Cameron on Alien Covenant

Started by 0321recon, Aug 10, 2017, 09:55:22 PM

Author
Cameron on Alien Covenant (Read 60,370 times)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I don't know what exactly the debate is here but I pick Alien: Covenant over Titanic and Avatar any day. Although Cameron did get them old ladies wet with Titanic and don't they deserve movies too?

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: Hide on Aug 21, 2017, 06:01:52 AM
So, you guys think that Covenant is a better film than Titanic or Avatar?

Absolutely. Titanic was a clichéd love story, and Avatar plagiarized Dances With Wolves/Pocahontas/etc.

In fact, I prefer the Alien 3 Assembly Cut before either of those films.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Terminator 2 was the last Cameron film I liked. True Lies has some great action sequences but I found the racial stereotypes and misogyny a little distasteful.

Cameron always told very simple, basic stories with very stereotypical characters but he was fantastic at creating tension and suspense. He was also brilliant and innovative with action scenes. His early films all move at good pace, real thrill rides.

In latter years his films have got longer and longer with less and less action. For me the characters and story in Avatar and Titanic just aren't interesting enough to keep me invested. Both films just bore me to tears. I know i'm in the minority and both are hugely popular but I'll never be able to understand why.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

True Lies is a great film but I really wish Cameron cut out the interrogation of Harry's wife. That entire scene was just so damn abusive. Calling it cruel would be a gross understatement.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 21, 2017, 07:55:35 AM
True Lies is a great film but I really wish Cameron cut out the interrogation of Harry's wife. That entire scene was just so damn abusive. Calling it cruel would be a gross understatement.

That scene is so awful. Very uncomfortable to watch on just about every level.

Highland

Highland

Yeah but it's Harry that's interrogating her. Personally I didn't see it as abusive, I was kinda thinking I'd grill my wife the same lol. Plus it was a comedy too.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Highland on Aug 21, 2017, 10:05:53 AM

Yeah but it's Harry that's interrogating her. Personally I didn't see it as abusive, I was kinda thinking I'd grill my wife the same lol. Plus it was a comedy too.
In the context of the scene I think they are trying to determine whether or not Helen is a spy but it's clear that Harry was more interested in if she was cheating on him. Yea true, their relationship is more or less a convenience for him but good god that was a mean spirited thing to do for information he, as a spy, should have already known. :P

Highland

Highland

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 21, 2017, 12:04:19 PM

In the context of the scene I think they are trying to determine whether or not Helen is a spy but it's clear that Harry was more interested in if she was cheating on him. Yea true, their relationship is more or less a convenience for him but good god that was a mean spirited thing to do for information he, as a spy, should have already known. :P

They know Helen isn't a spy, that's the point lol

The whole point is purely to find out if Helens been screwing Paxton. There's no other reason. Harry is just abusing his position.

Alionic

Alionic

That was best scene in the film, actually. Jamie Lee Curtis acting like a stripper was one of the better part of the 90s.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I'm gonna disagree, I enjoy Avatar a whole lot more than covenant.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Highland on Aug 21, 2017, 12:34:43 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 21, 2017, 12:04:19 PM

They know Helen isn't a spy, that's the point lol

The whole point is purely to find out if Helens been screwing Paxton. There's no other reason. Harry is just abusing his position.
That makes it even worse.

Quote from: Alionic on Aug 21, 2017, 03:39:17 PM

That was best scene in the film, actually. Jamie Lee Curtis acting like a stripper was one of the better part of the 90s.
Talking about the interrogation itself.

PierreVW

PierreVW

I prefer GLADIATOR, BLACK HAWK DOWN, THELMA & LOUISE and THE MARTIAN over all James Cameron movies.

Highland

Highland

Gladiator is a classic, I only watched the others once though.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: PierreVW on Aug 21, 2017, 08:29:52 PM
I prefer GLADIATOR, BLACK HAWK DOWN, THELMA & LOUISE and THE MARTIAN over all James Cameron movies.
I hate to say it but Terminator 1 and 2 are better than all of those.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 22, 2017, 02:30:55 AM
Quote from: PierreVW on Aug 21, 2017, 08:29:52 PM
I hate to say it but Terminator 1 and 2 are better than all of those.

I disagree. But I was talking since 1991.

I love Terminator 1 but that is too far. 33 years ago. 1984.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed