Ridley Scott Talks Return of Engineers for Alien: Covenant Sequel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 21, 2017, 08:21:26 AM

Author
Ridley Scott Talks Return of Engineers for Alien: Covenant Sequel (Read 51,497 times)

Ultramorph

Reminds me of DotS, where all the facehuggers got put on by hand.  :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jun 28, 2017, 03:24:04 PM
Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 27, 2017, 11:45:39 PM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jun 27, 2017, 06:52:36 PM

I would've preferred David sticking his hand in the egg, pulling out the facehugger, and tossing it towards Oram's face.

Is that a joke? I can't tell if that's serious or not.

It's basically what happened in Spaihts' draft.

I love the concept. Wasn't quite sure of it in Spaihts' drafts but I'd love to see something like that on screen, where it's shot all creepily.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: TWJones on Jun 27, 2017, 06:49:06 PM
I wanted to see David overpower Oram and just shove his face into the egg.

That would've been badass.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: LCpl. D. Grant on Jun 28, 2017, 08:36:41 PM
Quote from: TWJones on Jun 27, 2017, 06:49:06 PM
I wanted to see David overpower Oram and just shove his face into the egg.

That would've been badass.
As much as I defend the scene as it is, I do think this would have been creepier and more believable.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

That would've worked far better actually. Why they didn't think of such a simple expedient is beyond me.

Evanus

Evanus

I don't really think it fits David's character, though. I like the way it is in the film. It's similar to the way he infected Holloway. He kills them, but not directly like a human would do. It's almost like he's trying to justify what he does to them, because in his view what he's doing to them isn't wrong at all.   
David just forcing Oram to look inside the egg is a bit silly and out of character, in my opinion. But, one could argue that David is out of character for most of the film.  :P

rustyredraccoon

David holding Oram down and shoving his face into the egg would have been PERFECT in the context of the movie. I feel like Scott already tried to show (arguably successfully) David's true contempt for humans by how he acted when nobody else was around (attempting to violate Daniels, shoving the patch onto Lope's face, throwing stones at Oran's body). Him shoving Oram's face into the egg would have worked brilliantly.

Evanus

One thing I don't get, is why would David try to violate Daniels? He even says something along the lines of ''Now I see why Walter thought so much of you.'' Wait, he's admiring Daniels? Why? I thought he hated humans.. Except for Shaw, I guess.

rustyredraccoon

Quote from: Evanus on Jun 28, 2017, 09:28:27 PM
One thing I don't get, is why would David try to violate Daniels? He even says something along the lines of ''Now I see why Walter thought so much of you.'' Wait, he's admiring Daniels? Why? I thought he hated humans.. Except for Shaw, I guess.
As far as I am concerned, that is a pretty complicated question. In short, rape tends to be a power thing, and showing that you are more powerful over somebody with traits you admire is more of a "win" than violating somebody who is spiteful or weak.

Basically

"(He) wanted to destroy something beautiful."

I'm sure there could be a lot of discussion on this topic alone because it tends to be a touchy and complicated issue but this is my perspective on why he killed Shaw and attempted to violate Daniels.

Evanus

Yeah, that does make sense actually.

Man, David has become such a creep...

newagescamartist

Quote from: Evanus on Jun 28, 2017, 10:39:55 PM
Yeah, that does make sense actually.

Man, David has become such a creep...

He wanted his children to be born. What are few lab rats compared to his love?

TWJones

Quote from: Evanus on Jun 28, 2017, 09:12:57 PM
I don't really think it fits David's character, though. I like the way it is in the film. It's similar to the way he infected Holloway. He kills them, but not directly like a human would do. It's almost like he's trying to justify what he does to them, because in his view what he's doing to them isn't wrong at all.   
David just forcing Oram to look inside the egg is a bit silly and out of character, in my opinion. But, one could argue that David is out of character for most of the film.  :P

I totally understand where you're coming from, although I do think that David has this undercurrent of violence throughout the entire film, which we see when he stabs Walter, and when he overpowers Daniels. So to me, I do think that grabbing Oram by the hair and shoving his face into an egg that's just beginning to open would make sense.

In fact, I would have liked to have seen Oram say "No, I'm not looking in there. You tell me what it is." And then to see David get really frustrated that things aren't going according to plan, until he finally "loses his composure" and forces Oram's face just above the egg.

It would have removed the silliness of Oram just blindly looking into an egg when it's apparent that David is not right, and his lab is full of horrific creatures, and they've been under attack by horrific creatures. Obviously, something cute and cuddly is not inside the egg. I would have felt a lot different about this whole scene if Oram had shown a little more caution.

Apprently, Billy Crudup didn't even want to do it this way. He and Ridley had a bit of an argument about Oram just looking inside the egg. Crudup said, "No way, I know what happens when people look into it." And then he backed away. Ridley said, "Just look in the god damn egg."

So the set up was there to have it done a different way.

Subvert the expectations, I say. Take something recognizable, and do it a differently, do it in a way that gets to the same goal, just by a different route.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: Evanus on Jun 28, 2017, 09:28:27 PM

I think it is a testament to the idea that there are serious repercussions involved in meddling with the natural order of things. The Androids and the Engineers' biotechnology always seemed to me to be Scott's ways of saying we're not as important in the universe as we may seem, and that for each and every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, a sort of failsafe - if you will. We and the Engineers developed weapons of mass destruction, compelling the fundamental laws of nature to react in kind. David's programming has been rendered "all other priorities rescinded", and has fallen into a psychological undertow beckoned forth by said unwritten laws. David marvels at the hive intelligence of the motes in awe, as if he worships it. "Creation", the raw drive to reproduce and multiply. Humanity has their 'gods', David has his 'creation'. Stealing fire from said 'gods' and destroying them with it. It all makes sense, really.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed