Was Paradise supposed to be the Engineers' homeworld?

Started by Local Trouble, Aug 09, 2017, 02:42:23 PM

Author
Was Paradise supposed to be the Engineers' homeworld? (Read 9,714 times)

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 10, 2017, 06:25:27 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say they lacked technology seeing as how they had a big docking station hovering right above their city.
I meant not a lot as opposed to nothing at all. Sorry, English ain't my first language.
I'll edit my previous post.

Highland

It's the homeworld. We've got that "maybe that's not the real Space Jockey" syndrome going on again because....it was rubbish.

That's not to say there might be some other world hidden somewhere.

Local Trouble

It's laughable.  They might not have city-planets, but they should have settlements throughout the galaxy that would allow their civilization to survive a single attack on one planet by some misanthropic android.

Jesus, this movie is dumb. I mean, by comparison, Alien Resurrection makes more sense.

Highland

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 11, 2017, 05:19:45 AM
It's laughable.  They might not have city-planets, but they should have settlements throughout the galaxy that would allow their civilization to survive a single attack on one planet by some misanthropic android.

Jesus, this movie is dumb. I mean, by comparison, Alien Resurrection makes more sense.

They did have a shield to stop things like this happening....which failed for some reason.

Corporal Hicks

There's also this notion of them being terraformers. The planet may have looked completely different at some point and the Engineer's purposefully rebuilt the planet as Paradise.

Predaker

They don't exist in a vacuum, though. Civilizations rise and fall. There are indications in both prequels that the engineers are one in decline.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Predaker on Aug 11, 2017, 01:59:44 PM

They don't exist in a vacuum, though. Civilizations rise and fall. There are indications in both prequels that the engineers are one in decline.

Indeed, civilisations rose and fell in our history and the same could be the case for the Engineers.

Space7Horror

Does anyone think it is possible that the planet is just another one seeded by the engineers? I mean the "engineers" on paradise look very different from the ones in Prometheus.  Perhaps it was a planet that the engineers favored so much that they actually visited the planet every now and then.  Maybe thats why everyone in the city gathered outside to meet their gods/creators, but were instead met with David's wrath.

Highland

The engineers look the same. They've just not got space suits on and the budget probably didn't allow for any detailed close ups.

Space7Horror

Even if they are the same why all run outside to a returning ship? They must have been expecting something or someone.

Highland

Quote from: Space7Horror on Aug 13, 2017, 12:16:30 AM
Even if they are the same why all run outside to a returning ship? They must have been expecting something or someone.

Maybe that's just what they do. They would have all died if they ran outside or not. I mean whats the alternative? That big bald white guys that wear cloaks and fly donut shaped space crafts are not the same big bald white guys that fly donut shaped space crafts in Prometheus? Sounds unlikely.

Prometheus - Maybe that's not the real space Jockey 
Covenant - Maybe that's not the real Engineers

Seems to a be a recurring nightmare. 

Space7Horror

Quote from: Highland on Aug 13, 2017, 12:52:20 AM

Maybe that's just what they do. They would have all died if they ran outside or not. I mean whats the alternative? That big bald white guys that wear cloaks and fly donut shaped space crafts are not the same big bald white guys that fly donut shaped space crafts in Prometheus? Sounds unlikely.

I'm fine with the engineers being the space jockey I was just a little confused by the actions on paradise.  I'm sure Scott intended them to be the same species I just wish we got to see more of them and that that looked more pearly skinned and god like. 

Highland

Quote from: Space7Horror on Aug 13, 2017, 01:02:44 AM

I'm fine with the engineers being the space jockey I was just a little confused by the actions on paradise.  I'm sure Scott intended them to be the same species I just wish we got to see more of them and that that looked more pearly skinned and god like. 

It does seem a bit strange that we don't get much time with them since they had a lot of potential, but I guess that's the story he decided to go with. I doubt we were ever supposed to find out what they were all about, just more vague questions.

The city feels particularly small inside also, feels like Davids lab, his flute playing room and the area the all hang out in is about the size of my house.

Space7Horror

Quote from: Highland on Aug 13, 2017, 01:17:32 AM
Quote from: Space7Horror on Aug 13, 2017, 01:02:44 AM

It does seem a bit strange that we don't get much time with them since they had a lot of potential, but I guess that's the story he decided to go with. I doubt we were ever supposed to find out what they were all about, just more vague questions.

The city feels particularly small inside also, feels like Davids lab, his flute playing room and the area the all hang out in is about the size of my house.

We definitely were not given a full tour of the city and its shame we only saw so little.  I guess what we did see was what was necessary for the story at hand but a little exploration would have a been a really cool thing and it would have added some more tension and eeriness to the film after the explosive neomorph attack.  Exploring the city and then gradually seeing David's lair and what he has been up to would have really added to the film and possibly given us more of the engineer stuff we wanted (and bridge Prometheus and Covenant a little better by connected what we saw in both films).
I still liked the film but some more scenes could have made it even better. 

SM

Probably been expecting a ship for a couple of thousand years.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed