davids eggs?

Started by mn2movies, Aug 15, 2017, 05:51:03 PM

Author
davids eggs? (Read 4,110 times)

mn2movies

mn2movies

i still have a lot of questions,  sorting through them 1 by 1,  i am not gonna buy the blu ray yet  ill wait,  bet more footage will be released soon

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: SM on Aug 16, 2017, 03:25:28 AM
Other than the one David picks up and shows Oram?

Better late than never  ;D

Evanus

Evanus

Those mini eggs are so cute.   ;D

BlackMatter169

BlackMatter169

If there's one thing I actually liked about Covenant, it was David's creepy basement lab. It reminded me of the botched clone lab in Resurrection, but with some added creepiness.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: BlackMatter169 on Sep 28, 2017, 09:59:33 PM
If there's one thing I actually liked about Covenant, it was David's creepy basement lab. It reminded me of the botched clone lab in Resurrection, but with some added creepiness.

I think in an earlier script it was bigger and creepier. And some drawings on animal skins instead of paper.

Scorpio

Scorpio

My biggest question for the movie is why the human embryos?  How did they get there?  How will they gestate?  Because if there is a way to gestate those embryos onboard the Covenant, then David can also gestate those facehugger embryos.

But back to the human embryos, maybe David can use them to make more eggs or continue his experiments.  He doesn't even need the colonists.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 29, 2017, 01:15:27 AM
My biggest question for the movie is why the human embryos?  How did they get there?  How will they gestate?  Because if there is a way to gestate those embryos onboard the Covenant, then David can also gestate those facehugger embryos.

But back to the human embryos, maybe David can use them to make more eggs or continue his experiments.  He doesn't even need the colonists.

Well it's fairly obvious that the people on the Covenant are not coming back. It doesn't take too much imagination as to how they would use embryos.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 29, 2017, 01:15:27 AM

They probably have some high tech equipment to gestate them.
Might be easier and safer than to take care of pregnant women on an unexplored planet.

Both the embryos and colonists should provide plenty of opportunity for trial and error when it comes to experimenting.
Hopefully we're going to see some freaky shit. Or give me an extra in the form of a proper documentary made and presented by David. Like an evil Attenborough  ;D

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: Highland on Sep 29, 2017, 01:24:46 AM

Well it's fairly obvious that the people on the Covenant are not coming back. It doesn't take too much imagination as to how they would use embryos.

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Sep 29, 2017, 02:38:20 AM

Might be easier and safer than to take care of pregnant women on an unexplored planet.

But isn't that the point of having couples?  They can reproduce, hence why the need for embryos?  Yes, I know there are gay couples, but that's not the point.  Most of them are male/female couples.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 29, 2017, 02:48:33 AMBut isn't that the point of having couples?  They can reproduce, hence why the need for embryos?  Yes, I know there are gay couples, but that's not the point.  Most of them are male/female couples.

Safety measure? Stem cell research? Cloning? Spare parts? There was place left in the fridge and a bunch of human embryos fell off the back of a space truck? Some person at Weyland-Yutani has a thing for them and demanded the expedition brought along some embryos? Franco was an embryo eater and they're part of his secret stash?

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 29, 2017, 02:48:33 AM
Quote from: Highland on Sep 29, 2017, 01:24:46 AM

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Sep 29, 2017, 02:38:20 AM

But isn't that the point of having couples?  They can reproduce, hence why the need for embryos?  Yes, I know there are gay couples, but that's not the point.  Most of them are male/female couples.

Again, without being an expert on populating planets, time would be a huge factor. Could they reproduce in a surplus to cover deaths just by regular breeding at 1 year intervals? Probably not, considering each child wouldn't be ready to reproduce until 16 (what kind of Planet are we running here!) and the window of pregnancy for the current females would be small. Then you've got boys vs girls by the number, cross/inbreeding, disease, bad luck.

The couples thing on the Covenant ship is probably not for reproduction purposes, but more just because it's easier to settle in a new place with people you know.

Scorpio

Scorpio

You need about 2.1 births per woman to have a stable population.  That's achievable in a population of 2000 colonists.

It would take time to grow the human embryos too.  And who's going to look after them?  Whose embryos are they?

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 29, 2017, 05:35:48 AM
You need about 2.1 births per woman to have a stable population.  That's achievable in a population of 2000 colonists.

It would take time to grow the human embryos too.  And who's going to look after them?  Whose embryos are they?

Androids I would assume. Considering some of the couples are gay then I doubt the object of the colonists is for reproduction. I dunno, what's not to "get" about humans using embryos when colonising a new planet. Seems fairly straight forward.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Scorpio on Sep 29, 2017, 02:48:33 AM

Genetic diversity. I'm no expert on it but even if 2000 colonists is acceptable, another 1000 or so (can't remember the exact amount) is better.

SM

SM

1140 embryos I think.  The genetic diversity point makes sense (to this layman).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed