Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 145,916 times)

SM

SM

Only 27?

SiL

SiL

He missed a zero in there I feel.

Highland

Highland

Depends if Nick posts cause we gota reference documents and stuff.

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

::)

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: SM on Aug 04, 2017, 08:55:28 PM
And sadly predictable.

Some people are incapable or liking or not liking it, without slagging off the opposing view.

Or making Ridley Scott some scapegoat for instance. I suppose Im slogging off but Im just annoyed with the whole things over-all. I have many issues with the film and some of them are things that I believe remain defensible anyway. For instance, I greatly dislike that David is made to seem the Creator of the Xeno in the film, and there isn't a concrete statement made (until now with the ADVENT viral) regarding whether it existed prior. But I also love the idea of his android resentment of humanity's ability to mate/pro-create and this vague sexual-frustration having been the source of creating the biomechanical freudiannightmare that is the alien. It absolutely fits with the themes whether its what I wanted not. Recognizing that just because something happens that you wish didn't doesnt make the film BAD, is positive even when your criticising it. And that's just the thing. Liking and disliking is one thing, getting carried away, which is what happened to al ot of this fan base, after this film was released is entirely another. There is little objectivity. It's either an abortion that ruined the franchise forever and Ridley Scott needs to kill himself and never touch the series he created ever again, or people thought it was great and cant wait to see more. It's quite silly, isn't it? Meanwhile, it's basically a mid-range Alien film. Nowhere near the worst, and not on par with the best.

Quote from: Gash on Aug 04, 2017, 10:19:36 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 04, 2017, 11:35:57 AM

Since you seem to like using sexual metaphor stuff regarding the facehugger, the reason why it wouldn't just implant immediately upon forcing its ovipositor into someone's throat would then be same as why men don't immediately ejaculate when only just engaging in intercourse.  :P

Well, if you can't see the obvious - that the facehugger is a sexual metaphor in itself - there's not much point in starting alien education 101 on you is there?

And, jeez, the reason (most) men don't ejaculate when only just engaging in intercourse is because it's a pleasurable act that is going to be more pleasurable if it's not over and done with in ten seconds. But that's not true in the animal kingdom where procreation is the aim and sex does only last seconds. It is therefore perfectly in keeping with nature and no stretch to believe at all.

But of course, whilst Dallas was listening to Mozart in the shuttle Ash was playing Barry White in the infirmary.

Honestly. There are plenty of reasons its not that strange in this film. First. We are not seeing the final version of the xeno. We know that, so it could change. Second, the Facehugger was immediately under attack, and you could argue that it's seed was released for that reason. Lastly, all the hate over how quickly it's birthed is kind of unfounded. It takes about an hour for them to get on the ship and then, they go to sleep, wake up, make breakfast etc etc.

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

I don't understand what's unclear about David being the creator.

The only evidence against it that I keep seeing people reference is the mural from Prometheus which doesn't even look like a xeno anyway.

SM

SM

It's not about making Riddles a scapegoat - he is the guy in the chair and it's ultimately his responsibility.  If someone hates the film; they're going to blame him which is pretty fair.  More often they'll blame this amorphous thing named 'Fox'.

QuoteLastly, all the hate over how quickly it's birthed is kind of unfounded. It takes about an hour for them to get on the ship and then, they go to sleep, wake up, make breakfast etc etc.

The not really the issue though.

Highland

Highland

We don't know that it's not the final version of the xeno, we are just assuming that because it looks different, but they always look different.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: SM on Aug 05, 2017, 04:39:51 AM
It's not about making Riddles a scapegoat - he is the guy in the chair and it's ultimately his responsibility.  If someone hates the film; they're going to blame him which is pretty fair.  More often they'll blame this amorphous thing named 'Fox'.

QuoteLastly, all the hate over how quickly it's birthed is kind of unfounded. It takes about an hour for them to get on the ship and then, they go to sleep, wake up, make breakfast etc etc.

The not really the issue though.

Yes, It's perfectly reasonable to blame Ridley if the film isn't satisfying to you. So long as you're not saying he's senile or lost it and crap like that then I think it's valid to question the decisions he's made.

Either the films you're cuppa tea or it's not, it's that simple really.

Quote from: Highland on Aug 05, 2017, 05:29:39 AM
We don't know that it's not the final version of the xeno, we are just assuming that because it looks different, but they always look different.

No, we don't know it isn't but I think it's fairly likely. It's not just the different look, I thought Davids reaction to seeing his pets defeated was an indication and it also follows the themes that he would want to perfect it.

I think I'll be disappointed if it doesn't go that way. If it ever happens of course.

Highland

Highland

It's not like the xenos in Covenant ( or the huggers) are massively different though. You can do hand wavey things with the plot but as far as improvements go I'm not sure how you express that on film other than David saying "my perfect creature" ... at which point we see the same life cycle and the same Alien ( probably getting blown out an airlock).

I guess the only thing I can think of is a queen to finish/start the life cycle.

SM

SM

QuoteYes, It's perfectly reasonable to blame Ridley if the film isn't satisfying to you. So long as you're not saying he's senile or lost it and crap like that then I think it's valid to question the decisions he's made.

Either the films you're cuppa tea or it's not, it's that simple really.

Quite.

System Apollo

System Apollo

It was a decent overall film but in the end its formula depended on really broken premises and poorly written characters that were not very convincing in their roles. They aren't going to stop the sequels but they won't let Ridley do more than one, hopefully he closes his arc sensibly. The belly-aching has gotten so bad since Prometheus. These weren't bad films and they'll hold weight unlike the previous installments in this beloved franchise. As for the Facehugger incubating for a short period of time and it being relative to science; there is no way you can cut it, Alien is just not concerned with actual biology. I like to believe it attached itself later or the Alien caught up with the character later on.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Gash on Aug 04, 2017, 10:19:36 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 04, 2017, 11:35:57 AM

Since you seem to like using sexual metaphor stuff regarding the facehugger, the reason why it wouldn't just implant immediately upon forcing its ovipositor into someone's throat would then be same as why men don't immediately ejaculate when only just engaging in intercourse.  :P

Well, if you can't see the obvious - that the facehugger is a sexual metaphor in itself - there's not much point in starting alien education 101 on you is there?

Perfectly aware of that as it was giger's style so don't be rude. I commented because you almost use it as if its a fact rather a metaphor that the hugger is sexually reproducing, which its not. Parasitism is not sexual, there is no "tantric sex" etc even if you were just joking, its simply just evoking all that stuff in our minds. There is plenty of metaphors to be found in the Alien franchise, well back then anyway, the newer movies obviously lacked giger's touch.

Quote from: CainsSon on Aug 05, 2017, 04:33:09 AM
Honestly. There are plenty of reasons its not that strange in this film. First. We are not seeing the final version of the xeno. We know that, so it could change. Second, the Facehugger was immediately under attack, and you could argue that it's seed was released for that reason. Lastly, all the hate over how quickly it's birthed is kind of unfounded. It takes about an hour for them to get on the ship and then, they go to sleep, wake up, make breakfast etc etc.

Marachuk. Marachuk. Marachuk. Also other victim, other victim, other victim.  :P
To clarify, both of these hosts had their facehugger under attack, yet both of them didn't implant anything.

Around 8 hours or so actually if the comments about mother being down for that amount is anything to go by. Meaning it kind of contradicts what is already in the movie with Oram, who's incubation was probably only minutes.

I agree that those that dislike or like a film should not attack those of a different opinion, after all we are all entitled to our different views. The only time I would probably question (civily of course) another's negative opinion on a film, is if their reasons for doing so can actually be found in a film that they consider their favorite, making their reasons hypocritical.

Kane's other son

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 05, 2017, 12:23:41 PM

Marachuk. Marachuk. Marachuk. Also other victim, other victim, other victim.  :P
To clarify, both of these hosts had their facehugger under attack, yet both of them didn't implant anything.

Lope's facehugger could have stayed on his face for hours. It didn't fall off on its own. They pried it off.
We don't know how long it takes to implant the alien. We just know how long the hugger stays attached on a face on its own.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Kane's other son on Aug 05, 2017, 12:37:58 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 05, 2017, 12:23:41 PM

Lope's facehugger could have stayed on his face for hours. It didn't fall off on its own. They pried it off.
We don't know how long it takes to implant the alien. We just know how long the hugger stays attached on a face on its own.
[/b]

As I just said, Marachuk and another victim had their facehugger forcibly removed as well, yet both of the parasites did not implant anything. Bishop:"surgically removed before implantation"

Around 24 hours according to some sources, implantation does take place hours before then but the Hugger itself can remain attached for more than a day likely to ensure the implant developes unimpeded. While the exact time is inconsistent, its mostly hours, only the AVP films, Covenant and a few other formats have had it at minutes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed