Author
Tarantino on Alien 3 (Read 7,294 times)

SM

SM

Word.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Quote from: Huntsman on Sep 13, 2017, 03:41:04 AM
I like the fact Newt and Hicks were killed off. The Alien took everything from Ripley. Getting impregnated gave her purpose, and that was to destroy the Queen and die in the process. It's bleak stuff but brilliant in my opinion. This is not a fairytale.

So few films go so far as to kill children characters because people find that stuff appalling.  Alien3 went there.

SM

SM

And people found it appalling.

Huntsman

Huntsman

Does an Alien care if someone is a toddler, child or senior citizen? Nope.

SM

SM

Aliens aren't real.

Huntsman

Huntsman

Really? Wow, I didn't know!

My point stands. Fiction still adheres to in-universe rules. Xenos don't care who they kill.

SM

SM

Which is all utterly beside the point.

Huntsman

Huntsman

SM

SM

The point is audience reaction to the deaths of toddler, child or senior citizen.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SM on Sep 19, 2017, 08:01:33 AM
Aliens aren't real.

How do you know?  Have you been to every planet in the Universe?

SM

SM

Yes.

David hasn't invented them yet.

MaximusGrandimus

MaximusGrandimus

Quote from: SM on Sep 19, 2017, 08:39:07 AM

I fail to see how the previous comments are "besides the point?" Yes, Aliens/Xenomorphs are not real. Neither is The Wizard of Oz or vampires. But If Buffy were to suddenly be able to kill a vampire with a gun and regular bullets rather than a stake to the heart, audiences would be pretty steamed. And while, yes, I can appreciate that audiences really disliked Newt and Hicks being killed in such a fashion, the universe presented in the Alien movies is a cold, hard, unforgiving one and part of the point of this movie is that the Aliens don't care if you're a child, etc. So how is that not relevant to this discussion?

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Huntsman on Sep 19, 2017, 07:57:03 AM
Does an Alien care if someone is a toddler, child or senior citizen? Nope.

Still won't make me like Alien 3, and won't make me not find Newt's death and autopsy gratuitous and low-hanging fruit.

SM

SM

Quote from: MaximusGrandimus on Sep 19, 2017, 04:15:21 PM
Quote from: SM on Sep 19, 2017, 08:39:07 AM

I fail to see how the previous comments are "besides the point?" Yes, Aliens/Xenomorphs are not real. Neither is The Wizard of Oz or vampires. But If Buffy were to suddenly be able to kill a vampire with a gun and regular bullets rather than a stake to the heart, audiences would be pretty steamed. And while, yes, I can appreciate that audiences really disliked Newt and Hicks being killed in such a fashion, the universe presented in the Alien movies is a cold, hard, unforgiving one and part of the point of this movie is that the Aliens don't care if you're a child, etc. So how is that not relevant to this discussion?

Because that wasn't in doubt. It also wasn't being discussed at that point.

PsyKore

PsyKore

People don't seem to mind the gravity of all the families in ALIENS dying, albeit off screen.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed