Elements you wish there were more of

Started by Salt The Fries, Jul 15, 2017, 08:17:43 AM

Author
Elements you wish there were more of (Read 5,364 times)

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Highland on Jul 15, 2017, 01:30:08 PM
We've went over this in another thread.
Do you people have earwax, or what?  We have been here three   hours. How many different ways do you want me to tell the same story?

On topic: I would love if the motif of descent into hell was explored even more, especially in the Citadel around the time Oram went to check up on Rosenthal.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Can't we just agree it's a continuity goof caused by artistic license?

tleilaxu

I wish there was more info about the Engineers. It seems like they want to withhold that for the third film, but it's a bit cruel to tease us with "I learned of their ways" and then keep those ways largely hidden from us.
Would've also liked more info and visuals pertaining to the biological experiments David performed.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jul 15, 2017, 01:34:46 PM
Quote from: Highland on Jul 15, 2017, 01:30:08 PM
We've went over this in another thread.
Do you people have earwax, or what?  We have been here three   hours. How many different ways do you want me to tell the same story?

On topic: I would love if the motif of descent into hell was explored even more, especially in the Citadel around the time Oram went to check up on Rosenthal.

Yeah, they should have made more of the hell idea, it could have got far creepier and bizarre than it did. I'd have liked to see Daniels and lope exploring a little while Oram was gone.

OpenMaw

More quality writing would be good.

Suspense and character seem to be a lost art, and I hate to say t his but Ridley Scott has lost the goddamn plot. I was content to blame the stupidity of Prometheus on Lidelof and editing, but Covenant only serves to reinforce that Scott has no clue... And the things he's been saying about the new Blade Runner only make that more evident.

I was so bummed out by Covenant. I think that crash was harder than when I went to see Prometheus.

It's beautiful to look at, both of these films... But they ain't got a brain in their skulls and personally I've always been a fan of Velma kinda guy.

So to try and be fair after that mini-rant. I wish the film had more character development, more cohesion of tone, and made the focus David and his experiments, and kept the true-blue alien out of it. The exploration of the neomorphs/David held so much potential. I almost got a twinge of Aliens Labyrinth.

David's direction connection to the original Alien's creation just... Bothers me. It's even worse than the changes made to the Jockeys. Completely sheared off the mystery of the beast. It's a lab experiment. We're done. Mystery solved. Nothing, and I do mean nothing the next film brings to the table can fix this damage. The alien, really isn't an alien anymore, now. Ironically it's almost circled back to those drafts of Alien that had it as little more than a man-made experiment gone awry.

I mean, i'm not dilluded enough to believe we would have ever gotten that Twilight Zone/Lovecraftian ending to this series where someone gazes upon the truth and it drives them to dizzying insane laughter, or seeing David hoisted from his own patard for being so arrogant. (Seeing him become Prometheus, in a way.) I don't know. It bums me out because the potential here was so damn high.

Having the landing party proceed with more caution would have been nice, too. Wearing hazmat/space suits, and having the spores compromise the suit anyway. Just give the characters more intelligence. Look at a movie like The Thing, where the characters act pretty much as smart as they possibly can, given the stresses they are under, and still things go horrifically wrong. It's better horror when the characters do the best they can, and bad things still happen. The humans in the movie basically get what they deserve.

PsyKore

Quote from: Ingwar on Jul 15, 2017, 12:21:51 PM
Xenomorph in the third act is pure fan service.

Yes and no. I think a large part of the third act is David observing his creation in the wild. The way it was presented was like a scientist watching how a rat performs in a maze. I speculate in the next film he'll want to create ways of giving the creature higher intelligence, however.

Highland

QuoteLook at a movie like The Thing

I like you already

QuoteAnd the things he's been saying about the new Blade Runner only make that more evident

Whats he been saying about Blade Runner?

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Highland on Jul 16, 2017, 12:08:21 AM

I like you already

QuoteAnd the things he's been saying about the new Blade Runner only make that more evident

To be fair The Thing used Invasion of the Body Snatchers as a template, and this kind of a story is a superior vehicle for tension anyway. But I agree that the sequel to Covenant should focus on making every single character really NOT DUMB.

Highland

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jul 16, 2017, 03:43:25 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jul 16, 2017, 12:08:21 AM

I like you already

To be fair The Thing used Invasion of the Body Snatchers as a template, and this kind of a story is a superior vehicle for tension anyway. But I agree that the sequel to Covenant should focus on making every single character really NOT DUMB.

There's a segment in the new podcast that goes over a section of one of the early scripts where David looks into the egg first to show Oram and nothing happens (because he's a machine), then Oram looks in ( I think they might have even said they filmed that). Perfect right?

Simple things like that make the movie not so brainless and you wonder why that's not in there. We shouldn't have to go looking in books and other drafts of the movie to see explanations, they should be in the movie.

PsyKore

Christ. He looked in the egg because he wanted to. Maybe his best instincts tell him not to, but people will still look inside most of the time, because that's how people are.

If that segment with David looking in the egg first was put in the film, people would still complain that Oram was dumb for following him.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: PsyKore on Jul 16, 2017, 07:24:21 AM
Christ. He looked in the egg because he wanted to. Maybe his best instincts tell him not to, but people will still look inside most of the time, because that's how people are.

If that segment with David looking in the egg first was put in the film, people would still complain that Oram was dumb for following him.
People have this weird dissonance in them that they really want all human characters to survive and go apeshit if something goes wrong because they know they'd have avoided that. Applies to almost every movie. Sometimes it's better to let go, though.

Highland

Highland

I can't even debate with you guys. You're completely blind. I put forward a decent explanation that was scripted, that makes the movie make more sense and you're like " he looked cuz he wanted ta see what waz in there! Was my favourite bit!"

Unreal. Salt the Fries please stop generalising "people" everytime someone makes a point it makes you sound like a twat.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Highland on Jul 16, 2017, 08:59:06 AM
I can't even debate with you guys. You're completely blind. I put forward a decent explanation that was scripted, that makes the movie make more sense and you're like " he looked cuz he wanted ta see what waz in there! Was my favourite bit!"

Unreal. Salt the Fries please stop generalising "people" everytime someone makes a point it makes you sound like a twat.
I didn't even have you in mind in the slightest. I'm fine with you disliking the film. You have every right to, just as much as I have to like it. And it wasn't even aimed at Alien fandom. Chill. I hate people complaining at someone in third person as much as you do. But I wasn't doing this and I'm sorry if it sounded like it was.

PsyKore

Quote from: Highland on Jul 16, 2017, 08:59:06 AM

Wow.

Ingwar

Quote from: PsyKore on Jul 15, 2017, 10:59:55 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Jul 15, 2017, 12:21:51 PM
Xenomorph in the third act is pure fan service.

Yes and no. I think a large part of the third act is David observing his creation in the wild. The way it was presented was like a scientist watching how a rat performs in a maze. I speculate in the next film he'll want to create ways of giving the creature higher intelligence, however.

I can agree with that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed