Bring back the sense of mystery and expanding the predator universe...

Started by BigDaddyJohn, Jul 19, 2017, 01:46:54 PM

Author
Bring back the sense of mystery and expanding the predator universe... (Read 1,937 times)

BigDaddyJohn

I was having a re-reading of an interview of Shane Black where he said he wanted to bring back the same sense of mystery the first movie had in The Predator, while expanding the universe at the same time (Fred Dekker said basically the same).

That bothered me since then... Isn't a contradictory thing, wanting to bring mystery BACK (therefore knowing that it's gone), but explaining and showing more stuff about predator culture, habits and behavior ? Don't get me wrong, i'm all for expanding the universe, but it seems so complicated to bring back that sense of mystery at the same time... I don't know what to think, a lot of stuff makes me excited for this movie, but things like this makes me cautious too...

Master Chief

I think Predator 2 did a good job of giving us a bit more of what the Predators are about, but still left us with more questions about them.

black

black

With the story that they want to tell us, it turns out that predators literally take off their panties and put on pants so it's hard to talk about mysticism.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: black on Jul 19, 2017, 11:08:10 PM
With the story that they want to tell us, it turns out that predators literally take off their panties and put on pants so it's hard to talk about mysticism.

I was thinking of that among other stuff yes

bobcunk

Its hard to have mystery now, everything has been shown. I liked Predators, it was nothing new but I found the characters, plot and choice of actors very entertaining.

lv_226

I don't think that expanding the Predator universe was ever the intent of this series. The Predator was written somewhat one-dimensional but different enough (honor code, hunts in warm climates) to set it apart from other monsters. The Predator expanded universe is one thing, and it takes many liberties with the source material, and the movies are another. Well, here we are with a new Predator film on the horizon and another stab is taken at making these monsters interesting again. I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be something new and not more of the same.

BigDaddyJohn

Expanding the universe is the intent of the new movie, and i'm ok with that. I'm excited because i like Shane Black's work, and some stuff that i read is really cool. But it's a difficult task to bring back the sense of mystery while you expand the universe...

lv_226

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 05, 2017, 07:51:49 PM
Expanding the universe is the intent of the new movie, and i'm ok with that. I'm excited because i like Shane Black's work, and some stuff that i read is really cool. But it's a difficult task to bring back the sense of mystery while you expand the universe...
It's not impossible—see Prometheus—but it may not bet what "some" fans are expecting (which I am cool with as long as the execution is well done). I am not sure what to expect. Speaking of Prometheus, the hype surrounding that film was insane. The trailer for that film did not help with sobering expectations (it promised so much in the way the trailer framed the film that if we didn't get some intense, cosmic horror, Alien-esque film it wasn't to be expected from the marketing campaign). I hope that The Predator has a good script behind it that it will allow the film to be its own thing so that the marketing people are not trying to sell as something it isn't capable of being.

BigDaddyJohn

Haha trust me the script is definitely something else !

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed