Ridley Scott Talks Return of Engineers for Alien: Covenant Sequel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 21, 2017, 08:21:26 AM

Author
Ridley Scott Talks Return of Engineers for Alien: Covenant Sequel (Read 51,529 times)

Hughughug

Quote from: cliffhanger on Jun 24, 2017, 11:48:14 AM
Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 23, 2017, 10:48:35 PM
Quote from: cliffhanger on Jun 23, 2017, 08:04:00 PM
Honestly, i'm very let down by Covenant as i think it's just a huge turdpile. Frankly, i've really lost a lot of hope in this movie, and it's more or less destroyed the franchise forever.

Wow, dramatic, much?

no just an opinion. it's dramatic to cut away the context and then try to impose it as dramiatic while it isn't.
so what's your goal here then, huh?

Even in-context, it's overly dramatic. Boohoo muh mystery and hopelessness, it's now all adventures and gay cgi.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Hughughug on Jun 24, 2017, 06:33:22 PM
Honestly, i'm very let down by Covenant as i think it's just a huge turdpile. Frankly, i've really lost a lot of hope in this movie, and it's more or less destroyed the franchise forever.

Wow, dramatic, much?

no just an opinion. it's dramatic to cut away the context and then try to impose it as dramiatic while it isn't.

Even in-context, it's overly dramatic. Boohoo muh mystery and hopelessness, it's now all adventures and gay cgi.
Yeah, he's right, its pretty melodramatic.

If i had a dollar for everytime someone has said this series has been destroyed by "insert recently released alien film", I'de be rich.

Its been said for over 30 years.

cliffhanger

ah so, all of a sudden, the AVP movies and Resurection are no longer turdpiles. funny.
a pile of turd is a pile of turd, no matter from what angle you look upon it.

also, the general reception of the movie, the reviews around here etc. show that it's just what the public is thinking.

there's nothing dramatic about saying it as it is.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: cliffhanger on Jun 24, 2017, 08:38:12 PM
ah so, all of a sudden, the AVP movies and Resurection are no longer turdpiles. funny.
a pile of turd is a pile of turd, no matter from what angle you look upon it.

also, the general reception of the movie, the reviews around here etc. show that it's just what the public is thinking.

there's nothing dramatic about saying it as it is.

People have been saying it since Aliens was released in 86, and when alien3 came out people said it ruined the franchise forever, but it didnt.

As for general reception, if you look at the polls here and even at Xenopedia the poll there, its actually generally well recieved. Not to mention its certified fresh on rotten tomatoes. Not a great film imo, but i did enjoyed it. It didnt perform great at the box office but its not a flop either. Really the reason it seams so bad around here is because people with a negative opinion  are always so much louder than those who are positive. So yeah you are being hyperbolic and melodramatic.  ;)

echobbase79

I hope Ridely gets to finish it because I like the sound of where he's going with this. War of the Worlds indeed. He'll probably have to cut down on epic nature of the story. That's sounds like it will cost more than Prometheus and Covenant combined.

First Fox has to green light it which won't be an easy sell for them.

Highland

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 24, 2017, 06:58:50 PM
Quote from: Hughughug on Jun 24, 2017, 06:33:22 PM

Wow, dramatic, much?

Yeah, he's right, its pretty melodramatic.

If i had a dollar for everytime someone has said this series has been destroyed by "insert recently released alien film", I'de be rich.

Its been said for over 30 years.

A little bit of something does get destroyed with each movie though. Despite most of the back story's and extended Universe not being Canon ( and never will be), it's like there was always something left with Alien and Predator that you couldn't take away. That somewhere out there was just mysterious Alien creatures and I'll give you a small example.

I was reading the AVP comic book on the toilet yesterday, the 1990 original, it's a good little series and there was just a little niggle in the back of my brain, I already know this stuff doesn't exist, but now there's a voice saying "David made these Alien eggs, none of this stuff could have happened" It's stupid, really stupid, but it's there, and it's sort of makes you shake your head.

Even reading the fan letters was kind of sad, so much excitement and where's this going to go, when's the next issue! I dunno, it just felt like a little part of Alien was taken away.

I guess for a comparison it's like George Lucus giving us mediclorians. Nobody cares and the originals still stand, but that little fact is just sitting in the corner of the room somewhere smiling back at you.

426Buddy

Yeah and aliens turned them into mindless bugs with a dumb queen, totally ruining everything great and mysterious about the original film.

That may be true for some, just like David being the creator ruins it for some people too. Personally I can take each film as their own thing. For me ALIEN isnt hurt by Aliens, Aliens isnt ruined by Alien3, and A:R and the AvP films didnt destroy the whole franchise just because i dont really like them. I dislike the star wars prequels and the idea of midichlorians but it honestly didnt change how I feel about the original trilogy or the force.

When it comes to Covenant I found a lot to like and even though I dont like David being the creator either, it changes nothing about how I feel regarding the rest of the series. Besides I can easily believe that David only thinks he's the creator of the Alien and he's wrong just like he's wrong about who wrote Ozymandias (yes i know that belief upsets many around here).

Maybe its because, for me, its all just entertainement. I'm not usually the kind of person who takes movies and films seriously enough to get actually upset by them, AvPR possibly being the exception.

Highland

The problem is the timeline. They can do what they want after, but as soon as you step into prequel territory stuff starts to go South. I don't even mind the Star Wars Prequels because that was the plan from the start and there's back story in Episode 4. I mean guys want marines in the third prequel without thinking how utterly stupid that would be with regards to the timeline.

You don't have to care about what others think, I'm just telling you it's real, even if it's subtle and it kind of sucks just a little. Alien and Aliens will always remain classics, I don't have to worry about that.

newagescamartist

Quote from: Highland on Jun 25, 2017, 03:40:42 AM
The problem is the timeline. They can do what they want after, but as soon as you step into prequel territory stuff starts to go South. I don't even mind the Star Wars Prequels because that was the plan from the start and there's back story in Episode 4. I mean guys want marines in the third prequel without thinking how utterly stupid that would be with regards to the timeline.

You don't have to care about what others think, I'm just telling you it's real, even if it's subtle and it kind of sucks just a little. Alien and Aliens will always remain classics, I don't have to worry about that.

I agree about the marines. It makes no sense for them to show up in the next installment. It'd be pure fan service, and I don't think it's going to happen. I want Ridley to finish his series, and then I'll anxiously await sequels to the original series.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Highland on Jun 25, 2017, 03:40:42 AM

Yeah and aliens ruining the series is real for some people too, doesn't mean it actually did.

Scorpio

I'm neutral on Ridley including marines.  He might just put them in for fan service like he did with the alien in Covenant.  Or he might actually do something interesting with it.  Since he did GI Jane and Black Hawk Down I'd imagine something along those lines.

dinosauriac

The more of these things they release, the harder it gets to put this stuff out of your head when watching the originals. I've still not entirely gotten over the biomechanical suit deal from Prometheus, now if I go back and watch the classic scene where they "discover" the pilot in the original I'll never be able to not mentally flash on Ian Whyte in a bald cap.

NickisSmart

What I like about Ridley is that he's pushing for it, and he has power. How much is hard to say but the old man has plans and he's pushing forward with those in mind. He's getting shit done. You could argue it's all bluster at this stage and he's just keeping up in appearances, fiddling while Rome burns, but honestly Covenant, while underwhelming in the eyes of many, has done relatively well, across the board, given its budget and the kind of film that it is. It's by no means a box office smash, but it's hardly the fall of an empire, either. At this stage, I think the old man's just sticking to his guns, like he has, all long. If he was truly worried, I think we'd know it, by now, but he doesn't seem to even be sweating it. Maybe because there's nothing to sweat?

Call me nuts if you want but I say Ridley knows exactly what he's doing.

tleilaxu

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 25, 2017, 05:43:12 AM
What I like about Ridley is that he's pushing for it, and he has power. How much is hard to say but the old man has plans and he's pushing forward with those in mind. He's getting shit done. You could argue it's all bluster at this stage and he's just keeping up in appearances, fiddling while Rome burns, but honestly Covenant, while underwhelming in the eyes of many, has done relatively well, across the board, given its budget and the kind of film that it is. It's by no means a box office smash, but it's hardly the fall of an empire, either. At this stage, I think the old man's just sticking to his guns, like he has, all long. If he was truly worried, I think we'd know it, by now, but he doesn't seem to even be sweating it. Maybe because there's nothing to sweat?

Call me nuts if you want but I say Ridley knows exactly what he's doing.
I'm sure he still has a hard time evaluating quality (or maybe he doesn't really care), but given the improvements from Prometheus to Covenant I can't help but feel that Awakening will be monstrous, if it is made.

gantarat

What if 4th player is Dog-alien race from Out of the Shadows Novel ?

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Dog-alien

Fox: add them Ridley! or Movie will not get made !

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed