Chinese Edit of Covenant Has No Aliens?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 06, 2017, 02:40:29 PM

Author
Chinese Edit of Covenant Has No Aliens? (Read 47,290 times)

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

Very interesting.  I fully support the regime's decision to shield their cinema audiences from the ridiculous 'fully-formed' Oram chestburster footage! :P

In fact, there's a part of me that's actually curious to view this 'Chinese Cut' sometime, to see how it turned out. ;D

@ CainsSon - like you, I kinda feel that I'd have preferred ALIEN COVENANT to have just featured the albino-like Neomorphs throughout.  Something nearer the 'Giger-esque'-looking 'Big Chap' could have then come about in the next movie instead. 

Trouble is, I reckon there would have been a helluva lot of complaints either way...

(by the way, love the fan poster which erased the alien, and only features David now!) :laugh:

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

QuoteHere is a more detailed account on the deleted scenes of Chinese version.
back bursting is entirely removed. They only kept a second of  baby Neo close-up
baby Neo attacking Karine is removed.
baby neo smashing the window is removed
mouth bursting is removed
Engineer scene, some more detailed engineer death scenes are removed.
Rosenthal encountering adult neo; the first Neo close up is there, but the sequent jaw-opening and neck biting is removed.
Rosenthal's head floating is removed
Shaw is body scene is mostly removed, they kept about a second of face close up.
David kissing Walter is removed
The chest bursting scene is partially removed, but the Xeno baby close-up is kept. However the hand waving mimic part is removed.
Close up on the acid blood effect of the face hugger is removed
The first adult Xeno encounter. Three seconds of Xeno close up is removed.
About 3-4 seconds of Adult Xeno smashing its head against the window close up is removed.
Shower scene, most Xeno attack scene is removed.
Some Xeno close up in the last confrontation is removed.

You guys need to look at the bright side to this. It's now effectively a G or PG movie, so little kiddies and teenagers can also go and watch it. That means it will do crazy box office numbers in China. Billions of $$$'s guaranteed. Riddles will now be able to do his six, big budget sequels/prequels/sidequels.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: necrotard on Jun 07, 2017, 06:17:41 PM
Yeah, the alien has a penis for a head.  The neo's head is more pointy...

...but it DOES have a butthole for a mouth.

Whatever, China.  Whatever.

LMFAO  :D :D

ridleyhater

ridleyhater

This isn't The Martian, the only half decent ridley scott  film in decades.  Prometheus and Covenant are lifeless unoriginal uninspired group filmmaking , with audiences and the filmmakers themselves totally clueless what the films intend(ed) to be.  The sorry box office results hint of this.  Cutting or adding footage  won't save this ridley scott garbage  which he keeps churning out .

Salt The Fries

Quote from: ridleyhater on Jun 08, 2017, 04:43:34 PM
This isn't The Martian, the only half decent ridley scott  film in decades.  Prometheus and Covenant are lifeless unoriginal uninspired group filmmaking , with audiences and the filmmakers themselves totally clueless what the films intend(ed) to be.  The sorry box office results hint of this.  Cutting or adding footage  won't save this ridley scott garbage  which he keeps churning out .

Show some respect to Sir Ridley Scott, man!

And not always box office is an indicator of films' quality. Come on, if that were the case, Transformers films would've been lauded as masterpieces by scholars.

howard.moody.566

The Bejinger report that the audience found that the cuts result in Alien: Covenant being "abrupt" and as "ruin[ing] the rhythm of the film." That sounds like the version I saw.They should have cut 122 minutes out of it.

Xanadu

Xanadu

They should remove every Alien from it, I am really curious to see how a Alien movie without an Alien would look like. Instead have Alien's POV shots done in manner of Evil Dead.

@salt the fries:
Maybe YOU should show some respect to what cinema is.  Ridley scott clearly doesn't anymore.  ( even this site had a story that claimed covenant was rushed to made into a sequel when prometheus was already so messed up that they should have given more thought about the direction of the sequel.  but nooooo... ridley wanted to be a careless irresponsible filmmaker like today's self indulgent brainless directors, trumping his once good rep.)  and who said box office is the ultimate judge??... but box office does show films like  covenant is not on the same level as his glorious ALIEN etc as audiences know the sequel is as screwy as the "all over the place" prometheus.  Even ridley admitted he made mistakes.  these filmmakers are given hundreds of millions of bucks to make at least a movie with some clarity and precision in basic storytelling, and you would agree and expect them ( esp seasoned "masters" like ridley) to be careful with developing covenant after the "mistakes prone" prometheus!   did hitchcock work like this movie after movie?  He learned to be very careful after each mistake and then made a subsequent better film, with far less time and money.  and you want me to respect irresponsible development/ filmmaking exemplified by covenant just because it's from ridley (whom we rightly  expected a lot)??? You serious????   i have given him enough fu**king respect, over decades of really really shitty films ( recent being the counselor, exodus, anyone?, his last good movie was  Thelma & Louise and/ or  Black Rain?., not even the overrated half decent martian that took more time in development).  Maybe RIDLEY SHOULD STOP BEING THE CARELESS RIDLEY AND START RESPECTING THE/HIS AUDIENCE! nuff said.

My reply post to "salt the fries" was somehow posted inside xanadu's post.  If that's the case, Dont know how that happened (apologies to xanadu.)

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

The Xenomorph 'point-of-view' shots were pretty awful too - their 'videogame' vibe kinda took me out of the movie when they appeared,  For such a 'perfect organism', it sure had some dodgy-looking vision!  If the Chinese are lucky, those shots will be cut too.

Preddysteadygo

Here in HongKong there's no cut...but the film was still terribly boring and i hated it...not as bad as resurrection...but still bad

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Preddysteadygo on Jun 08, 2017, 11:05:16 PM
Here in HongKong there's no cut...but the film was still terribly boring and i hated it...not as bad as resurrection...but still bad

Glad to hear. I actually thought Prometheus was the boring one. I thought Alien Covenant improved upon the terrible pacing and horrible dialogue of Prometheus and really delivered. I liked Alien Covenant a hell of a lot more!

SM

SM

QuoteShow some respect to Sir Ridley Scott, man!

Respect from a guy imaginatively named ridleyhater?  :D

Scorpio

All this hate for Ridley Scott now..  I can understand the hate for George Lucas because of the SW Special Editions and refusing to release the original versions, but I cannot understand the hate for Scott.  Especially the low brow remarks about his age.  The guy is passionate about movies, and he's a great director.

ridleyhater

ridleyhater

Hey SM, it's not my handle name that is the problem, is it?  it's the film and the shitty job the filmmakers did.   i got as much right to disrespect ridley etc as much as you got the right to respect him/the film.  so stop with the personal innuendos, as i have equal right to express my view, as this is public forum after all, and i am sure with your imaginative handle name you can respect the fact that there are people, maybe even more so now ( including reviewers here and abroad) who are more confused and turned off by covenant ( which ridley says the NEXT sequel will be " clearer").  if you like that kind of sloppy filmmaking that tarnish the Alien lore, like AVP series , then that says a lot about YOU but that's your right.  buy please dont resort to excuses or personal innuendos to obstruct my equal right to disdain this garbage prometheus series that gets worse and more muddled ( not better).   I got MORE respect for the ALIEN lore than you, i am sure.  Nuff said.

Deaconschristpose

Ghostbusters Redux wasn't allowed in China due to the censors not allowing demonic imagery or something similiar.  Probably why a lot of the scenes were cut, and the extraterrestrial/alien theme may have given a slight pass? The Neomorphs looked human enough maybe? I have no clue, but it's probably relative to the Ghostbusters issue.
Hell, the Stones can't even play Brown Sugar in China because it's about interacial sex.

And interesting about them cutting the David/chestburster mimic part of the scene!  If China censors Christian imagery, it may fit with the whole Jesus Engineer/decaon mural theory. ;)

Seed-and-Weed

Quote from: Deaconschristpose on Jun 09, 2017, 05:55:24 AM
Ghostbusters Redux wasn't allowed in China due to the censors not allowing demonic imagery or something similiar.  Probably why a lot of the scenes were cut, and the extraterrestrial/alien theme may have given a slight pass? The Neomorphs looked human enough maybe? I have no clue, but it's probably relative to the Ghostbusters issue.
Hell, the Stones can't even play Brown Sugar in China because it's about interacial sex.

And interesting about them cutting the David/chestburster mimic part of the scene!  If China censors Christian imagery, it may fit with the whole Jesus Engineer/decaon mural theory. ;)

As far as I know, Chinese censors don't really cut the film themselves. The FOX cuts the film and delivers the new version to the censorship. Censors decides whether it is passable or not.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed