I hate Fiefeld SO much.

Started by bobby brown, Aug 11, 2017, 10:57:21 AM

Author
I hate Fiefeld SO much. (Read 53,848 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SiL on Dec 11, 2017, 08:14:39 PM
A hissing alien snake is also an indication that danger is present.

A different type of danger, though.  One a biologist should be aware of.

...yeah, she is. She's nervous and griping the entire time. She clearly doesn't want to be there.

And no explanation given as to why.  Is that poor writing?  Maybe she need two pages of exposition to fill in the audience.  Maybe some background info like when she was a little girl she wandered into a cave and discovered a dead body, and the fear has remained with her ever since.  That would clear things up for the audience.

QuoteAnd when did anyone have a problem with Fifield leaving...?

I don't know, so the problem is only with Milburn leaving is it?

SiL

SiL

You're actually trying to miss the point by now,  surely.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 11, 2017, 08:29:30 PM
Quote from: SiL on Dec 11, 2017, 08:14:39 PM
She's nervous and griping the entire time. She clearly doesn't want to be there.
To add to that, I picked up a display of apprehension on Lambert's part before they even left the ship. Starting at the dialogue.....

KANE: I'll volunteer for the first group to go out.

DALLAS: Yea, that figures. You too, Lambert.

LAMBERT: Swell.

Watch her reaction in that scene, besides her sardonic reply, and I can only speculate what she's thinking, but her expression is of someone who's feeling an air of dread. Fear of the unknown? Who knows, point is, I get the impression she is not happy about getting "volunteered."

She also wants to turn back, and when they get to the ship she says "Let's get out of here."

Quote from: SiL on Dec 11, 2017, 09:07:09 PM
You're actually trying to miss the point by now,  surely.

I'm not even sure what the point is anymore. Where are we? What does any of this mean anymore?

Why are we here?

Oh, yeah... Albino Space Men peed in a waterfall...

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 11, 2017, 07:28:28 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 11, 2017, 06:40:30 PM
Where is that established in the film? Could you please provide quotes, screengrabs or clips.
Official Fox material from the Alien Legacy DVD set, Alien Anthology BD set......unless you think official Fox material for an official Fox film is nothing more than fan fiction.

Yes, but where in the film itself is that established?

And anyway, didn't you mention a few posts ago that Kane was some kind of addled drug addict that shouldn't even have been aboard the ship in the first place? Except now he's suddenly an "extremely intelligent" and clear minded intellectual with "medical, military and engineering degrees" who shouldn't have done such a silly little thing like sticking his head into an egg? What is it to be?

QuoteAgain I remind you comparing it to a harmless egg is a weak tactic. It's an unknown never before explored alien regardless of it's form. You trying to reduce it to a chicken egg is ludicrous.

Well, I could reduce it to a crocodile egg and the same would still apply. Even so, the eggs that Kane encountered was an unknown danger. It wasn't an obviously agitated space cobra.

Quote......until a second later when Kane ignorantly stuck his nose in the egg.

And a few moments ago he had accidentally bumped into one with nothing bad happening to him.

QuoteCondensing? I will assume you meant condescending.

Yes thank you, that typo was spotted and edited long before your helpful reply.

Now when you say attitude towards others here, do you mean the kind of attitude like.......
Quote from: SiL on Sep 08, 2017, 01:46:48 PM
If you're going to be that pedantic..........

or do you mean the kind of attitude like.......
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 29, 2017, 08:06:20 PM
Intelligent retort.

or do you mean the kind of attitude like.......
Quote from: SiL on Dec 10, 2017, 11:22:06 PM
Right across from you at the Department of Missing the Point and Acting Smug About It!

or do you mean the kind of attitude like....... (my personal favorite ;))
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 02, 2017, 09:28:02 PM
Some real Olympic-class conclusion jumpers on this board!  :laugh:

Is that kind of attitude you mean? Please clarify..... ;)

Wow, that's some really bad sportsmanship. Shape up you guys!  >:(

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 11, 2017, 09:09:26 PM

She also wants to turn back, and when they get to the ship she says "Let's get out of here."

Yes, that's a very good point, it wasn't completely out of the blue.

But neither were Milburn/Fifield's reaction to the dead Jockey/Engineer.  They were already shown to be critical and apprehensive about the mission.  Just like Lambert is in Alien.  But for some reason one gets the pass yet the other does not.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 11, 2017, 09:56:22 PM
Yes, but where in the film itself is that established?
You already know that answer, it's established nowhere in the film. Nothing wrong with you dismissing official Fox material that, you know, consumers open the DVD jacket and read more official backstory on the official Fox film they just purchased, as long as you understand not everyone has to abide by your dismissal.

It's officially established, you just don't like the official answer and where it came from......officially.  ;D

And anyway, didn't you mention a few posts ago that Kane was some kind of addled drug addict that shouldn't even have been aboard the ship in the first place? Except now he's suddenly an "extremely intelligent" and clear minded intellectual with "medical, military and engineering degrees" who shouldn't have done such a silly little thing like sticking his head into an egg? What is it to be?
Not much point in explaining that to you if you dismiss official Fox material. So let me know if you ever decide Fox has the right to include official back story to their official Fox films, then I will proceed to pick apart your weak argument. . . . ;)

Well, I could reduce it to a crocodile egg and the same would still apply.
So......... it's a crocodile egg now, oh well that's different! You know just the other day I picked up a crocodile egg and the first thing that raced in my mind, "hmm, wow that reminds me exactly of a mysterious alien in an alien spaceship on a distant world....... ;)

Even so, the eggs that Kane encountered was an unknown danger.
Ahh, so "unknown" equates to you as "safe.".....heh. Good to know that if I ever encounter an unknown alien, according to Passenger's logic, I can assume it's safe to approach it.

It wasn't an obviously agitated space cobra.
Neither was the Hammerpede. It was an elongated reptile type creature that simply opened it facial flaps and nothing more on the initial encounter........just like the egg opened its portal flaps and nothing more on the initial encounter.

And a few moments ago he had accidentally bumped into one with nothing bad happening to him.
So one of out two alien egg encounters he was attacked. What you're concluding here is Kane had no more than a 50% chance of not being harmed. Most reassuring.  :P

QuoteYes thank you, that typo was spotted and edited long before your helpful reply.
I can only go by what clicking on the quote provides me. But don't I get at least two points for assuming correctly what you intended? Come on, be a sport!

Wow, that's some really bad sportsmanship. Shape up you guys!  >:(
Heh, heh, you're the one who got his feelings all hurt because of "attitude" that, you know.......wasn't even directed at you.

But I'm sure those guys must feel real safe you're playing their forum hero.  :laugh:

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 11, 2017, 08:21:14 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 11, 2017, 07:49:02 AM
It's about the inconsistent nature of the writing of the characters and the stupid things they do in the process. Dead bodies, spooky spooky. Snake-dick-vagina monster hissing at me? LET ME TRY TO GRAB IT!
And you think that is totally impossible in real life? A person who has a fascination with dangerous snakes, even keeps them as pets, but that same person jumps on the top of the couch in fear if they see a spider on the floor? Just to be clear, these type of people do indeed exist. But I guess they are not allowed to exist in fiction. No sir, not at all. Can't have that!

Wouldn't it be great if human beings were great at being human? But that is naive to think human nature abides by that virtue, and inconsistent behavior is a regular staple among our species. Anyone who doesn't realize this, needs to spend less time in the world of fiction and more time watching real people.

People who don't understand Milburn's actions with that snake are clearly not familiar with where Steve Irwin ended up.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Alionic on Dec 12, 2017, 02:59:36 AM
People who don't understand Milburn's actions with that snake are clearly not familiar with where Steve Irwin ended up.
I already tried the Irwin angle, but the Negative Nancys here dismissed it on the anemic loophole Irwin didn't have a formal degree in Biology, so they disqualified Steve to be used as a comparison.

Heh, whatever.

Alionic

Alionic

To this day, I'm still surprised and baffled that it was a stingray instead of a crocodile.

SiL

SiL

Steve Irwin wouldn't have run from a decapitated body as being too spooky, though.

That's the point.

Milburn running from the body -- fine.

Milburn sticking his hand in the snake's face -- stupid, but fine.

Both together -- not fine.

This is the issue. We can address one or the other; it's trying to reconcile the two where people end up with "because, uh, humans! Obviously!"

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: SiL
Steve Irwin wouldn't have run from a decapitated body as being too spooky, though.
That seems to be your mantra, but I don't think you get to speak on behalf of the dead Steve Irwin on how he might react to seeing a dead and decapitated alien....and neither do I.

That's the point.

Milburn running from the body -- fine.
Here's also the point.

Right here, you got to wonder if those drumming up this "need for reconiliation" somehow saw Milburn shrieking like a little girl and scrambling his feet like a gazelle upon sight of an alien decapitated body. He sat there and contemplated before deciding he would prefer the ship. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar......no matter how much you hate the cigar.

Milburn sticking his hand in the snake's face -- stupid, but fine.
Once again, Stever Irwin and his history of risking his life with dangerous creatures. Enough said.

Both together -- not fine.

This is the issue.
It's not THE issue......it's your issue.

We can address one or the other; it's trying to reconcile the two.....
We? I have nothing to reconcile. A character preferred the ship, later he gets curious about a small creature.  You're drumming up the need for reconciliation. Not everyone is on board with your reconciliation campaign, but good luck with that.

......where people end up with "because, uh, humans! Obviously!"
.......and your party ends up with melodramatic descriptions like, "because, uh, spooky, spooky!".......;)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 12, 2017, 08:17:43 AMIt's not THE issue......it's your issue.

It's an issue a hell of a lot of people have with the film.

Because it's f*cking stupid.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

What an immensely painful thread and set of interactions to have to have read through. Can everyone involved tone down the attitudes?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Dec 12, 2017, 08:17:43 AM
That seems to be your mantra, but I don't think you get to speak on behalf of the dead Steve Irwin on how he might react to seeing a dead and decapitated alien....and neither do I.
You're the one dragging his memory into this.

QuoteHe sat there and contemplated before deciding he would prefer the ship.
And had no interest in studying the dead alien organism that would be the find of a century.

But then stuck his hand in the face of a living one without considering the possibility of keeping his distance.

One or the other is fine. Both together with nothing to link the two is bad writing. Something as simple as Milburn telling them to bring him back a sample, or saying he wanted to follow the guy with the map, would have cleared it up. But that didn't happen, and we're left with poor writing.

QuoteIt's not THE issue......it's your issue.
It's the issue that's being discussed.

QuoteWe? I have nothing to reconcile.
And yet you keep trying ???

Quote.......and your party ends up with melodramatic descriptions like, "because, uh, spooky, spooky!".......;)
We end up with "This is a poorly written character who is only doing what the plot dictates, and does not feel anything like a character with any thought behind them".

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

And yet you keep trying ???
Hmm good point. Good luck with your reconciliation campaign.  :laugh:

And I commend you for the maturity of butting heads in one topic, but remaining civil in other topics.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed