Cameron on Alien Covenant

Started by 0321recon, Aug 10, 2017, 09:55:22 PM

Author
Cameron on Alien Covenant (Read 59,775 times)

banana

banana

What is Cameron supposed to say about Covenant? That it was bad?
Risking trouble with a studio? Causing bad blood with a colleague? lol No way.

Reminds me of Giger calling Prometheus grauselich or something. You could also  translate this as bad, fyi ;D

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Doesn't mean that he actually thought it was terrible.

Gash

Gash

I wouldn't really care one way or another. I guess there's a thread somewhere with David Fincher's appraisal of True Lies.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

True. Still, not surprised he said what he said. Ridley's his hero.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: NickisSmart on Aug 12, 2017, 07:23:28 PM

James Cameron even admired THE COUNSELOR(Ridley Scott) after all the bad reviews.

I remembered Cameron said beautiful things about Zack Snyder and his Action Style. He doesn't care about critics, RT or MC.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

I think with Terminator 2 3D, Cameron must make a point clear:
You do not need to shoot in 3D to make 3D movies. It all depends on how much work you want to do to create the 3D atmosphere in each shot. Now you know why Ridley didn't make any other 3D films after Prometheus. It cost too much and he could have a team establish 3D in post production easily.
Thats why you dont here much about 3D anymore.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: acrediblesource on Aug 13, 2017, 03:14:56 PM
Now you know why Ridley didn't make any other 3D films after Prometheus.

The Martian and Exodus were shot in 3D.

And Scott wanted to shoot Covenant in 3D but one of the uppers at Fox told him 3D was dead. Fox later changed their minds at the eleventh hour but it was already too late by then according to Scott. Obviously Scott wasn't interested in post-conversion.

Alionic

Alionic

Isn't 3D pretty much dead, though? I know it's not near as popular as it was back in 2012.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

I have a theory after reading that "Fox reassesses future of ALIEN franchise after Alien Covenant Box Office fallout".

Could it be 20th Century Fox will do like a UNIVERSAL Jurassic Park 3D re-release before a re-booted Jurassic World?

That is the motivation for Cameron, to in effect drum up hype for a more action, futuristic based ALIEN movie?

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 13, 2017, 04:24:00 PM

And Scott wanted to shoot Covenant in 3D but one of the uppers at Fox told him 3D was dead. Fox later changed their minds at the eleventh hour but it was already too late by then according to Scott. Obviously Scott wasn't interested in post-conversion.

Thanks, I'd been wondering about the details.

God I wish Covenant had been shot in 3D. That bombing scene in particular would have been nuts. Prometheus is one of the best-looking 3DBDs I own, and it would have been nice to have Covenant standing tall beside it.

PierreVW

PierreVW

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Aug 13, 2017, 06:24:04 PM

I agree 100%.

In another note, The Desert looked beautiful in 3D in THE MARTIAN.

Thanks, I'd been wondering about the details.

God I wish Covenant had been shot in 3D. That bombing scene in particular would have been nuts. Prometheus is one of the best-looking 3DBDs I own, and it would have been nice to have Covenant standing tall beside it.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: NickisSmart on Aug 12, 2017, 07:23:28 PM

Ridleys a lot of people's hero. Two of his movies would proudly sit in my top 10 ( and probably everyone's top 10). Doesn't mean I have to love everything he does.

I think it's fair to say Covenant has flashes of brilliance, but they are surrounded by a bit of a mess. Both the prequels are crying out for that extra 20-30 minutes of balance. That wouldn't fix the movie, but it would help a lot.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

I agree. The films could be longer and I'd welcome it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I don't remember reading that one. Do you have a link?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ac/ac0617/index.php?email_cmp=JuneQRCode#/0

QuoteAnother difference between Covenant and Prometheus is that you didn't shoot in 3D this time.

Scott: I wanted to shoot Covenant in 3D, but somebody supposedly wiser than us up there decided that the days of 3D might be over, and therefore we didn't do that. Now, of course, it's finished and somebody mumbled, 'Can we do this in 3D?' I said, 'Well, it's a bit late, dude.'

Wolski: For me, it was great going back to old-school filmmaking and shooting Covenant in 2D. The first Alien was 2D. I do think that initially my experience with 3D was a big part of why Ridley was interested in me for Prometheus. That was a huge challenge, shooting 3D with those multiple cameras Ridley favors. At that time there was a big trend toward shooting everything in 3D, and I think it was largely because of economics — because Avatar had made so much money. Everybody thought the whole world was going to turn 3D, but I never believed in that.

Scott: I don't think 3D is going to go away. I love it, because we actually see in 3D. In your head, you've basically got two cameras side by side separated by the width of your nose. When you film and project 3D properly, it's not a barrier; it's taking you back to something you've been used to since birth. There's still a lot to be explored there. One thing that would have been nice to do on The Martian would have been to shoot all the interiors in 2D, then when he goes outside flip to 3D. But we can't do that yet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed