A Franchise On Life Support-Time For A Buyout

Started by Toxic34, Aug 19, 2017, 01:44:42 AM

Author
A Franchise On Life Support-Time For A Buyout (Read 3,461 times)

Toxic34

I didn't want things to be this way, but here we are. Simply put, since Alien 3, the franchise has for the most part been on a downhill slide. The third film has become the millstone around its neck, cursing it from once again achieving the heights that the first two films achieved. 3 was however, at least very well put together, considering the damaged goods the film is. Simply put, William Gordon's script should've been where the series went, I agree with many that the series should not rely on Ripley and other beloved characters to exist and be good. But to unceremoniously snap Newt and Hicks out of the picture and shit all over the fans is unforgivable. Credit to David Fincher for doing what he could with the material and showing the flashes of his brilliance to come. Resurrection is simply, a giant turd that can't be disguised. It is an empty, hollow shell of a film disguised as an Alien sequel. Everything about this movie is wrong. AvP and its sequel proved that what works in video games and comics can't be counted on to translate into film. (And f**k you, Paul W.S. Anderson. It's not enough that you have to destroy Resident Evil, but you have to go here as well?)  AvP 2010 is a really good game, though it supports something that should not be considered canon. Colonial Marines is a total clusterf**k, the incredibly incoherent scribblings of someone who only a fan in the sense someone could actually like Michael Bay's Transformers series, take all the big, dumb explosions and cram it in there as much as possible, and put in things that you liked, regardless of whether it serves the narrative well. Isolation was a welcome breath of fresh air, but the fact that Sega has been battling to stay above water means we will not have a full consummation of what we were promised to have follow. Prometheus was a very intriguing idea, with ambition to match, and it is quite well done, though it is hampered by immensely stupid supporting characters, and the original idea of a 2-part film would've been far better, as the material would've had time to breathe and bloom. Covenant works to please everyone, and ends up pleasing almost no one, with its relatively slapdash, mix and match method, and choosing to throw those who wanted the previous film's questions answered under the bus. Neill Blomkamp's film offered a way back, a way to finally clear the decks of the rot that has occurred, and a chance for Ripley's character arc to have a satisfying end and hand the torch to new characters, but thanks to Fox, we can't have nice things when it comes to Alien, can we?

It is fair to say that as a franchise, Alien is essentially dead, hanging on by life support and the ravenous desire of Fox executives to rake in money. Ridley Scott has ossified into a jealous, possessive, haggard creature, whose admirable desire to keep making films and create visual tapestries is hampered by an inability to find scripts worthy of his talents as of late. And for every gem that happens, he immediately veers back into making incredibly putrid pieces. His judgment on the series is no longer sound, and he can't be trusted to be its guardian. But the bigger liabilities in the entire story happen to be David Giler and Walter Hill. They have rubber stamped every bad decision that has made, and helped make several of their own, notably helping create the final version of the Alien 3 script. We will always have their decision to form Brandywine Productions, and Walter Hill's making The Warriors, but it simply is time for them to go.

If there is any hope of reviving the series, there is only one option. A buyout of Brandywine and the rights to the franchise. Remove Giler and Hill from the leadership, and put in fresh, new blood that can help rebuild it all. And prying franchise away from Fox, who simply are not going to do right by the series, no matter how hard we demand it. It's time for a fresh start, with new owners and a new studio guiding the way. Much as it seems cliched by this point and it only makes them look like they're the example of someone who wants to monopolize entertainment, Disney is really the only option at this point. With their resources, and the hiring of new talent, Alien can undergo a spectacular rebirth. And Ellen Ripley can finally have the ending she deserves.

We must do what we can to make this happen. Much like how we must also work to do a buyout of the rights to Metalocalypse and Aqua Teen Hunger Force, or have Mike Lazzo removed from the leadership of Adult Swim.

windebieste

The series is at its healthiest now for over a decade.

-Windebieste.

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: Toxic34 on Aug 19, 2017, 01:44:42 AM
Neill Blomkamp's film offered a way back, a way to finally clear the decks of the rot that has occurred, and a chance for Ripley's character arc to have a satisfying end and hand the torch to new characters,

...new characters like a resurrected Hicks and Newt? Such originality!

Quote from: Toxic34 on Aug 19, 2017, 01:44:42 AM
Ridley Scott has ossified into a jealous, possessive, haggard creature,

Oh...

SM

William Gordon?

Giler and Hill haven't had any direct involvement for 25 years.

And all the movies, including the less popular ones such as Alien 3 and Resurrection and the AvPs have been profitable.  Prometheus did quite well, Covenant less so, but still made money.

Why would Fox sell it exactly?

Xhan

Xhan

Yes, as a movie franchise and also a scifi series that made any f**king sense at all Alien is dead. Bereft of life etc etc etc

As a licensing cash cow, Alien is exactly where it's been since 2010, making pretty ok money for Fox from desperate fans whom will still purchase almost anything literally sight unseen.

For anyone to purchase the franchise wholesale would requires hundreds of millions of dollars.

Quotedisney

Thanks for making me almost spit water on my monitor. If you think Perlmutter is the guy to be in charge of Alien, which would be the case, I have some Arizona seafront for the cheap you can buy off me sight  unseen. Disney is the commercialized plastic wrapped spoon fed milquetoast lowest common denominator FOX wishes it was twenty years ago, much less now.

windebieste

Sell.  To.  Disney..?  LOL... Absolutely not. 

Think of the Chinese mainland edit of 'ALIEN Covenant' with most of the footage of the Alien removed.  Then take out all the gore, swearing and anything that may be offensive to conservative family values, then you've got a Disney movie.

It's the most f**ked up retarded, property breaking idea ever.  f**king Disney's audience expectations do not include chestbursting and faces being ripped off by slimy shit from space. 

f**k Disney.  Just f**k 'em.  f**k them to Hell and back.  f**k them up the arse with a leaking dishwasher full of salt and lemon juice.  Just f**k that 'Sell the 'ALIEN' property to Disney' idea completely.  Just f**k it.  lol.

I'd rather see Fox sell the 'ALIEN' property to China before Disney ever got their hands on it.  Mind you, as stated above, they aint gonna sell it any time soon.  So, it's no big deal. 

-Windebieste.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I think its funny that some fans seem to think that making an amazing film that becomes a classic should be easy. Im astonished they caught "lighting in a bottle" twice in a row with Alien and Aliens. We're probably never going going to see that again in this series and if it were easy to replicate that success it would have been done. That said I dont require a film to be an instant classic that sits at the top of its genre in order like and enjoy it.

Alien3, prometheus, and covenant are good flicks that i find very enjoyable. A:R and AvP have some nice qaulities and can be fun to watch. It has remained a pretty great and entertaining franchise long after the amazing first two films and is certainly not dead or dying.

Alionic

Quote from: Xhan on Aug 19, 2017, 06:15:15 AM
Quotedisney

Thanks for making me almost spit water on my monitor. If you think Perlmutter is the guy to be in charge of Alien, which would be the case, I have some Arizona seafront for the cheap you can buy off me sight  unseen. Disney is the commercialized plastic wrapped spoon fed milquetoast lowest common denominator FOX wishes it was twenty years ago, much less now.

Yeah, just look at what did Disney did to Star Wars. TFA was a scene by scene replica of ANH, and the writing in Rogue One was so lazy to the point where they literally CGI'd dead actors onto the screen. Everything, and I mean everything is tightly controlled at Disney. Those screenwriters and directors essentially have no power at all. Disney films are meticulously market researched in order to generate as much money as possible. They don't care about risks, originality, and even art IMO. It's all about that green paper to them. Don't even get me started on the generic formula of their Marvel films.

In fact, Blomkamp probably beat them to the Hicks and Newt retcon idea LOL.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 19, 2017, 08:56:46 AM
Sell.  To.  Disney..?  LOL... Absolutely not. 

Think of the Chinese mainland edit of 'ALIEN Covenant' with most of the footage of the Alien removed.  Then take out all the gore, swearing and anything that may be offensive to conservative family values, then you've got a Disney movie.

It's the most f**ked up retarded, property breaking idea ever.  f**king Disney's audience expectations do not include chestbursting and faces being ripped off by slimy shit from space. 

f**k Disney.  Just f**k 'em.  f**k them to Hell and back.  f**k them up the arse with a leaking dishwasher full of salt and lemon juice.  Just f**k that 'Sell the 'ALIEN' property to Disney' idea completely.  Just f**k it.  lol.

I'd rather see Fox sell the 'ALIEN' property to China before Disney ever got their hands on it.  Mind you, as stated above, they aint gonna sell it any time soon.  So, it's no big deal. 

-Windebieste.

Disney would make nothing but Alien/Aliens/Prometheus-level quality entries for perpetuity.

Local Trouble

While it may not be time for a buyout, it may be time to stop calling it "Alien" since it's really about monsters created by a robot created by humans from Earth.

Alionic

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Aug 19, 2017, 07:47:43 PM
Disney would make nothing but Alien/Aliens/Prometheus-level quality entries for perpetuity.

I can't tell if you're being serious, much like the OP.

Elmazalman

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 19, 2017, 12:48:04 PM
I think its funny that some fans seem to think that making an amazing film that becomes a classic should be easy. Im astonished they caught "lighting in a bottle" twice in a row with Alien and Aliens. We're probably never going going to see that again in this series and if it were easy to replicate that success it would have been done. That said I dont require a film to be an instant classic that sits at the top of its genre in order like and enjoy it.

"Lightning in a bottle" has happened more than a few times to films, happily enough: THE GODFATHER (I & II), STAR WARS (Ep IV & V), MAD MAX (1 & 2), THE TERMINATOR (1 & 2) and ALIEN - as you've mentioned. Strange how it's always the third film in the series, that struggles to match the quality of the first two.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Alionic on Aug 19, 2017, 08:51:31 PM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Aug 19, 2017, 07:47:43 PM

I can't tell if you're being serious, much like the OP.

Yes. I mean why wouldn't they make good Alien films. It'd be like a Marvel situation. Disney buys Marvel, but let's them do their thing in their corner. Disney just distributes.

Literally any franchise ever would be lucky to have Disney.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Aug 19, 2017, 10:49:16 PM
Yes. I mean why wouldn't they make good Alien films. It'd be like a Marvel situation. Disney buys Marvel, but let's them do their thing in their corner. Disney just distributes.

Because Disney is a family oriented studio. They don't really do R rated stuff, which is what the Alien franchise is all about. You won't see R rated Marvel films under Disney (for example: Deadpool and Logan came out under 20th Century Fox).

Quote from: Elmazalman on Aug 19, 2017, 09:00:57 PM
Strange how it's always the third film in the series, that struggles to match the quality of the first two.
Can't really agree with this. Third installments are often quite good. Here are some examples:

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2. Back to the Future 3
3. Toy Story 3
4. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
5. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
6. Day of the Dead
7. Die Hard: With A Vengeance
8. Mission: Impossible 3
9. Goldmember
10. The Bourne Ultimatum

Elmazalman

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Aug 19, 2017, 11:13:40 PM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Aug 19, 2017, 10:49:16 PM

Because Disney is a family oriented studio. They don't really do R rated stuff, which is what the Alien franchise is all about. You won't see R rated Marvel films under Disney (for example: Deadpool and Logan came out under 20th Century Fox).

Quote from: Elmazalman on Aug 19, 2017, 09:00:57 PM
Strange how it's always the third film in the series, that struggles to match the quality of the first two.
Can't really agree with this. Third installments are often quite good. Here are some examples:

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2. Back to the Future 3
3. Toy Story 3
4. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
5. The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
6. Day of the Dead
7. Die Hard: With A Vengeance
8. Mission: Impossible 3
9. Goldmember
10. The Bourne Ultimatum
I'd say DAY OF THE DEAD (1985) is the weakest of the original DEAD trilogy. Imo.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed