Who feels ripped off??

Started by predator2rules, Sep 12, 2017, 09:03:22 AM

Author
Who feels ripped off?? (Read 5,761 times)

predator2rules

predator2rules

I first watched Alien 3 back in 1993 and have seen all the Alien movies more than I can count. I've read comics, played games and collected the toys... and read books. I was always fascinated with the creature. but now I feel a little ripped off that the whole creature was designed by a robot out of a pathogen. Anybody else feel this way??

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Many people do, just not here. Here people adore the fact that the alien in Alien is not an alien.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

::) Not in the slightest.

I really dislike it too. There's a little wiggle room for me to desperately cling onto that David is just re-creating old Engineer work (like ADF puts across in the novelization) but I know it's just desperation.

Olde

Olde

I do. I don't consider Prometheus or Covenant canon. The David arc does more to hurt the story than to help it. Worse than adding nothing, it makes humans the creators of the alien, destroying the horror element and turning the series into a terrible kind of "tragic irony" story that cheapens the impact of the original Alien.

NeoXenoPred

NeoXenoPred

I really don't like the idea that David created the Aliens. I mean, David just created it by killing the Space Jockeys and that'as what killing the franchise. I just prefer that the Xeno's origin is a mystery, or them being an Engineer creation, not David.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

I don't at all, I like the ideas and themes in the prequels and the fact it has gone in directions I would never have expected.

But then it doesn't change what has come before for me. I've watched alien to Alien 3 since seeing Covenant and I can honestly say David didn't cross my mind. I watch Covenant on its own merits in the same way I would AvP, its an alternative story rather than a definitive one for me.

I feel the same way about the star wars prequels the difference being I didn't enjoy them.

I don't think everyone can separate them that way so maybe I'm fortunate in that regards.

Hide

Hide

I would have loved the idea that a very adaptable biomechanic-organic creature
interacted (facehugged or something) with an AI and his intelligence
and this is how the perfect organism occurred.

That would also mean that we are responsible for our own NEMESIS.

But this thing with a Michelangelo Android drawing facehuggers in Pompey
and playing a flute, simply doesn't work.

It might have worked though, if it was done well,
from a more capable director that would have
made us care about the characters...

Look what the biggest movie of all time is...

A rip-off of Pocahontas fused with Apocalypse Now, staring big blue felines.

A ridiculous idea made extremely well.

Olde

Olde

Let's be clear: largest-grossing. And that was in large part because of the director's reputation and the marketing surrounding the movie as having the most amazing effects in cinematic history. Most people who have analyzed the movie, even non-critics, recognize how vanilla the plot is.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

I didn't like Avatar the first time I saw it, thought it was awful although I recognize I was in the minority. However, its stock has fallen considerably over time since the hype died.

Both Cameron and Scott are extremely capable, that's unquestionable, but you aren't gonna like every movie they make. Same goes for every director really.

Olde

Olde

Very true. I haven't seen Avatar but I have no intention of doing so. Flashy visuals does not a compelling story make, and I've already heard and read enough synopses to know that I won't be missing anything of interest to me. Which is really the best you can do if you can: filter out stuff that you're very confident that you're not going to like in advance. Might as well not waste your time.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

I had my doubts when I went to see it because I prefer my visuals to have a darker tone than it offered but the story was just so vacuous.

But its undoubtedly competently made just not my cup of tea. I'd love Cameron to return to his earlier, darker and edgy style but alas I doubt he ever will.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

I love the idea of David being the creator.

SM

SM

I don't love it.  But I don't hate it either.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Honestly, what did most of us want? More aliens I bet. The space jockey as an Alien creature. What did we get in Prometheus. Albino humanoids, which was cool. Although what Ridley really promised to do was to tell the Space Jockey's story. So let me ask it. What happened to telling his Story? Instead we get Frankenstein in Space that focus mostly on David08's story. Which is good and all but no otherworldly non-humanoid contact Alien. Everything in Convent seems to have dirty human finger prints all over it.

Of course if David ends up in the suit.... brrrr.

A-L-I-E-N

A-L-I-E-N

I liked Covenant a lot, brought it back to Giger's ideas of biomechanics but I don't like to think of it as canon because it contradicts everything from the early films and all of the comics and novels regarding what we understood of the derelict and SJ.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed