New interview with Randy Pitchford

Started by Darkness, Sep 12, 2017, 07:02:24 PM

Author
New interview with Randy Pitchford (Read 51,615 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 17, 2017, 08:07:12 AM
Quote from: Darkness on Sep 16, 2017, 09:20:15 PM
Don't say that! I thought the same and then I played Borderlands 2. One of my top 5 games of last generation. 
Don't care, it could be the best game ever made and playing it could literally cure cancer, and I wouldn't play it on principle.

I'm with Xenomrph on this one. I just can't bring myself to support Gearbox after this mess. Sure, I don't think Colonial Marines is the most offensive game ever released but it sure was disappointing and Pitchford's whole attitude after the fact and all those bts woes has just soured me to him and the company.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 17, 2017, 06:51:13 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 17, 2017, 08:07:12 AM
Quote from: Darkness on Sep 16, 2017, 09:20:15 PM
Don't say that! I thought the same and then I played Borderlands 2. One of my top 5 games of last generation. 
Don't care, it could be the best game ever made and playing it could literally cure cancer, and I wouldn't play it on principle.

I'm with Xenomrph on this one. I just can't bring myself to support Gearbox after this mess. Sure, I don't think Colonial Marines is the most offensive game ever released but it sure was disappointing and Pitchford's whole attitude after the fact and all those bts woes has just soured me to him and the company.
For me, it's less about the game itself and more about Pitchford's attitude. Like to be perfectly honest, I've gotten legitimate enjoyment out of Colonial Marines. I've beaten it several times, and there's aspects of it that I think are genuinely good (even if a lot of the game is marred by half-finished nonsense).

But Randy's "we did nothing wrong" attitude is repugnant, and I'm not going to support that.

Local Trouble

P-Rock

P-Rock

I bought the first Borderlands before all these shenanigans took place for a couple of bucks and it was one of the most boring FPS shooters I've ever played. Cool cell shaded graphics, but that's it. I hate the constant respawns and the gazillion guns which are basically all the same except for a different color and slightly different stats. Also, the world is huge but lifeless.

Darkness

For me that was the fun, opening loot boxes and finding out if it has a better gun than the one I have. The different colours indicate its rarity.

N-Shifter

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 13, 2017, 01:13:51 PM
Can't trust a single word this guy says.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to post  ;)

Cellien

Cellien

While I share the disappointments over ACM's final product, I guess I don't feel as strongly.  It's been a while, but the old early E3 demo really wasn't that different, plus it had the words "WORK IN PROGRESS" slapped across it.  Hell some things actually looked better in the final game.  I'm not saying the disappointment wasn't shared, but I think Pitchford just got a taste of directed internet wrath.  Really, Sega should be the ones in hot water.  In the end, it's still one of the more enjoyable Alien games out there.

P-Rock

P-Rock

Quote from: Cellien on Sep 20, 2017, 08:38:32 PM
Hell some things actually looked better in the final game.

Like what?

Darkblade 25

After the train wreck that was aliens colonial marines I can't trust this guy.

Kimo

Kimo

Watched part of this interview, the other day on some other random YouTube channel that was talking shit about him. :D It made me laugh, when he was saying how the hype for Colonial Marines was always gunna be above expectations, and the concept was never going to live up to the hype? (well something on them lines)

Randy needs to take a look at what Creative Assembly, did with Alien Isolation because that lived above expectations for most Alien(s) fans. Randy needs to stop trying to worm his way out, by putting the blame on everyone else... I would have a little more respect for him if he just apologise and admitted that he made a bad call when making A:CM. In fact I will agree with Randy that A:CM is medicore fun game... Thats if you sell it to kids under 10 and put the Kenner Toy logo on the f**king box. Other then that A:CM was a piss take to the Aliens franchise.

dude63

dude63

Randy is a tool..there is no other way to describe him. Anyone who does not look at something they are criticised on is a tool. How can someone only respond to positives but laah out against criticism. Its obvious Gearbox dropped the ball, its obvious the blame is in their hands.

I applaud ign (never thought I would say that) for catching him on his bs when he mentioned Sega doing false advertising. Listen I like gearbox, I like borderlandz and I love Brothers in Arms. However, what makes a company succeed is recognizing and learning from their mistakes. You are not going to get anywhere in life avoiding criticism and lashing out like a high schooler because you messed up.

I have no respect for Randy. I have all the respect for Timegate who pushed out a decent product with a less than a year dev time. I do not trust Randy. Someone who loves the Alien license (or so he says) would not of dropped the ball like they did. Sega gave you the money..you pissed it away. Oh and we can talk about vertical slices all say if we would like. However, at least most vertical slices put out there are close to the vision of the game.

Ubi dropped the ball when Watch Dogs was shown. However, at leaat the fundamentals of the game shown was still in the actual gameplay. Killzone teaser for ps3. Was a pre rendered trailer but the action shown was reality when actual game shipped.

Everything present in Alien vertical alice was non existent. Aside from the crusher (what a joke in actual game) and the fact it was a fps game..that is it!!

Again, I cannot blame timegate. To push out the product they did in the 9 month dev time is awesome. Shame those talented blokes had to close up from this.

Also its very hilarious how randy specifically tries to act like he didnt know who Jim Sterling is...lmao come on randy..

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 13, 2017, 04:47:24 AM
QuoteSays they invested their own money from Borderlands 2 into ACM.
From all reports it seemed to be the other way around.

Cant Trust him.. All the reports and leaked and employees said it was otherwise.

https://kotaku.com/5986694/from-dream-to-disaster-the-story-of-aliens-colonial-marines

Kotaku did a really good Article about it all.

Everything he talks about is bullshit. The interviewer never mentioned how the final game looked nothing like the E3 Demo in terms of Asset placement and level design. Randy brought up clearly this video.

Clearly something went wrong! this has nothing to do with Artist Changing stuff. Assets were missing. Game Engine was toned down. LV-426 was a Completely different level to what we got.

You don't change that much of a game that late into Development. They outsourced the Development.

Predaker

Predaker

Team deathmatch might be near 7.0 but the rest of the game rates much, much lower.

QuoteThe interviewer never mentioned how the final game looked nothing like the E3 Demo

I find it odd how a number of people keep latching onto or focusing on the old E3 demo. That wasn't even a real issue, as pre-release gameplay footage gave a fairly accurate depiction of A:CM's final gameplay. Especially when there are loads of legitimate criticisms to discuss.

Pitchford and the other higher ups at gearbox are a disgrace. I'm with the boycott ever since this debacle. I will never purchase a game from them ever again, no matter how great they may be.

Inverse Effect

Makes me Wonder what happened to the original game.
We went from this

To this (which even resembles the older stuff

To

They did all those Promotional Videos. Saying how they were doing new things that first person shooters have never done Story wise.

https://youtu.be/UGX2WE4QUw8?t=9m33s

like lol what?

Olde

Olde

He's gonna take this pompous attitude to his grave. He has such a "well, what did you expect?" and "it's not as bad as people say it is" demeanor that it really tells you a lot about Gearbox.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed