Angry Joe review and rant

Started by The Cruentus, May 29, 2017, 09:38:48 AM

Author
Angry Joe review and rant (Read 5,838 times)

Gash

Gash

Quote from: windebieste on May 29, 2017, 10:54:05 AM
Lope?  Getting face hugged..?  ...and the short time it's on his face?

Yeah, I can see how folks are upset by that. 

That is, if they didn't give it any thought.

Just watched the scene again - 13 seconds. Plenty of time. Doesn't contradict anything.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 29, 2017, 11:58:43 AM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 29, 2017, 11:32:32 AM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 29, 2017, 10:59:39 AM

That is, if they didn't give it any thought.  I'm thinking the time in 'ALIEN: Covenant' is the normal elapsed time and Kane's experience was the anomaly.  ...and it's all perfectly reasonable, really.

Kane's facehugger attacked him in an oxygen depleted environment.  Of course it wasn't going to just hop off of him straight away.  It was keeping him alive by staying on his face and feeding him oxygen, ensuring the host stayed alive for the duration of the gestation.

Lope by comparison didn't need the hugger to keep him alive.  He was ganked in a breathable environment.  The hugger didn't need to feed him oxygen. 

It's not that hard, folks.  Think a little.  If you need to be spoon fed your answers, maybe Disney content is more your thing.

-Windebieste.

I already answered this before...Russ Jordan. It was on his face for 26 hours and the atmoshere was fine. Then there is marachuk or whatever his name was. So no, the Lope thing has no justification imo.

Or alternatively the reason why its aliens which messes up the 'lore'

Possibly but remember that certain forms of paralysis will stop your breathing hence why a host is depended on the facehugger. However, it may be that the facehugger in Covenant don't use sedatives, as Oram seemed to be strangled into unconsciousness.

Quote from: skhellter on May 29, 2017, 10:58:49 AM
Also.. holding onto the victim ensures that the victims dont kill themselves or the embryo after the... rape...
and that any procedure to extract the embryo is difficult and next to impossible.

Implanting the embryo itself might always be a quick process...
specially if the facehugger feels threatened in anyway. (It was under attack)

You are actually not far off, as in the 24 hour period of attachment, the implantation actually happens at least below half that time and rest of the time spent on the host is to ensure the implant is secure and starts deleveloping in the chest. However, seconds is still too fast.

Quote from: Omegamorph on May 29, 2017, 11:33:34 AM
Why do we even care about what a YT reviewer thinks?

Some reviews can just simply be worth discussing especially on such things that can divide the fandom and Joe does have some rep and has interviewed people such as game devs etc, not that much different to what some reviewers like Hicks here do. Of course its best to try and be impartial and logical but the points Joe criticizing are sore points for some fans, others will agree, others will not.

But Hicks etc don't do it in the manner of a child. I'm not interested in the views of anyone who chooses to dress up a a colonial marine. Sorry but that's just wrong.

Vermillion

Vermillion

Seriously Ridley doesn't consider Aliens canon.

Surely this can't be a true statement??

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Vermillion on May 29, 2017, 12:06:29 PM

I doubt it's true. Never seen anything that would confirm it.

In my own personal wish fulfillment it would be true, but that's clutching at straws. Cameron's lore exists as one route, one that can left in the sequels.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 29, 2017, 12:04:19 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 29, 2017, 11:58:43 AM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 29, 2017, 11:32:32 AM

That is, if they didn't give it any thought.  I'm thinking the time in 'ALIEN: Covenant' is the normal elapsed time and Kane's experience was the anomaly.  ...and it's all perfectly reasonable, really.

Kane's facehugger attacked him in an oxygen depleted environment.  Of course it wasn't going to just hop off of him straight away.  It was keeping him alive by staying on his face and feeding him oxygen, ensuring the host stayed alive for the duration of the gestation.

Lope by comparison didn't need the hugger to keep him alive.  He was ganked in a breathable environment.  The hugger didn't need to feed him oxygen. 

It's not that hard, folks.  Think a little.  If you need to be spoon fed your answers, maybe Disney content is more your thing.

-Windebieste.

I already answered this before...Russ Jordan. It was on his face for 26 hours and the atmoshere was fine. Then there is marachuk or whatever his name was. So no, the Lope thing has no justification imo.

Or alternatively the reason why its aliens which messes up the 'lore'

Possibly but remember that certain forms of paralysis will stop your breathing hence why a host is depended on the facehugger. However, it may be that the facehugger in Covenant don't use sedatives, as Oram seemed to be strangled into unconsciousness.

Quote from: skhellter on May 29, 2017, 10:58:49 AM
Also.. holding onto the victim ensures that the victims dont kill themselves or the embryo after the... rape...
and that any procedure to extract the embryo is difficult and next to impossible.

Implanting the embryo itself might always be a quick process...
specially if the facehugger feels threatened in anyway. (It was under attack)

You are actually not far off, as in the 24 hour period of attachment, the implantation actually happens at least below half that time and rest of the time spent on the host is to ensure the implant is secure and starts deleveloping in the chest. However, seconds is still too fast.

Quote from: Omegamorph on May 29, 2017, 11:33:34 AM
Why do we even care about what a YT reviewer thinks?

Some reviews can just simply be worth discussing especially on such things that can divide the fandom and Joe does have some rep and has interviewed people such as game devs etc, not that much different to what some reviewers like Hicks here do. Of course its best to try and be impartial and logical but the points Joe criticizing are sore points for some fans, others will agree, others will not.

But Hicks etc don't do it in the manner of a child. I'm not interested in the views of anyone who chooses to dress up a a colonial marine. Sorry but that's just wrong.

I agree that the theatrics and the outbursts can be annoying, I watch his reviews only regarding the Alien franchise. The comparison I was making is that they are both fans and use a site, and have spoken to crewmemers/devs and both reviews make good points and are accurate but yes, their in doing so is different but then Joe's prefix title says it all.

Concerning the character's intelligence, the lore, ignoring the interesting elements of prometheus and so on, he is right. The story requires the character's making stupid choices and using horror tropes.

Quote from: Vermillion on May 29, 2017, 12:06:29 PM

I hope not, but that what is going around on here. Mind you there are a few trolllers about so you got take it with a pinch of salt.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 29, 2017, 12:14:13 PM

Concerning the character's intelligence, the lore, ignoring the interesting elements of prometheus and so on, he is right. The story requires the character's making stupid choices and using horror tropes.

I consider that ironic. Talk about stupidity - the film requires it's audience to think. It does not ignore the interesting parts of Prometheus and the horror tropes are there as a fan service to generic fanboy idiots who can't cope with a story with some deeper resonance unless it's peppered with a healthy dose of franchise cliche. Angry Joe is the sort who scuppers the chance of any film being made on it's own artistic merits and then complains about it.

JohnnyChimpo

JohnnyChimpo

Quote from: Gash on May 29, 2017, 12:26:47 PM

I consider that ironic. Talk about stupidity - the film requires it's audience to think. It does not ignore the interesting parts of Prometheus and the horror tropes are there as a fan service to generic fanboy idiots who can't cope with a story with some deeper resonance unless it's peppered with a healthy dose of franchise cliche. Angry Joe is the sort who scuppers the chance of any film being made on it's own artistic merits and then complains about it.
You have such an elitist view on things. Looking down on people who don't share the same view. It's pitiful really. Also, be careful calling people idiots, its not a great stance to have if you don't know the difference between "hadn't have" and "hadn't of".

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

He was referring to fact that Covenant swipes the whole "finding out why they wanted us dead " plot under the rug for more focus on the Alien origin. As for the horror tropes, that is why it is a problem, the film should not have lowered itself for the casual viewers, worse still is that the even casual viewer tires of typical horror tropes and would not want to see it. :P

I don't think the film requires much thinking really, because if it is aimed at the casual viewer or Alien fans not concerned about lore too much then not much in the film is going to raise questions or provoke anger...except at character's stupidity. However, those who more invested in the franchise will be upset and angry. And it is completely understandable.

swarm87

swarm87

-Windebieste.

all eggs studied on lv426 came from the derelict they were in stasis for a long time, Lopes egg was fresher, so it makes sense; like how fast Burke was implanted with a fresh queen egg

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: swarm87 on May 29, 2017, 12:51:29 PM

-Windebieste.

all eggs studied on lv426 came from the derelict they were in stasis for a long time, Lopes egg was fresher, so it makes sense; like how fast Burke was implanted with a fresh queen egg

Not all eggs, the queen laid all the ones we see in Aliens.
Burke's incident is not canon, it was removed prescisely for being too fast. I again refer to Marachuk who was found in the sub section fachugged for who knows how long and had the parasite "successfully" removed before embryo implantation.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 29, 2017, 12:37:33 PM

He was referring to fact that Covenant swipes the whole "finding out why they wanted us dead " plot under the rug for more focus on the Alien origin. As for the horror tropes, that is why it is a problem, the film should not have lowered itself for the casual viewers, worse still is that the even casual viewer tires of typical horror tropes and would not want to see it. :P

I don't think the film requires much thinking really, because if it is aimed at the casual viewer or Alien fans not concerned about lore too much then not much in the film is going to raise questions or provoke anger...except at character's stupidity. However, those who more invested in the franchise will be upset and angry. And it is completely understandable.

But it contains no more tropes or stupidity than any other film in the franchise including his beloved Aliens. Personally I find Aliens to be the dumbest of the lot even if I do still enjoy it for what it is.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Perhaps but no one in Aliens detoured or stuck their head into an egg when an obviously evil/suspicious android basically told them to. Its more slasher tropes really.

Infected

Infected

I agree with Joe, there is just too much Fassbender, we got Prometheus, ok. It left us with more questions.
Now we have Covenant, wich gave us nothing but a reboot of Alien, but a little different.
Killed the magic totally with the David creator stuff, gave us zero about the engineers and their tech and culture,
and just showed us simple stuff with the stupid xeno's.
The franchise can be saved but we need to get rid of the overkill of Fassbender, and imo we need to get rid of the non scary stupid looking xenomorph, i like the deacon and all the other creations, its time for something bigger and better and more violent.
Joe is right, sorry to say this.

swarm87

swarm87

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 29, 2017, 12:59:01 PM
Quote from: swarm87 on May 29, 2017, 12:51:29 PM

-Windebieste.

Not all eggs, the queen laid all the ones we see in Aliens.
Burke's incident is not canon, it was removed prescisely for being too fast. I again refer to Marachuk who was found in the sub section fachugged for who knows how long and had the parasite "successfully" removed before embryo implantation.

ok, i misunderstood that they found him, i always assumed he was part of the team that went to investigate the ship(was never sure if the WY report was canon)

razeak

razeak

Angryjoe is a huge fan of the first film also.

Why is dressing up in a costume on a channel where he gets revenue wrong? That's a silly statement. A lot of what he does is for a little extra show for his core audience.

I mean, how many people here dress up as Colonial Marines and don't have a YouTube channel with millions of viewers? Lol.

I think he made some good points even though I really enjoyed the film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed