Colossal Director Nacho Vigalondo Interested in Directing Alien Sequel

Started by RidgeTop, Jun 08, 2017, 07:26:31 AM

Author
Colossal Director Nacho Vigalondo Interested in Directing Alien Sequel (Read 10,179 times)

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Director Nacho Vigalondo, best known for his recent dark-comedy sci-fi kaiju film “Colossal” has expressed interest in directing an Alien sequel.

Speaking with film news website ScreenRant, when asked what his dream project would be going forward, Vigalondo replied that he would love to helm an Alien film.

"Would I love to make an Alien sequel? Of course. That would be amazing. But does the world want to see my Alien sequel? I'm not sure."

The Kaiju monster from Director Nacho Vigalondo’s film, “Colossal.”

Vigalondo also explained how he feels R-rated films can gain massive success if done properly, and that studios are starting to take notice.

"I feel like we are approaching a gold-age of mainstream films. When you see the reactions to Logan, the John Wick film, Atomic Blonde, Baby Driver, it's something everybody loves. It's like you can make really smart and beautiful mainstream movies and people will accept them. I think that could happen. That would be great. I think the turn started with Mad Max: Fury Road. That movie changed the whole thing for many people."

This is the first new director we’ve seen since Neill Blomkamp express a desire to have a go at the property. With Alien: Covenant proving to be somewhat divisive among fans, as well as struggling at the box office, some have been expressing that it may be time for another director to take the reins.

What do you think? Would you like to see Scott’s prequel series continue or is it time for something different?

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator news! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Corporal Hicks

I'm still hoping to catch Colossal. Looks interesting. I think it was reviewing well too?

Nukiemorph

I'm hoping for closure on the prequels.  After that, I'm game for whatever.

robbritton

We've been ten years without any new blood (not that I'm claiming for a second Requiem was even close to any good!) in a series that was famous for utilising the visions of new(ish) directors. I reckon it's time. Good directors fighting the ghosts of Scott, Cameron, Fincher and (yes even) Jeunet are likely to bring their A-game to prove themselves, rather than old Ridders just complacently noodling along.

I'd like to see the preqs wrapped up, but I'd much rather see the Alien uinverse expanded out now.

skhellter

skhellter

he would make an alien resurrection 2.0
He's very much oriented towards dark comedies.
He also doesnt really have much of a filmmaking "style".
Meh.

Bong Joon-Ho would be the ideal director to make an Alien film.
He's already very much influenced by them.
(Between The Host and Snowpiercer, he already has a couple of genre classics in his CV..
Vigalondo's filmography is pretty anaemic by comparison).

howard.moody.566

Blomkamp has dibs.

skhellter

maybe after he makes a decent film.

he's been sucking hard for a while.

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

Ridley was the one who chose to embark on this particular 'explanation' of the 'space jockey' etc. in the first place...so I want him to be the one who's forced to come up with a conclusion to the dubious 'Chariots Of The Gods'-type storyline he went with it.  Let him be the director who solely has the challenge of getting this thing out of the headscratching mire he got it into. :P

There's also a part of me that wishes Lindelof had been forced to help come up with a conclusion to his own mediocre input on PROMETHEUS too, instead of being able to walk away and leave it to others to work things out as they go along...

By the way, this recent article has some interesting hints from Lindelof about where Ridley *might* be taking his storyline next - http://collider.com/damon-lindelof-alien-covenant-prometheus-interview/#ridleyscott

No matter what other promising, up-and-coming directors may suggested for the ALIEN COVENANT follow-up(s), I'd like Ridley's personal aesthetics to continue to the end of this current storyline, no matter what.  While there's quite a few dodgy moments I want to remove for myself from his latest entries in this franchise (Oram's 'fully-formed' chestburster, I'm especially looking at you!), I appreciate the particular visual flair that Ridley always brings to his movies. 

So I want that to be a consistent thing with this current storyline as it continues forwards, and just hope he'll tone done down some of his overly-pretentious tendancies as he continues to the end of whatever comes next - by the way, I reckon that the whole 'white room' opening of ALIEN COVENANT was laughably stiff if that was Weyland's initial interaction with his technologically amazing creation...and the fact that the script said 'ambulate' instead of something less formal like 'walk forward 5 steps' made me roll my eyes.  Perhaps Ridley was influenced by the kind of cold, cliniclal directing style of Kubrick's 2001:A SPACE ODYSSEY for that scene?  Whatever, I'll be scrapping that existing scene from my own version of the movie, and just be re-editing a VERY shortened version of it instead using only 3 shots that I'd like to include. ;D 

After Ridley's done, sure, I'll welcome some new blood in that can hopefully come up with an involving 'ALIEN-universe' storyline of their own.

LiquidMonster

He can do one *AFTER* Neill does his ALIEN V. Blomkamp has dibs. I love Sir Ridley but it's time for Fox to move on without him directing anymore ALIEN based films.

PierreVW

Nacho Vigalondo is very Mediocre.

I prefer King of Horror James Wan for the Remake of my favorite film ALIEN(1979).

Vrastal

Dont think ive seen any of his films but ive seen blomkamps and dont want him to touch this franchise.

I think gareth edwards might be able to pull off an Alien(s) film

And i did enjopy covenant i jsut want to see something post alien 3 that isnt related to the original trilogy

PierreVW

Quote from: Nazrel on Jun 08, 2017, 05:05:50 PM
Dont think ive seen any of his films but ive seen blomkamps and dont want him to touch this franchise.

I think gareth edwards might be able to pull off an Alien(s) film

And i did enjopy covenant i jsut want to see something post alien 3 that isnt related to the original trilogy

I hate J.J. Abrams but youngsters and nerds adore him.

So, J.J. Abrams for ALIEN movies.

Xanadu

Xanadu

Either Jordan Vough Roberts or Michael Doughraty.

Either Jordan Vough Roberts or Michael Doughraty.

Just let it die already.

CainsSon

CainsSon

TIMECRIMES is likely my favorite sci-fi thriller of the past 2 decades. There was a post on WY Bulletin recently asking what directors we'd like to see try an Alien film. If we cant get Cronenberg (Who is the only director I have absolutely NO DOUBT would make a great ALIEN film) I suggest Nacho Vigolando - Im all for it!

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 08, 2017, 07:35:37 AM
I'm still hoping to catch Colossal. Looks interesting. I think it was reviewing well too?

Dont miss TIMECRIMES either.

Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 08, 2017, 04:46:47 PM
Nacho Vigalondo is very Mediocre.

I prefer King of Horror James Wan for the Remake of my favorite film ALIEN(1979).

^^The struggle is real.
:-X

Tonyhartmorph

What is going on here? Ok, we get it, the Alien series had an impact on your career in some way. I tried to break into Shepperton Studios as a teenager to see the 'Creature Workshop' that didn't exist, if I wasn't so young it would have had an impact (criminal record-wise) on me too. Why do these idiots keep coming forward and attempt to insert themselves into an already running film series? It's so obnoxious.

I really feel bad for Ridley Scott having to deal with interlopers like Blomkamp and... whoever.

I've seen Colossal, all I thought was 'how twee'.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed