Ridley Scott Alludes to Ripley's Mother in Alien: Covenant Sequel

Started by RidgeTop, Jul 08, 2017, 10:12:18 AM

Author
Ridley Scott Alludes to Ripley's Mother in Alien: Covenant Sequel (Read 38,892 times)

SM

But then she aged 6 years - IN 10 DAYS!!! :o

SiL

Dude, clearly a result of how violently she got pulled out of hypersleep.

SM

Dude, nah, the hugger done it.

SiL

The chestbursters don't develop quickly, they speed up time locally :o

tleilaxu

Quote from: SiL on Jul 11, 2017, 12:44:06 PM
Maybe xenomorphs are just so incredibly advanced organisms that they can induce relativistic effects :o

Huggs

I'd have to assume there would be some form of aging during cryo. The prospect of cryo-sleep is implausible, solely due to the fact that freezing the body would result in the bursting of cells, as cells are mostly water I believe, I'm too tired to rehash those courses. Nevertheless, discounting the science, I've still yet to see a cryo-pod in modern film that didn't display biofunctions, or at least intimate the occupant's heart had not flat-lined. Given that, a steady, albeit reduced heart rate should still result in the aging and tissue degeneration of the organ itself, I don't see how anyone could come out of cryo-sleep without either severe cardiovascular issues, or a bad case of the "death".

"Prometheus made a point to say "They made us, but who made them?" -- A Lovecraftian answer to that question is the way forward for this series"

Indeed, and if things keep going the way they're headed, the answer will be...ya'll ready? The Quintessons.
There was some kind of event involving a black hole, optimus prime was found floating in space by an early Wey-Yu space mission in the 80's. The body was transferred to Wey Yu's newly acquired and budding robotics division, formerly known as Cyberdine Industries. Wey-Yu, still seeking to capture a live "Predator" specimen, has cyberdine create the terminator, a powerful and advanced new form of robotic intelligence that is immune to the predators thermal tracking abilities, and also has the ability to learn and evolve intellectually. In a nod to history, and after one too many vodkas, the team decides to model the terminator after Dutch Schaeffer, the man who originally defeated the predator, and whom Wey-Yu had liquidated shortly after his debriefing. In a moment of humor, some intern coined the name "Sergeant Candy", and rumors of a tongue - in - cheek commercial circulated the office for awhile. A Wey-Yu exec managed to get ahold of a copy, the intern was..."let go".

At some point in the 1990's, Wey-Yu received credible intelligence that a Predator was active in the Los Angeles area. A team of Wey-Yu scientists and undercover security personnel, led by Peter Keyes was deployed to track and assess the creature, in preparation for the deployment of the first terminator. The terminator follows the Predator into a busy subway station. While waiting for the creature to strike, the terminator witnesses nothing but violence and hostility between the human passengers on the train, and, believing that humanity isn't worth saving, escapes during the ensuing chaos.

At least, that's where I think it's going. ;D

tleilaxu

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 11, 2017, 07:23:51 PM
I'd have to assume there would be some form of aging during cryo. The prospect of cryo-sleep is implausible, solely due to the fact that freezing the body would result in the bursting of cells, as cells are mostly water I believe, I'm too tired to rehash those courses. Nevertheless, discounting the science, I've still yet to see a cryo-pod in modern film that didn't display biofunctions, or at least intimate the occupant's heart had not flat-lined. Given that, a steady, albeit reduced heart rate should still result in the aging and tissue degeneration of the organ itself, I don't see how anyone could come out of cryo-sleep without either severe cardiovascular issues, or a bad case of the "death".
Actually, cells are routinely frozen for storage during biological work. Freezing a whole organism is a bit trickier, but you don't necessarily have to freeze, just keep it in a low metabolic state at a low temperature. I don't understand your last comment. People in the Alien-verse aren't traveling for centuries.

SM

Quote from: SiL on Jul 11, 2017, 12:44:06 PM

Yah cos they don't need to eat and are born super-dense, creating their own local gravity space time distortions!

Huggs

"I don't understand your last comment"

Perhaps I was too vague. Extra shifts will do that to you. In essence, let's say that Ripley's character was around 30 years old as of the first film. Let's assume she's done her job at least a few times. How many years could she have spent in the freezers as of the first film? Ignoring that, if we're assuming that cryo-sleep in the alien universe is not a complete suspension of all biological functions, then her heart would have been beating for in excess of 87 years. Adding on another possible 10 for cryo during employment, if it had been long term employment, and you're booking a 100 year old pump (or more). Even if it severely slowed down age and atrophy, you'd still be dealing with the heart of a 56-70 year old.  There has to be some negative physiological effects.

But when it's all said and done, these are movies, and it's all fake. I get that. In the recent film "Passengers", the journey was to take 120 years. Movies and books stating these sort of things last for centuries is not uncommon. I suppose you could say it's just a pet peeve of mine. The original Alien is such an enjoyable movie that I usually just forget that stuff and enjoy it. But the concept of stasis is prevalent in modern film, and it's just a tough sell for people like me, that's all.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 11, 2017, 11:19:37 PM
and you're booking a 100 year old pump (or more). Even if it severely slowed down age and atrophy, you'd still be dealing with the heart of a 56-70 year old.  There has to be some negative physiological effects.
This is where the movies clearly disagree with you. The purpose of cryo-sleep is to slow down metabolism such as to produce negligible aging during journeys. Obviously, like most things in science-fiction, the science isn't quite there yet. For me, the most worrisome part is dealing with oxidative damage on the long term. A low metabolism also means a lower renewal and potentially increased accumulation of damaged components.

CainsSon

Why dont they offer Josh Whedon the opportunity to fix his mess - as the director this time?

I dont really like his approach but Im surprised after his success and vocal apology for what happened with A:R that they've never approached him about it.

SiL

Because Joss Whedon only makes one kind of film and it's exactly what we'd get again if he got another chance.

SM

Quote from: CainsSon on Jul 12, 2017, 02:38:06 AM
Why dont they offer Josh Whedon the opportunity to fix his mess - as the director this time?

I dont really like his approach but Im surprised after his success and vocal apology for what happened with A:R that they've never approached him about it.

He blamed everyone but himself for the film's shortcomings.  Why would they approach him?

Corporal Hicks

He's apparently recently spoken about it and took ownership of it. I've not seen the interview yet. Matt Hatton mentioned it in our last podcast.

Huggs

"This is where the movies clearly disagree with you"

Reminds me of that old line form "diamonds are forever", where blofeld says something to the effect of, "I don't pretend to understand how it works, but the technology is sound". That is not meant to be misconstrued as an insult, I'm merely implying that the idea of stasis in film is a hard sell for me, so, like many scientific processes in film, it's mechanisms are best left to the imagination.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed