Goodbye to the ol' giger monster

Started by Iron Infililtrator, Aug 31, 2017, 03:11:24 AM

Author
Goodbye to the ol' giger monster (Read 1,366 times)

Iron Infililtrator

Apparently I've been hearing round of people saying that the older monster is no longer scary and that covenant was scarier. Does anyone else here agree with that? I kind of think it's a bit true, the alien is no longer scary as it once was and the new one in covenant was a bit of an improvement. You guys can lynch me now, just wanted to throw it out there.

SM

SM

Where did you hear that?

Iron Infililtrator

Friends and family really, I watched it with them a few days ago. They found it scarier and many other friends of mine on Social media that think the same way

whiterabbit

This is the slow vs fast zombies deal all over again. The new xeno is a shit-ton more deadly than the original variant. Is it better? Oh hell no. :)

Iron Infililtrator

Iron Infililtrator

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 31, 2017, 04:24:21 AM
This is the slow vs fast zombies deal all over again. The new xeno is a shit-ton more deadly than the original variant. Is it better? Oh hell no. :)
Yup that is precisely why, I love the new Alien Covenant design and I think it is deadly. You summed that up nicely, thank you. Maybe that's why we have been hearing peple saying that. Covenant did make a good design though. And I think the new xenomorph is pretty good but then again it does have those "dinosaur legs" that people were saying round here.

Xenomorphine

It never really does anything legitimately scary. The original one is iconic for that reason.

You can still run that scene with Dallas in the air ducts and people who've never watched it before will lose their shit, just like they begin to get visibly uncomfortable as Lambert meets her demise.

The most unsettling stuff in the new film was the backburster sequence (and not so much for the creature, whose CGI is obvious, but for the convincing character reactions of rising panic), but after that it's fairly by-the-numbers.

Iron Infililtrator

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 31, 2017, 11:54:53 PM
It never really does anything legitimately scary. The original one is iconic for that reason.

You can still run that scene with Dallas in the air ducts and people who've never watched it before will lose their shit, just like they begin to get visibly uncomfortable as Lambert meets her demise.

The most unsettling stuff in the new film was the backburster sequence (and not so much for the creature, whose CGI is obvious, but for the convincing character reactions of rising panic), but after that it's fairly by-the-numbers.
Somebody truly needs to put it to the test.

whiterabbit

It does a lot of scary things but the story is about David's desire to create the perfect organism... both of which are literally squashed and stabbed to death like bugs by a chick using her ingenuity. Yea perfect creature my ass. David's not quite there yet. Still I love the Covenant Aliens. They were slick, seemly too thin but yet structurally convincing in their strength and insatiable desire to kill what they are designed to kill. The lambs.

Still I totally agree with Dallas in the air ducts, that one still got me late into my 20's. It's perfect. However that shower scene with the tail, did Mr. Alien poke her in the butt or the front? If you wanna talk disturbing.

The cgi effects were great. No matter the media used, unreal things will still feel a little unreal but we're way past lame cgi now days. Dwelling on minor issues just isn't worth the energy. From my opinion, what truly makes practical sets and effects shine is how an actor is able to relate to a physical thing and environment. It's not how real or not cgi it is. Great actors can work with green men and screen but most actor needs some meat to work with.

Elmazalman

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 01, 2017, 02:01:03 AM

It does a lot of scary things but the story is about David's desire to create the perfect organism... both of which are literally squashed and stabbed to death like bugs by a chick using her ingenuity. Yea perfect creature my ass. David's not quite there yet. Still I love the Covenant Aliens. They were slick, seemly too thin but yet structurally convincing in their strength and insatiable desire to kill what they are designed to kill. The lambs.

Still I totally agree with Dallas in the air ducts, that one still got me late into my 20's. It's perfect. However that shower scene with the tail, did Mr. Alien poke her in the butt or the front? If you wanna talk disturbing.

The cgi effects were great. No matter the media used, unreal things will still feel a little unreal but we're way past lame cgi now days. Dwelling on minor issues just isn't worth the energy. From my opinion, what truly makes practical sets and effects shine is how an actor is able to relate to a physical thing and environment. It's not how real or not cgi it is. Great actors can work with green men and screen but most actor needs some meat to work with.
ALIEN did the tail thing (Lambert) nearly 40 years earlier with greater intensity.

Jonesy1974

I didn't think the Alien itself is even relevant to how scary the two films are. Its not the monsters themselves that make a horror movie frightening, its how the film is constructed that's the key.

Alien has an atmosphere of dread and hopelessness right from the start which Covenant doesn't match. Covenant doesn't intend to be a 'scary' movie in the way the original was though which was all about the horror.

Scenes like Brett and Dallas's deaths are slowly built up, gradually becoming more tense and you have no idea when or where the alien is going to strike. Lambert's death is scary because of what you don't see, her horrifying scream is enough to make you shudder. I like the shower scene in Covenant but its not scary because no tension or dread has been built up to the moment the Alien appears.

Those sequences in Alien are masterfully constructed. The only sequence in Covenant that I found matched that was the med bay sequence which was outstanding but didn't even feature the xeno.

But then I find very, very few horror movies genuinely scary and none of them are sequels.

MaximusGrandimus

The backburster was CGI? Seriously, this did not read as CGI to me but as a puppet and models. I have noticed with my 4K TV that, while sometimes sets do look like sets because of the clarity of the image, often CGI will look better - as in, better integrated to the surroundings, etc. - and thus more realistic.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: MaximusGrandimus on Sep 21, 2017, 09:45:10 PM
The backburster was CGI? Seriously, this did not read as CGI to me but as a puppet and models.

They filmed it practically but replaced some bits with CG. I think it actually falling out of Ledward's back is still practical in the finished film. The rest of the puppet work was replaced with CG.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed