I hate Fiefeld SO much.

Started by bobby brown, Aug 11, 2017, 10:57:21 AM

Author
I hate Fiefeld SO much. (Read 53,320 times)

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 31, 2017, 09:53:21 PM
Apparently according to his character profile he's done other missions for Weyland.
Ahh, first I heard that. Intriguing. Thanks for share!

Scorpio

Scorpio

No worries.

I think the reason for the cynicism in certain characters like Fifield is to make Shaw stand out more.  She's optimistic about the mission, and that creates an interesting dynamic between the characters.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'm still waiting for your declaration of hatred.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

:-*

Scorpio

Scorpio

At least he's not a rapist.  :P

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Best not to make assumptions.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Oct 31, 2017, 09:14:20 PMwould someone like Fifield pass the mustard?

Gold.  :D

Alien³

Alien³

I think he looks one or two steps away from being sent to Fury 161.

Scorpio

Scorpio

skhellter

skhellter

Prometheus is actually a good Dumb and Dumber spin off.

Vermillion

Vermillion

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 30, 2017, 01:25:16 PM
Burke was an effective character. He started out being "an okay guy" for the most part, especially in how gently he handled Ripley and then when he backed her up against Gorman cowardice.  I think that's what made the revelation of his true colors all the more disgusting.  We felt as betrayed as Ripley did for allowing ourselves to like him.
Just like Bishop 2 in Alien3.
He was a Droid. 
Misdirection

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Scorpio on Nov 01, 2017, 12:46:00 AM
No worries.

I think the reason for the cynicism in certain characters like Fifield is to make Shaw stand out more.  She's optimistic about the mission, and that creates an interesting dynamic between the characters.

* The issue here is; what the viewer knows is not = to what the characters know/believe.
- The viewer knows there will be space alien monsters in the movie/story.
- The two scientists, Fifield and Milburn, do not expect that and they do not believe in that possibility.

* This is based on Vickers who set up the mission and who hired the two scientists.
- Vickers expected to find nothing important on LV-223 as she stated in the movie.
She was convinced no giant space aliens would be found.
She hired a geologist and biologist who were completely against Shaw's theory.
- The two scientists made this clear in the staff briefing.

* Logically the two scientists not only didn't believe in giant space aliens, they had no interest in giant space aliens.
- This is why Milburn walked away from the decapitated Engineer.
- This is why Fifield says to Shaw that he had no interest with giant space aliens.
They were hired because they agreed with Vickers and not Shaw. 

* But Milburn was interested in primitive life forms like worms and snakes.
This is why Milburn tried to examine or even capture the Hammerpede.
Wildlife experts do that kind of thing in our world, for research or for putting animals in zoos; And several of them have been killed by poisonous snakes in non fiction.
It is plausible that this can happen to a character like Milburn.   

;)

Edit; grammar/clarity

SM

SM

A biologist that isn't interested in biology.  Except when he is.

Righto then.

Kurai

Kurai

Quote from: SM on Dec 08, 2017, 09:06:38 PM
A biologist that isn't interested in biology.  Except when he is.

Righto then.

Biology is quite a massive field and interests can vary drastically, Milburn also may just be totally freaked out about the implications the dead Engineer has on his understanding of biology.

The hammerpede would have been more in line with his outward perception on exobiology, making him feel more comfortable. There's also the established dynamic of him trying to get Fiefield to like him and was probably... Peacocking? Trying to present an outward appearance of being far more competent and knowledgeable than he really was in the situation.

SM

SM

He was definitely sucking up to Fifield, but running away from a dead extra-terrestrial makes him look stupid.  And in a movie like this, stupidity doesn't garner sympathy.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed