Human Media

Started by SM, Sep 05, 2017, 11:28:44 PM

Author
Human Media (Read 4,543 times)

SiL

SiL

Yes, that you're desperate to gripe about something.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Good thing I found a forum, then.

Hide

Hide

Quote from: Olde on Sep 10, 2017, 03:58:53 AM
I think Hide's point is that there are so many other glaring inconsistencies with A:C that who cares if certain stills on a blu-ray that you can barely make out in the actual film are callbacks to the visuals of a much better movie from over thirty years ago, where they didn't bother to make most of the other technological media identical or consistent?

Really, there's a Phillips logo on one side of the stills? Are any of us supposed to be impressed by that?

Exactly, thank you.

Guys stop acting like kids, the movie is insultingly bad.
Go see at rotten tometoes what the audience writes about the film...

We are all fans of the franchise and we all wanted to like the movie.
Some of us couldn't convince ourselves to enjoy the film, the problems are numerous.
I don't know what happened but no great artist would write his name under this.
I would be surprised if it doesn't win all the razzies this season.

You can like whatever you want. We can dislike whatever we want and write about that.
Democracy is a Greek word, much like the references of those big bald engineers that sound like baboons.

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Sep 10, 2017, 06:44:00 AM
I'd be impressed by this attention to detail if the attention to detail was a consistent element throughout the film, but we're talking about a film where nobody bothered to apply makeup on Ridley Scott's own Engineers to make them look like Engineers...With such a lack of attention to visuals that actually have consequence on the story, I honestly wouldn't care if those monitors were featuring 2 girls 1 cup reruns.

The way I see it, all the attention to detail in this film went to things that can serve as callbacks to the original Alien: The main (rushed) title, the nods to Jerry Goldsmith's score, and now this. The point, it seems, was to get fans to point at the screen and scream 'I KNOW WHAT THAT IS!', rather than to use the visuals in actual storytelling.

I get that some fans find it interesting and I'm glad for them, but to me it just comes off as cynical an offensive.

Totally agree.

SM

SM

You capacity to be insulted seems to be incredibly fragile.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: SM on Sep 10, 2017, 09:02:32 AM
You capacity to be insulted seems to be incredibly fragile.
That's an odd thing to write. You're basically saying that if his capacity to be insulted breaks, he will not be able to get insulted anymore...

SM

SM

I'm sure he'll find something.

Hide

Hide

There are plenty of forums on the net to give your thoughts on the personality of other users.
http://www.psychforums.com/

This forum is for the Alien Franchise. Please stick to the topic.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Hide on Sep 10, 2017, 08:27:39 AM

Guys stop acting like kids,

And now the insults begin.

Quote from: Hide on Sep 10, 2017, 08:27:39 AM
... the movie is insultingly bad.

Not to me.
I'm not persuaded by any of the supposed "flaws" brought up in this thread.
1. In "Alien" and "Aliens" the characters do not wear helmets to protect them from possible airborne alien pathogens.
That is a rule established in the franchise.

2. Space aliens do not need to look the same. Similar looking aliens in TV/movies is based on a fallacy.
With advanced beings (like the Engineers) several changes in genetics can survive leading to variety of appearance.
That can be seen in our world where humans vary greatly in how they look.

;) 

SM

SM

Quote from: Hide on Sep 10, 2017, 11:02:51 AM
There are plenty of forums on the net to give your thoughts on the personality of other users.
http://www.psychforums.com/

This forum is for the Alien Franchise. Please stick to the topic.

:laugh:

Says the guy whose sole mission is to derail every thread by taking a dump in it.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quit it folks. Thanks.

Highland

Highland

Lol , Hide has to be an alt. Nobody dishes it out that good then swats a backhand when they get called out.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

The verisimilitude of the GUIs, much like those in Alien, give the actors an added "handle" on their characters and environment. The time spent imagining the kind of information to show must have been tremendous, given how realistic these readouts appear.

There do not seem to be as many "easter eggs" in these as their were in some of the ones from Alien. For example, check out this article by Brian Wyvill, one of the guys who developed it.  His nickname "BLOB" can be found hidden in the "larger version" graphic linked to his page.

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~blob/alien.html

I didn't link directly to the pic so he'll get traffic stats on his page.  Great guy, by the way.

Further: I like how different colors seem to have been used for different vehicle readouts. Seems the lander(s) got the goldenrod(ish) and the Covenant, the teal(ish).

The brief hint of Covenant's diagram is also exciting. Would love to see more graphics from this great movie.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Omegamorph on Sep 10, 2017, 11:50:35 AM
Quit it folks. Thanks.

In addition to Omega's warning, I will say that the attitude and derailing of threads is getting somewhat irritating. We understand you dislike the film, Hide. However, that isn't the point of this thread. Please keep to the topics at hand. If you have nothing of value to add to the conversation, don't get involved.

SM

SM

Quote from: FenGiddel on Sep 10, 2017, 03:41:15 PM
The verisimilitude of the GUIs, much like those in Alien, give the actors an added "handle" on their characters and environment. The time spent imagining the kind of information to show must have been tremendous, given how realistic these readouts appear.

There do not seem to be as many "easter eggs" in these as their were in some of the ones from Alien. For example, check out this article by Brian Wyvill, one of the guys who developed it.  His nickname "BLOB" can be found hidden in the "larger version" graphic linked to his page.

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~blob/alien.html

I didn't link directly to the pic so he'll get traffic stats on his page.  Great guy, by the way.

Further: I like how different colors seem to have been used for different vehicle readouts. Seems the lander(s) got the goldenrod(ish) and the Covenant, the teal(ish).

The brief hint of Covenant's diagram is also exciting. Would love to see more graphics from this great movie.

How about these from Prometheus?

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: SM on Sep 05, 2017, 11:28:44 PM
Found this the other day.

The Philips logo in the bottom right is a nice touch.  I'd only picked it up on Blu-ray but it's clearer in some of these stills.  Still trying to make head or tail of the actual numbers.  Some seem to be quite detailed and accurate - others, could be just for show.

Enlarging the screen to 300% give you a better look too.

Glad you brought this up. It points to the many graphic designers in science fiction films who create the immerse "look" of the sets.
It can be an essential part of this kind of filmmaking.

I appreciate the links in this thread to the articles about computer screen graphics in "Alien", "Prometheus" and "Covenant".
I'll add a nod to the film "2001" which started this style of computer instrument screen realism in science fiction movies.

;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed