Ridley Scott Alludes to Ripley's Mother in Alien: Covenant Sequel

Started by RidgeTop, Jul 08, 2017, 10:12:18 AM

Author
Ridley Scott Alludes to Ripley's Mother in Alien: Covenant Sequel (Read 39,425 times)

Marcus9000

I really agree with all the posters who don't like to see the narrowing of the Alien universe.

Someone earlier put it best... Alien works because it makes us think about a massive cold universe where there is true horror awaiting humanity.

Let's get back to that.

I liked Prometheus, I know it had flaws but it was different enough to stand on its own merits.

Covenant seemed like a mishmash of all the movies and it really wasn't its own thing.

The return of the Engineers and answers to the questions posed in Prometheus is the direction I want it to go and it would be great if we learn that David did recreate the Xeno (which I suppose he did) but I think it's odds on that the Alien of the original movie is crossbreed with an android... Giving us biomechanical qualities it has. Yet there is no need as the Engineers have similar biomechanical characteristics.

Anyway, who knows what will happen. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

newagescamartist

Quote from: PierreVW on Jul 08, 2017, 11:24:04 PM
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/franchise-filmmaker-television-star-wars-hans-solo-lord-miller-1201845338/

Now, Movies are 1 episode of a TV series. Marvel created this new trend.

Star Wars is following that. DC too. Almost everyone is copying this. Movies are made by Commitee. Directors DOESN'T have power.

Ridley Scott is 1 of the very few directors who still have some freedom and some power. This kind of A-List Directors are dying.

The Han Solo movie reeks of fail on so many different levels. It'd take a master like Ron Howard to right that ship. It seems Disney and Lucasfilm have already started damage control narratives to try and paint the original directors as the reason for failure. The movie was 3 weeks away from wrapping, and now they're hiring acting coaches, new director, etc. Sounds like an absolute train wreck. The funny thing is that I haven't heard a single person say they actually wanted a Han Solo movie sans Harrison Ford. I think fans would be more interested in a Boba Fett or IG88 film to be completely honest. Even with Ron Howard I fear that this movie could still turn out to be a complete disaster.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

RidgeTop deliverin that sick burn with this news

I want this to happen so bad

SM

Seems to be an awful lot of predictably hyperbolic wailing and gnashing of teeth for "I think you're probably two films out from even considering her".

tleilaxu

I wouldn't mind seeing the Han Solo movie flop spectacularly, but I think it's going to probably break even or at least come close due to the rabid Star Wars die-hard hordes.

PierreVW

Quote from: tleilaxu on Jul 09, 2017, 01:02:34 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the Han Solo movie flop spectacularly, but I think it's going to probably break even or at least come close due to the rabid Star Wars die-hard hordes.

It's a really weird situation. Ron Howard is going to re-direct EVERYTHING. It's a different situation than the other past cases.

I suppose Ron Howard is going to be getting the sole Director official credit. Because they want to erase everything from the successful duo Lord & Miller.

tleilaxu

Yeah a situation like that is going to make everybody wary. With a few tactical memes on social media you could probably destroy the hype for the movie way before it comes out.

fiveways

Quote from: Protozoid on Jul 08, 2017, 06:07:10 PM
Scott is putting extra forks in it because some people loudly argued that the beast wasn't cooked. It's like he's trying to motivate us and knows that Fox listens to the haters, not the lovers? He wants the haters to want what he wants? The prequelitis will continue until morale improves? I wish more people had been kind to Prometheus, a movie that avoided most of these problems completely.

People were kind to it.  He just listened to the gore hounds instead of the general audience that liked Prometheus (which is why it actually made money).

A successful sequel was right there and he brought back a creature that very few people actually wanted to see again. 

Highland

Quote from: SM on Jul 09, 2017, 12:22:00 AM
Seems to be an awful lot of predictably hyperbolic wailing and gnashing of teeth for "I think you're probably two films out from even considering her".

I think it's more the fact that he's entertained that thought that's more disturbing.

SM

He entertains lots of thoughts.  It's his job.

Highland

Quote from: SM on Jul 09, 2017, 02:27:31 AM
He entertains lots of thoughts.  It's his job.

I can't even think of a response to be honest.

Hyperdyne120-a2

At face value it's an unnecessary device. It all depends on how it services the plot...IF it services the plot. It could be a master stroke or a total shoehorn. I'm scared...

monkeylove

Quote from: CainsSon on Jul 08, 2017, 09:46:14 PM

You guys, the film DID NOT FLOP. It made 240 million dollars. That's nearly double their money. But what was SPENT doesn't matter. The COST/GROSS figure just means they will try and spend LESS next time. Most horror films dont make nearly as much as ALIEN COVENANT. Take THE CONJURING, which made 127million. It has 4-5 sequels in the works.

There will certainly be MORE Alien films.

This movie did not flop, it made exceptional $. They will just make the next film for less money.

And/or they will try to find some other angle to renew interest - like bringing in Ripley's mom because waaaaaah.

You have to go to the other thread (about A:C box office) to know more about that. That is, double the cost to include marketing and assume that up to half of revenues goes to theater owners, etc. Include around a 10-pct profit market for the studio plus similar for investors, and that means the movie has to make more than three times the cost of producing it. Hopefully more if it's a tent-pole flick that's supposed to cover any losses from other films or if there are more promising franchises.

Protozoid

Quote from: fiveways on Jul 09, 2017, 02:01:16 AM
Quote from: Protozoid on Jul 08, 2017, 06:07:10 PM
Scott is putting extra forks in it because some people loudly argued that the beast wasn't cooked. It's like he's trying to motivate us and knows that Fox listens to the haters, not the lovers? He wants the haters to want what he wants? The prequelitis will continue until morale improves? I wish more people had been kind to Prometheus, a movie that avoided most of these problems completely.

People were kind to it.  He just listened to the gore hounds instead of the general audience that liked Prometheus (which is why it actually made money).

A successful sequel was right there and he brought back a creature that very few people actually wanted to see again.
I agree. In all honesty, I think not making Prometheus 2 is one of the greatest missed opportunities in the history of the genre.

newagescamartist

The way Ridley is talking it makes me think he thinks that the sequels are still a go regardless of what happened to Covenant's box office. Or maybe he's just trolling the fanbase. I bet the percentage of fans that want Ripley's mother shoehorned into this franchise is extremely small. I for one think it's a horrible idea like most of the folks at AVPGalaxy.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed