Why Noomi Rapace was cast as the lead in Prometheus?

Started by PierreVW, Jul 29, 2017, 12:37:11 AM

Author
Why Noomi Rapace was cast as the lead in Prometheus? (Read 7,851 times)

SM

My only issue with Shaw was her accent of no fixed origin.

Scorpio

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 30, 2017, 09:42:59 PM
I don't think people had issues with Prometheus over bad casting. Portman and DiCaprio wouldn't have helped.

Sometimes the safe choice is the worst.

PierreVW

Quote from: SM on Jul 30, 2017, 11:02:58 PM

European accent.

SM

What's a European accent?  French? Dutch? Italian?  Bulgarian? Norwegian?

Corporal Hicks

I vaguely recall the rumours around Portman's role being around her playing a Colonial Marine general or something? I'll check out the archives when I get chance to have a gander. I'm curious now.

Personally, I quite liked Prometheus' cast. The characters were a different question, though.

Salt The Fries

She really did bother me first two, three times I saw the film, but the fourth time I saw it, it was right before Covenant in a special marathon...I actually kind of liked her more. But I'm not mourning her departure. I still think she will be reintroduced in the sequel one more time to explore that sick and twisted lover relationship with David.

whiterabbit

I have an awful reason as to why she was cast as the lead but I'm keeping it to myself. However I don't see why not. She was fine in the movie.

PierreVW

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jul 31, 2017, 04:54:08 PM
She really did bother me first two, three times I saw the film, but the fourth time I saw it, it was right before Covenant in a special marathon...I actually kind of liked her more. But I'm not mourning her departure. I still think she will be reintroduced in the sequel one more time to explore that sick and twisted lover relationship with David.

I hope you are right.

COVENANT 2 seems cancelled.

Gash

Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 01, 2017, 11:23:19 AM
I have an awful reason as to why she was cast as the lead but I'm keeping it to myself. However I don't see why not. She was fine in the movie.

Tease.

PierreVW

Quote from: Gash on Aug 02, 2017, 12:28:36 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Aug 01, 2017, 11:23:19 AM

Tease.

What awful reason?.

bleau

I noticed that too. I think she was trying to sound/imitate Scottish or English accent but failed miserably.

SM

There wasn't any Scottish in there, but it was just inconsistent.

PierreVW

Quote from: bleau on Aug 04, 2017, 07:42:49 AM

I noticed that too. I think she was trying to sound/imitate Scottish or English accent but failed miserably.

I agree: she tried to do English accent and failed.

Her Dad, in PROMETHEUS, was an English actor.

SM

Patrick Wilson is a Yank, born and bred.

Her mum is Giannina Facio (Riddles Costa Rican missus).

bb-15

Quote from: PierreVW on Aug 04, 2017, 11:38:54 PM
Quote from: bleau on Aug 04, 2017, 07:42:49 AM

I agree: she tried to do English accent and failed.

It's impossible for Noomi to fail at doing an English accent. She's not trying to be English. She is speaking English in a way that is common for a person with her background.
Noomi is Swedish (living in Sweden and Iceland). I've been to Sweden and several people there spoke English to me with an English accept.
My Swedish girlfriend at the time told me that this accent was common with English language speakers in Sweden.

* I realize that the personal taste of many viewers results in a dislike of different kinds of accents.
- But the way i approach film often has this basis; if something exists in our world, then it can be put in a movie.

;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed