Can I dream?

Started by Snake, May 29, 2017, 09:46:38 PM

Author
Can I dream? (Read 2,903 times)

Snake

Snake

Skip to about 00:50

Newt: Are we going to sleep all the way home?

Ripley: All the way home.

Newt: Can I dream?

Ripley: Yes honey, I think we both can. Sleep tight...

Newt: Affirmative...

To my mind, this is why all the sequels/ prequels that come after Alien(s) are having such a hard time pleasing it's fanbase.
I'm not saying I changed my mind, I still think Covenant is the best Alien-film in...twenty...five...years. But I let my excitement get the best of me.
Covenant is great but there's no way Oram, Shaw or even David can beat characters like Ripley and Newt. Because they are real f*cking human beings!

We don't have any characters like them in the prequels! This simple dialogue between Ripley and Newt is so emotionally powerful it puts Prometheus and Covenant with all the BIG and IMPORTANT questions to shame!
Covenant was a step in the right direction in terms of character development, but even then, it felt forced at times.
I think it's mindblowing that not even the best writers of Hollywood can't see what made the first films such classics!

'You don't see them f*cking each other over for a goddamn percentage!'  >:(

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Bump! ;)

This is entirely true. I miss the meaningful, real dialogue between characters and our old friends Newt and Hicks. Dat Nostalgic James Horner score and the incredible heroism displayed by our old pal Ripley. Alien Covenant to me is the first Alien movie that feels and looks like a real Alien film. Prometheus didn't feel or look like an Alien film AT ALL in my opinion. The way Angry Joe felt about Alien Covenant is EXACTLY the anger and disappointment I felt with Prometheus. I was surprised because I HATED Prometheus but LOVE Alien Covenant. Ridley has whole-heartedly restored my faith in him directing more Alien films. Even though I still am holding my hopes out for Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5. Which I also hope happens soon so Sigourney and Michael don't get too old!!

Snake

Snake

Totally agree man. Prometheus was a massive heap of dino droppings, Covenant is the real shit!  :D
I've waited for more than 20 years for this film!

But there's something missing from Alien(s) here. It somewhat lacks passion and heart, which is just too bad.  :(
But it's a real gem compared to Prometheus. Please check out the trailer below, imo the final product looked nothing like THIS:

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Snake on May 31, 2017, 09:31:33 PM
Totally agree man. Prometheus was a massive heap of dino droppings, Covenant is the real shit!  :D

But there's something missing from Alien(s) here. It somewhat lacks passion and heart, which is just too bad.  :(
But it's a real gem compared to Prometheus. Please check out the trailer below, imo the final product looked nothing like THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4milKbppxE

WOW!!! :o

FUUCCKKK!! That trailer brings back sooooooooooo many good memories and excitement I had before I actually saw that steaming pile of shit in theaters with a PACKED audience at 12 am opening night and the group of guys sitting next to me WREAKING of pot. I was so excited I had purchased an additional set of tickets for 2 different showings the day after before-hand. That trailer actually makes Prometheus look like a class A++++ Alien film which in the end we all know it clearly wasn't which is such a shame because it's the trailers for Prometheus like the one above that made so many regular people go see the movie and than feel so f**king let down afterwards. The slow, boring pace with the horrible stiff ridden character dialogue and lack of interesting or exciting gore/action. I hated Prometheus and still do after repeated viewings and seeing it for the umphteenth time. I find myself falling asleep almost every 20 minutes or so if I watch it. I'm gladly dumping Prometheus and welcoming Alien Covenant with open happy arms!! ;D ;) ::)

question11

question11

Elizabeth Shaw was a better character than any character in Aliens, a very simplistic, shoot-em-up action movie.

Dirty Harry

Dirty Harry

People must understand that it´s impossible to recreate the impact these films had on us at that time.
It´s a ephemeral sensation related to our youth,something that will never return....unfortunately.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Beautifully put.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Dirty Harry on May 31, 2017, 11:30:52 PM
People must understand that it´s impossible to recreate the impact these films had on us at that time.
It´s a ephemeral sensation related to our youth,something that will never return....unfortunately.

I agree and disagree to an extent. Alien trilogy, while my second fave mythos, was not part of my childhood and discovered it relatively late, well, in early teens in early 90s, but they dont have any nostalgic attachment to it, I actually appreciated the first two films more (always loved Alien 3 most, I know, weird) as an adult than I did when I first saw them. For me , with Alien, everything is perfect. The mood, the hearbeat sound, the hyperrealism of the sound effects, the tension, the designs, its all masterfully put together. The second one I love most for its beautiful expressionist imagery and odd feel, and the third for its nihilistic, one of a kind feel. The difference is, the style of the movies, their feel and structure, is just so much different now in 2010s than it was decades ago, and movies with that feel just wont happen now, I think its the difference in tone/style that may be offputting for someone, but once we accept that its a different "modern way" of presenting stories nowadays, I think its easier to enjoy them objectively

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jun 01, 2017, 02:50:16 AM
Quote from: Dirty Harry on May 31, 2017, 11:30:52 PM

I agree and disagree to an extent. Alien trilogy, while my second fave mythos, was not part of my childhood and discovered it relatively late, well, in early teens in early 90s, but they dont have any nostalgic attachment to it, I actually appreciated the first two films more (always loved Alien 3 most, I know, weird) as an adult than I did when I first saw them. For me , with Alien, everything is perfect. The mood, the hearbeat sound, the hyperrealism of the sound effects, the tension, the designs, its all masterfully put together. The second one I love most for its beautiful expressionist imagery and odd feel, and the third for its nihilistic, one of a kind feel. The difference is, the style of the movies, their feel and structure, is just so much different now in 2010s than it was decades ago, and movies with that feel just wont happen now, I think its the difference in tone/style that may be offputting for someone, but once we accept that its a different "modern way" of presenting stories nowadays, I think its easier to enjoy them objectively

Most definitely. Back in those days they couldn't show you you're worst nightmares because the technology wasn't available to do so. They relied upon atmosphere, dread and your imagination to fill in the gaps. That's why Alien, jaws, Texas chainsaw etc were much scarier. The sound of Lambert's screams as Ripley runs through the corridors of the Nostromo and all that implies is still chilling to me now, these days they would just show the alien ripping her head off.

Rudiger

Rudiger

Quote from: question11 on May 31, 2017, 11:24:58 PM
Elizabeth Shaw was a better character than any character in Aliens, a very simplistic, shoot-em-up action movie.

Better than Ripley? Don't be so daft.

josh.reload

josh.reload

Quote from: Snake on May 31, 2017, 09:31:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4milKbppxE
Man, I always thought the part in the trailer where Janek's jaw drops was him seeing some f**ked up alien shenanigans.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Protozoid

Protozoid

Quote from: Rudiger on Jun 01, 2017, 10:45:13 PM

Yes, better than Ripley, especially if you only compare Shaw with Ripley from the first Alien. It took Ripley several movies to become the character we know her as. Without those three additional movies, her character, the way it was conceived, has very little dimension or much of a personality. I really like Ripley as a character, but I don't think she's particularly interesting on the page. It's Weaver and the fact that she's the center of a compelling story, not the character.

newagescamartist

newagescamartist

Weaver was amazing in Aliens. She carried the entire film acting wise.

Rudiger

Rudiger

Quote from: newagescamartist on Jun 03, 2017, 05:23:33 AM
Weaver was amazing in Aliens. She carried the entire film acting wise.

Quite. Don't remember Noomi getting an Oscar nomination for her stellar work in Prometheus...

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 03, 2017, 04:23:43 AM
Quote from: Rudiger on Jun 01, 2017, 10:45:13 PM

Yes, better than Ripley, especially if you only compare Shaw with Ripley from the first Alien. It took Ripley several movies to become the character we know her as. Without those three additional movies, her character, the way it was conceived, has very little dimension or much of a personality. I really like Ripley as a character, but I don't think she's particularly interesting on the page. It's Weaver and the fact that she's the center of a compelling story, not the character.

Error, no it didn't. Have you actually watched Alien?

Protozoid

Protozoid

Yes, I saw Alien in the last two weeks. Her characteristics from Alien mostly carry over to Aliens, but she is far from being a well developed character. Not by a long shot. Remember when Dallas shielded her from the dead facehugger? After she squealed? And wears underwear that'd way too small? Yeah, super deep portrayal. She worked as a B movie scream queen, nothing more. I've also read Alien, two versions, in fact. Her character is cardboard, like everyone else. Its the actors that were good. The actors reacted well and helped suspend disbelief while rubber monsters attacked them. Let's not kid ourselves about Alien being great character work like you'd find in Elia Kazan or Robert Altman movies. This isn't even Tarantino. It was a movie about a rubber monster that gets an Englishman pregnant. Ripley was slightly better than adequate, with good moments and weak ones in a largely cardboard role.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed