Would Prometheus be a better if matched the tone of the trailer?

Started by lv_226, Sep 05, 2017, 09:48:10 PM

Author
Would Prometheus be a better if matched the tone of the trailer? (Read 1,085 times)

lv_226

Prometheus, I feel, is a victim of its own marketing. How could any film possibly survive under the weight of its own hype? The intensity of that second trailer was immense. If I could have sold a kidney to watch the film right then and there, I probably would have more than considered it. Yet, when the final product was revealed, none of the intensity from that trailer was present (except for the Medpod scene... great stuff). If you can go back to the days before Prometheus was released, where the imagination was allowed to run wild with anticipation, and the marketing campaign in full swing, do you think that Prometheus would now be considered a classic if the film was as intense as that second trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA6OKoW30Pk

SM

The second half possibly misportrays the amount of action - but if there really had been that much action, a section of fans would gripe about that instead.

BishopShouldGo

Hell yeah. Infuse it with more horror and Xenos. I've always said the one thing keeping Prometheus at a 9/10 for me was the lack of xenos. All you had to do was pepper in 5-7 minutes of extra xeno action in the movie and I am satisfied.

I wanted that beast next to good looking shit, damn it! Apple Store-sleek surfaces, A-list actresses, vast exterior spaces, state of the art shit, suites. Enough of low budget cheap looking corridors that are small and black and simple.

Kinda got my wish with Covenant? Was looking seeing the xeno run towards the ship.

Scorpio

Are you kidding?  AVP made the xeno a joke, you had to build up to it again.  Absolutely the right decision to not make Prometheus an Alien movie.

And it paid off, as the xeno/proto in Covenant is fantastic.  Best the creature has been in 25 years.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 06, 2017, 02:41:58 AM
Are you kidding?  AVP made the xeno a joke, you had to build up to it again.  Absolutely the right decision to not make Prometheus an Alien movie.

And it paid off, as the xeno/proto in Covenant is fantastic.  Best the creature has been in 25 years.

For sure!

Baron Von Marlon

Should've been marketed less as an Alien prequel and more as a space jockey story.
I think this way the reactions would be less divided because the people knew better what to expect.

SM

It was marketed as less of an Alien prequel, but the genie was out of the bottle early on when it was presented as 'Ridley Scott returns to the Alien universe' and no amount of 'it's not a direct prequel' could put it back in.

Scorpio

Technically, the alien was in it, just not until the end.  But it was still an Alien film, just not a typical Alien film.

Hamster1066

The trailers were too spoilery. They should have kept much more back.

SM

I didn't really find them that spoilery at all.  I remember thinking it was going to be basically a remake of Alien - they land, inadvertently pick something up, take off and it stalks them around the ship.  I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong.

bleau

Quote from: Hamster1066 on Sep 08, 2017, 12:15:06 AM
The trailers were too spoilery. They should have kept much more back.

I agree. Not in a story spoiler way, but by showing all the money shots, action. They showed the Juggernaut crash for gripes sake. Trailer gave us the hole movie almost imo. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed