Which director from the Alien series is the best overall as a filmmaker?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jun 23, 2017, 06:15:44 PM

Which director from the Alien series is the best overall as a filmmaker?

Ridley Scott
James Cameron
David Fincher
Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Author
Which director from the Alien series is the best overall as a filmmaker? (Read 5,774 times)

SM

'ken oath is was shit.

I've really tried watching the RE films, thinking maybe they're a bit of brainless fun.  Turns out it was just the former.

Death Race was pretty ace though.  I bought it on VCD in Singapore yonks ago, then watched it again on cable and boy did they cut a tonne of violence off that VCD.

Russ

Quote from: SM on Jun 28, 2017, 10:07:38 AM

I've really tried watching the RE films, thinking maybe they're a bit of brainless fun.  Turns out it was just the former.

Guessing you're not an Underworld fan either *lol*

I dunno, I think they're great. I'm just waiting to get my hands on the blu-ray of the new one so I can have a marathon. That and Underworld. The agony of choice...

Ingwar

I cannot answer that question. I like all of them. Each one of them got's his unique style.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: SM on Jun 28, 2017, 10:07:38 AM
'ken oath is was shit.

Death Race was pretty ace though.  I bought it on VCD in Singapore yonks ago, then watched it again on cable and boy did they cut a tonne of violence off that VCD.

You can't dispute that the first Resident Evil Film was AWESOME! Yeah the sequels were Meh but that first Resident Evil to me is a cult classic.

SM

Yeah I can.  It was dull as.  Even the cool laser grid scene looked really fake.  Which is what mars most of Anderson's stuff.  It generally has this look of fakeness about it.  Musketeers was peak fake.  I'll exclude parts of Death Race and AvP and most of Event Horizon.

426Buddy

I thought Resident Evil was mediocre at best. The rest of the films were even worse than that.

Rankles75

The first Resident Evil was the closest I've ever come to walking out of the cinema...

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Rankles75 on Jun 29, 2017, 01:07:14 AM
The first Resident Evil was the closest I've ever come to walking out of the cinema...
Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 28, 2017, 11:45:22 PM
I thought Resident Evil was mediocre at best. The rest of the films were even worse than that.

:'( :'( haah, ah man. I was hoping you would of liked the first RE film 426Buddy. :)

Local Trouble

I would of if it was more like the game.  Which it should of been.  And it easily could of.

SM

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Vermillion on Jun 26, 2017, 09:16:44 PM
Titanic mediocre?
Did IQs just drop suddenly?

Avatar...sci-fi re-telling of Dances with Wolves...I get it but damn it wow'd everyone that saw it in IMAX and 3D

People are still saying this? lol

Maybe they should look up what Spaihts has said about mythic resonance.

PierreVW

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 28, 2017, 01:54:24 AM
Ridley Scott by a mile. I genuinely love several of his movies: The Duellists, Alien, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, Prometheus, The Counselor, and The Martian. All of his films have admirable qualities, imho. I watch his movies over and over and always find new things about them to appreciate. People who think he peaked early need to give his post-1990 resume another look.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet is second.

Fincher and Cameron are great craftsman but I don't resonate with their work. Fincher's Zodiac is the only undeniable masterpiece between the two of them, imho.

I forgot David Fincher. I love 4 of his films. So, my list is:

1.- Sir Ridley Scott.

2.- David Fincher
3.- Jean-Pierre Jeunet.
4.- James Cameron.
5.- Paul W.S. Anderson.

6.- The Awful Brothers.

Russ

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 29, 2017, 04:08:18 AM
I would of if it was more like the game.  Which it should of been.  And it easily could of.

Why? I have over a billion reasons why that line of logic is flawed. "People" don't give a shit about the games. They just want to be - by and large - entertained. And ALL the Resi movie are entertaining (to the vast majority of people).

Honestly - I've never played Resident Evil in my life (then again, I rate A:CM so it shows you how many games I have played).

Gamers give a shit about games. And, by and large, gamers are never - ever - happy with an adaptation. All the way from Uwe's cheap as chips "House of the Dead", through WS's bigger and bigger budget Ressies, past Angie's Tomb Raiders and on to the gazillion dollar "Assassin's Creed" with super-star Fass in the lead role.

Romero wrote a Resident script that was "just like the games." Honest: "Yet despite adhering to the game's mythology, Sony and Capcom ultimately passed on Romero's draft. Capcom producer Yoshiki Okamoto bluntly stated at the time: "Romero's script wasn't good, so Romero was fired."

http://variety.com/2016/film/spotlight/resident-evil-george-romero-failed-1201942677/

is the skinny. (There's a great line there about "you'd be forgiven for thinking that Anderson thought he was adapting "Call of Duty.").

But here we are, fifteen years later and only now has the Resi movie cycle ended. They've rebooted Spider-Man three times in that period, haven't they? Something like that, anyway. Superman twice... WSedient Evil had legs, man. People love that shit. I don't even know why myself, to be honest. They're just glorious in their camp, action-packed, zombie-slaying bollocks. (The first one was a really tight little movie though. The third one is my favourite - not directed by WS interestingly!).

I was reading this this morning (coincidentally): https://thescriptlab.com/features/main/7152-7152/ which makes for an interesting read.

There are plans afoot for a reboot that IS true to the games: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/resident-evil-reboot-cannes-film-festival-1202439086/ so maybe that will deliver?

Maybe I should just start a thread called "Russ defends Anderson, Wiseman and Boll" and everyone can throw stuff at me there instead.

SiL

The original RE is one of my go-to mindless movies. It rocks along, has a nice soundtrack, and Michelle Rodriguez chewing scenery.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Russ on Jun 29, 2017, 09:10:36 AM
"People" don't give a shit about the games. They just want to be - by and large - entertained. And ALL the Resi movie are entertaining (to the vast majority of people).

"People" were playing the games before the movies and new ones are still being produced even now that the movie series has ended.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/resident-evil-7-biohazard

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed