Why Noomi Rapace was cast as the lead in Prometheus?

Started by PierreVW, Jul 29, 2017, 12:37:11 AM

Author
Why Noomi Rapace was cast as the lead in Prometheus? (Read 7,854 times)

PierreVW

I remembered Oscar Winner Natalie Portman was the first choice of FOX or/and Ridley Scott.

Gash

Gemma Arterton was also under consideration, I'd certainly have preferred her over Portman. I think Noomi sold me on the blinkered blind faith angle though, so no complaints on the actual eventual casting.

Paranoid Android

I was perfectly fine with Noomi Rapace in Prometheus as well. Neither her, nor her character was one of my issues with the film.

PierreVW

Noomi Rapace was very good. She just wasn't or isn't famous.

At the beginning, FOX and Ridley Scott wanted a more famous cast:

1.- Natalie Portman was the first choice. Rapace was the second choice.

2.- Leonardo DiCaprio was the first choice for David. Michael Fassbender was their second choice.

Paranoid Android

I'd say they made the correct casting choice with Rapace and Fassbender then. Fassbender is a better actor than DiCaprio, and Natalie Portman doesn't look 'gritty' enough for the Alien universe.

PierreVW

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 29, 2017, 06:21:35 PM
I'd say they made the correct casting choice with Rapace and Fassbender then. Fassbender is a better actor than DiCaprio, and Natalie Portman doesn't look 'gritty' enough for the Alien universe.

I don't know about Fassbender versus DiCaprio. Both of them are great. They are in the same highest level.

Natalie Portman is Winona Ryder 2. And Ryder was in an ALIEN movie.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: PierreVW on Jul 29, 2017, 06:27:11 PM
I don't know about Fassbender versus DiCaprio. Both of them are great. They are in the same highest level.
DiCaprio is a good actor, but Fassbender has more range. He's able to convey a lot to the audience through very slight changes to his facial expressions, which is not something DiCaprio ever really did.

Quote from: PierreVW on Jul 29, 2017, 06:27:11 PM
Natalie Portman is Winona Ryder 2. And Ryder was in an ALIEN movie.
I wouldn't be that harsh with Natalie Portman, but as far as I'm concerned this just proves my point.

Gash

I prefer good actors over famous actors. The two things are not mutually exclusive - but star names do not sell an Alien film for me.

More interested in the director, and that's what brought me back to Alien - the prequels..

Protozoid

Protozoid

It's hard to imagine Prometheus without Rapace. Her performance was acclaimed and with good reason. She had an inner strength and physical ability far beyond what Portman has. Portman is a fine actress, but she is more vulnerable and less physical. On the other hand, if Portman had played the part, Covenant would never have existed. Instead, we would have had Prometheus 2, it would have come out years earlier, had a bigger budget, and would have been massively better than Covenant, imo. But I'm still glad Rapace played Shaw. She was the right choice for the role.

Elmazalman

I thought she was perfect in the role and wish she was in COVENANT.

Mr. Xenomorph

Mr. Xenomorph

They probably thought she would be a big draw in other territories like Europe. It wasn't that long after she really got noticed in the Millennium Trilogy and Fincher was doing the remake of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, so the original was getting noticed more. Plus she was in Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows right around the time too.

Lonely Universe

I love Noomi in Prometheus, she's incredible. Very unique just like Sigourney, but not a rip of her character at all.

PierreVW

Quote from: Protozoid on Jul 30, 2017, 03:44:16 AM
It's hard to imagine Prometheus without Rapace. Her performance was acclaimed and with good reason. She had an inner strength and physical ability far beyond what Portman has. Portman is a fine actress, but she is more vulnerable and less physical. On the other hand, if Portman had played the part, Covenant would never have existed. Instead, we would have had Prometheus 2, it would have come out years earlier, had a bigger budget, and would have been massively better than Covenant, imo. But I'm still glad Rapace played Shaw. She was the right choice for the role.

With Portman and DiCaprio, Prometheus would have been a bigger hit at the worldwide box office.

Don't get me wrong: I love Prometheus with Fassbender and Rapace. But Ridley Scott could/has the power to work with more famous actors and actresses.

His biggest hit ever at the box office was THE MARTIAN(3D) with a very famous Matt Damon.

Paranoid Android

I don't think people had issues with Prometheus over bad casting. Portman and DiCaprio wouldn't have helped.

Gash

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 30, 2017, 09:42:59 PM
I don't think people had issues with Prometheus over bad casting. Portman and DiCaprio wouldn't have helped.

I didn't have issues with Prometheus at all.

But I'm glad Covenant didn't take the predicted route of Shaw meeting the Engineers.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed