keep up on every bit of news. Obviously that's why I'm here.  :laugh:

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 02, 2017, 07:56:45 AM
For me that was Cabin in the Woods and yeah, I totally know what you guys mean.

Oh! I'm glad you mentioned CITW, I forgot about that one. I'm with you, I was totally surprised. It was on Netflix for quite awhile and I kept scrolling past it. The title fooled me, never could get in a mood for a hackn'stab flick. One day I decided to play it just to have it in the background while I was doing web design. Soon, it had my full attention.

Baron Von Marlon

Some time after Covenant went into production, I quit visiting my regular movie news websites.
Reason? They put spoilers in the titles of their articles. Instead of saying "New detail about Covenant" they put the detail in the title.

I think if you're gonna watch a movie anyway, it's best to know as little as possible. Imo it enhances the movie experience.
So as soon as the work starts on the sequel, I'm gonna (try to) stay away from this place and other websites that might contain spoilers.
It's hard, but more often than not it's worth it.

Alien³

I took a break from here during Covenant and it worked a treat.

Aside from Jurassic I do it for all my favourite franchises that have movies in production. It always makes the experience worth it at the cinema.

Rudiger

My particular favourite was the poster for The Sixth Sense, which included a quote from some lame reviewer that said: "You'll never see the twist coming!"

Bastard.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed