Alien 3.. Has it aged well?

Started by Inverse Effect, Aug 25, 2017, 02:01:49 AM

Author
Alien 3.. Has it aged well? (Read 14,144 times)

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

Listening to the Soundtracks on Youtube Listen to 3:00 - Sounds epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGhudvg7gxI&list=RDw1bd9L5Tw7k&index=5

Got me thinking. Was this movie hated at the time? but 20-30 years later is now loved? for me it's aged well. The Assembly cut for me made this movie my favorite movie in the series next to Aliens.

Then this song  2:50 ... :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbXN96n5mLY&index=4&list=RDw1bd9L5Tw7k

It's so sad.... For me The Alien Series ended with Alien 3. The Characters....The horror they had to go through with this creature... Only to die
so uneventful ... (Hicks, Newt) Their Deaths were so Tragic... Ripley lost it all (Again) to the point where she Sacrificed herself to see this thing die with her, because she had nothing left at this point...

David Fincher made a lasting impression on the entire series that it can't recover from. Regardless how many reboots or Prequels it gets. Seems like Ridley can't get it off the ground neither.

I would love to See a Retcon of Alien 3. If only for two movies in Length. But i dunno man. Alien 3... Hate it or love it. It's the best (Last) Alien movie we had in a LONG while..

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Guts on Aug 25, 2017, 02:01:49 AM
I would love to See a Retcon of Alien 3.

Except that.

SM

SM

QuoteWas this movie hated at the time?

Not universally, but certainly widely disliked.

A number of the visual effects looked aged at the time too.

Quotebut 20-30 years later is now loved?

Not loved, but certainly given a fairer hearing.

The soundtrack is certainly a highlight.

Alionic

Alionic

The extended cut of Alien 3 is a great and complete film (compared to the theatrical release), and no, I do not want to see this it get retconned Genisys style.

Killing Ripley was a ballsy move, but I felt it was necessary, and it added a sense of finality to it along with all the doors shutting at the end. The relentless environment and nihilistic tone can metaphorically be seen as a reflection of the horrendous production it undertook IMO.

SM

SM

*Ahem*

The extended cut of Alien 3 doesn't correct any of the flaws of the theatrical version and creates more with needless repetition.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

That's more like it.

SM

SM

Ole!

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Didn't the Golic subplot totally redeem the movie?

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: SM on Aug 25, 2017, 03:27:25 AM
*Ahem*

The extended cut of Alien 3 doesn't correct any of the flaws of the theatrical version and creates more with needless repetition.

Fox PR account spotted.  :laugh:

SM

SM

I been saying that long before Fox started paying me.

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 25, 2017, 05:29:46 AM
Didn't the Golic subplot totally redeem the movie?

I wouldn't say 'totally redeem' the movie; but like much of the other content that was re-introduced into the extended cut, it helped to flesh out the movie a lot, bringing more character interactions which was needed to help differentiate all the bald poms from each other and aids in fleshing out Golic's fate much more than the overly truncated experience it was originally released as.

Most people will say the extended cut is superior than the theatrical release - even if they themselves don't like either version of the movie.

The extended cut is the superior version. 

As to how well it has aged, it's done quite well.  Aside from some lighting mismatches and compositing lines, sure, it's a good movie.  The simple set and costume design has helped a lot.  These are areas where both previous movies do show their age.  Then again, it is the most recent of the first 3.

I would say 'ALIEN: Resurrection' hasn't aged well well, at all. 

-Windebieste.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

At least it didn't have the damn skull.  >:(

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

All Alien³ needs is a little bit of the George Lucas Special Edition™ treatment. Fix up the effects for goodness sake!

Rankles75

Rankles75

Not touching that one with a 10ft bargepole...  ;)

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 25, 2017, 07:40:27 AM
All Alien³ needs is a little bit of the George Lucas Special Edition™ treatment. Fix up the effects for goodness sake!

It doesn't need extra windows in walls or some of the other overboard stuff Lucas added.  A thorough tidy up of the dated visuals is all.   It just needs to have the lighting issues on the composited puppet fixed and the final CGI shot of the head cracking to be more convincing.  Beyond that, it doesn't need much attention.  Fix up the flying particles in some of the external shots on F161, maybe.  Then it's good.   I'd be really happy if they were addressed.  Hey, Fox wouldn't have to spend too much on just a few issues here and there and I'd buy it.

-Windebieste

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed