Cameron on Alien Covenant

Started by 0321recon, Aug 10, 2017, 09:55:22 PM

Author
Cameron on Alien Covenant (Read 59,781 times)

Rudiger

Rudiger

Maybe when the multiplexes get 3D right, I might be prepared to go along with Scott's apparent love of the format. But while we continue to get crappy glasses that are uncomfortable and usually dirty, images that appear dull and then royally ripped off for the privilege, it will remain purely a home cinema thing for me.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: Rudiger on Aug 14, 2017, 03:19:30 PM
Maybe when the multiplexes get 3D right, I might be prepared to go along with Scott's apparent love of the format. But while we continue to get crappy glasses that are uncomfortable and usually dirty, images that appear dull and then royally ripped off for the privilege, it will remain purely a home cinema thing for me.

Shame.

My experiences have been, for the most part, great. The greatest were PROMETHEUS and THE MARTIAN in 3D. TRANSFORMERS III in 3D was a very good experience too.

Tonyhartmorph

Tonyhartmorph

"I love Ridley's films and I love his film making , I love the beauty of the photography, I love the visceral sense that you're there, that you're present .... It's not a film that I would have made. I don't like films where you invest in a character and they get destroyed at the end. I would not have made that film"

Lolz (that's what you type, right?) Flashback time.

Anyway, I am invested with a character in this series, he's called David.

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: PierreVW on Aug 14, 2017, 08:29:34 PM
Quote from: Rudiger on Aug 14, 2017, 03:19:30 PM

Shame.

My experiences have been, for the most part, great. The greatest were PROMETHEUS and THE MARTIAN in 3D. TRANSFORMERS III in 3D was a very good experience too.

Can't speak for Transformers (it's not my bag) but the other two are absolutely splendid in 3D, favourites in my collection. Other favourites I have here at home:

• Tron Legacy
  • House of Wax (Vincent Price)
  • One More Time With Feeling (Nick Cave documentary)
  • Creature from the Black Lagoon
  • The Hobbit (all 3)
  • Titanic
  • It Came from Outer Space

I'd be crazy for 3D remasters of The Clone Wars and Rebels, but I'm sure that won't happen.

Rudiger

Rudiger

Quote from: PierreVW on Aug 14, 2017, 08:29:34 PM

I find it a huge disappointment in the cinema (Imax too), and will now always seek out the 2D showing. I keep 3D purely for home. Prometheus is great in 3D (kinda makes up for the film), as is Avatar, Gravity and Ghost in the Shell.

Marcus9000

Marcus9000

I'm glad he said he might go back and do Aliens in 3D!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Marcus9000 on Aug 15, 2017, 06:24:53 PM
I'm glad he said he might go back and do Aliens in 3D!

Yep. I'm definitely gonna 'vote with my dollar' and buy T2 3D, in the hopes that he will.

Hide

Hide

Alionic

Alionic

Cameron hasn't made a good film since Terminator II. It's been, what, 26 years now?

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Alionic on Aug 21, 2017, 03:36:54 AM
Cameron hasn't made a good film since Terminator II. It's been, what, 26 years now?

True Lies was probably one of the last great action films of that era.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: Alionic on Aug 21, 2017, 03:36:54 AM

True. Since 1991.

Hide

Hide

So, you guys think that Covenant is a better film than Titanic or Avatar?

Scorpio

Scorpio

I prefer Alien Covenant to Titanic and Avatar, not because I think they are better films per se, but because of Cameron's sensibilities.  He's more of a populist filmmaker, while Scott is closer to an artist.  More or less.

Hide

Hide

If directing very bad films that in some ways look good makes you an artist, that's ok.

SM

SM

Ooooh, an artist definition-off!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed