Chinese Edit of Covenant Has No Aliens?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 06, 2017, 02:40:29 PM

Author
Chinese Edit of Covenant Has No Aliens? (Read 47,806 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 07, 2017, 04:03:03 PM
Maybe they took offence at the shape of it's head?
Most likely, even though you never get a glamour shot of the penis back end of it

axiomatic

axiomatic

Quote from: juxtapose on Jun 07, 2017, 04:36:15 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 07, 2017, 03:26:07 AM
I thought thw cgi was good overall but i would have greatly preferred them to use practical and cgi together more instead of painting over all of tbe practical.
yes i agree. .a combination of practical and cg is the best way to go. .but I thought it still looked great and the budget was very decent if you take everything into account. .

This. There are tons of CG in fury road for example but the core is practical stunt work and props and there is where your mind focuses.

And by tons I mean it would probably surprise most folks how much of that movie shots were changed by computer. But the core of every shot is almost always practical. That movie could not have been made the way it was without todays technology.

CG is fine but not for the core story elements.

Seed-and-Weed

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jun 06, 2017, 07:09:01 PM
Quote from: Seed-and-Weed on Jun 06, 2017, 06:59:02 PM
Ain't everyone seem to be complaining about the third act with Xeno anyway? It would be interesting to see the "no/less-Xeno" version.

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Jun 06, 2017, 06:57:14 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on Jun 06, 2017, 06:08:37 PM
Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 06, 2017, 06:06:40 PM
Ah, I misunderstood. Will be interesting to see reviews and box office fro China to see how they like it. Of it does huge business in China with the Aliens cut out but tanked just about everywhere else, that is also an interesting indicator.

I don't know what it would be an indicator of really. I haven't seen the Chinese cut but I can't imagine its coherent at all. If it succeeds I don't know what that really tells you.

I can't see it making any sense what so ever and would this also mean no neomorpth either?

According to some reviews, the Neomorph got more scenes than Xenomorph. I think someone said there is only about 10+ seconds of Xenomorph's appearance and none of them includes a full-body shot. On the bright side, maybe this will make Xeno mysterious again lol.

Why would they remove the Alien but not the Neo? Those scenes are far more violent.

Here is a more detailed account on the deleted scenes of Chinese version.

back bursting is entirely removed. They only kept a second of  baby Neo close-up

baby Neo attacking Karine is removed.

baby neo smashing the window is removed

mouth bursting is removed

Engineer scene, some more detailed engineer death scenes are removed.

Rosenthal encountering adult neo; the first Neo close up is there, but the sequent jaw-opening and neck biting is removed.

Rosenthal's head floating is removed

Shaw is body scene is mostly removed, they kept about a second of face close up.

David kissing Walter is removed

The chest bursting scene is partially removed, but the Xeno baby close-up is kept. However the hand waving mimic part is removed.

Close up on the acid blood effect of the face hugger is removed

The first adult Xeno encounter. Three seconds of Xeno close up is removed.

About 3-4 seconds of Adult Xeno smashing its head against the window close up is removed.

Shower scene, most Xeno attack scene is removed.

Some Xeno close up in the last confrontation is removed.

And also, the movie is official retitled as "Fantastic Aliens and Where to Find Them?"

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Seed-and-Weed on Jun 07, 2017, 07:49:17 PM
Ain't everyone seem to be complaining about the third act with Xeno anyway? It would be interesting to see the "no/less-Xeno" version.

Ah, I misunderstood. Will be interesting to see reviews and box office fro China to see how they like it. Of it does huge business in China with the Aliens cut out but tanked just about everywhere else, that is also an interesting indicator.

I don't know what it would be an indicator of really. I haven't seen the Chinese cut but I can't imagine its coherent at all. If it succeeds I don't know what that really tells you.

I can't see it making any sense what so ever and would this also mean no neomorpth either?

According to some reviews, the Neomorph got more scenes than Xenomorph. I think someone said there is only about 10+ seconds of Xenomorph's appearance and none of them includes a full-body shot. On the bright side, maybe this will make Xeno mysterious again lol.

Why would they remove the Alien but not the Neo? Those scenes are far more violent.

back bursting is entirely removed. They only kept a second of  baby Neo close-up

Rosenthal encountering adult neo; the first Neo close up is there, but the sequent jaw-opening and neck biting is removed.

Shaw is body scene is mostly removed, they kept about a second of face close up.

The chest bursting scene is partially removed, but the Xeno baby close-up is kept. However the hand waving mimic part is removed.

About 3-4 seconds of Adult Xeno smashing its head against the window close up is removed.

And also, the movie is official retitled as "Fantastic Aliens and Where to Find Them?"
Lol is the last line a joke? :D

Seed-and-Weed

Seed-and-Weed

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jun 07, 2017, 07:53:16 PM

Nope, I don't think Chinese audience will ever find the Aliens without some extra help from Danny lol.

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jun 07, 2017, 07:53:16 PM

Wait, I actually wanted to say Newt Scamander... Never mind, wrong joke.

Won't mind an extra Newt in the franchise though lol.

Nukiemorph

Here you go, Fox.  I fixed the poster for your Chinese release:

question11

Add more Shaw might be a better film

Nukiemorph

Well that makes it sound like the vast majority of the alien stuff is still in the film...  It sounds more like the neomorph almost got completely removed.

CainsSon

I just want to go on the record and say that IMO if they removed every scence with the Alien and replaced the ALIEN with the Neomorph, it would have been a substantially better film.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 06, 2017, 02:40:29 PM
I have absolutely no idea as to the truth of this...

QuoteAlmost all shoots of Alien in #AlienCovenant were cut in China... So Chinese audience will see a Alien film without Alien...

https://twitter.com/weier1231997/status/872099613699866624

Maybe because they expect the film to leak from China and are trying to make sure cleaner versions don't get out in lieu of the weak BO? - A shot in the dark.

Rockybear

Rockybear

Quote from: necrotard on Jun 07, 2017, 08:59:48 PM
Here you go, Fox.  I fixed the poster for your Chinese release:

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Highland on Jun 07, 2017, 06:40:50 AM
I think although the CGI doesn't look perfect, movies these days have conditioned me to not bother about it. I mean your literally bombarded with so much CGI now, it's past the point of rating it anymore.

Yes. The use of CGI has become a widespread tool for modern film makers (just as miniatures and rear screen projection was in the past).
Take David Fincher. He uses lots of CGI in his recent films, even when it would not seem necessary.
According to one video (see below), "The Social Network" had more special effects shots than "Godzilla".

Film making has always included special effects shots since the beginning from "A Trip to the Moon" to "Citizen Kane" to "Alien".
- CGI has now gotten so good that if a director, like Fincher, wants to make a typical city background CGI, the audience can not tell that it's CGI.
The Winklevoss twins in "The Social Network" (played by one actor) are done with seamless digital effects.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QChWIFi8fOY

;)

Corporal Hicks

Do you have a source for this info, please?

ZombiMorph

Regardless of censorship cuts, I think the film was destined to do poorly in mainland China. There has been no real advertising outside of Tier-1 cities (and the advertising there has been very minimal compared to other countries) and a 2-D release. I've been seeing posters and ads everywhere for the latest Pirates of the Caribbean film and Chinese social media posts hyping that p.o.s., in contrast.

I would hope those with their eyes on the financial returns for this film would be smart enough to not pin hopes on the Chinese film-going audience. Most who do have an interest have already downloaded crappy cam versions.

That said, I'll be seeing it with several expats on release, just to see what isn't there. The cuts made to Logan felt very jarring to me, so I hope that isn't the case here. :(

Corporal Hicks

Scorpio

The censors regard themselves as intellectually and morally superior to the lower classes, hence why they are not affected by the cut material.  It's a caste thing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed