Interview with Dante Harper (writer) *spoilers*

Started by echobbase79, May 21, 2017, 05:54:11 PM

Author
Interview with Dante Harper (writer) *spoilers* (Read 20,778 times)

GrimmVision

GrimmVision

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 27, 2017, 04:40:43 AM
I actually never thought about 'Alien' like that. I'm not exactly convinced that those are fourth-wall breaks (although I do acknowledge your point that they *could* have re-shot those scenes and "fixed" it, and opted not to for whatever reason), but it's still a really neat point. :)

Yeah, of course I could be completely wrong and they just didn't reshoot them for whatever other reason - maybe budget or time constraints.

But, I do really like the thought of the audience being immersersed into the movie through a very subtle 4th wall break. It's not so in your face that it actually takes you out of the film and honestly, you could totally miss it.

But if you look for them, then you wonder why those two instances - that shouldn't have happened within the film's universe, happened. It's always kinda how I took those scenes, and in my opinion, the supposed 4th wall break made ALIEN as a film, even more special to me. It made me a part of it.

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

@ CoalescedChaos - Heh, I completely forgot that Jonesy would have still been curled up in Ripley's pod when that chair was bumped, before the alert goes off and wakens everyone up.  ::)

However, I'll definately still think of him as pawing that springy toy offscreen, just before Ash throws Ripley into that section of the set...and equally imagine that Jonesy then scarpered away offscreen too.  ;D

But going back to the moment where the chair is bumped and the papers rustle - I reckon that due to the way that the top of the chair is seen to slowly swivel a little, that I can just imagine it's movement (and knocking sound due to the swivel) is caused by some sort of 'blast of air-conditioning' throughout certain sections of the Nostromo, which happened to be sweeping in from the corridor section we see seconds before the camera pans into this area...rather than it being caused by the cameraman.  ;)

I'm certainly content to think of it this way, as this moment always came across as a slightly unsettling one to me when the camera panned through the sets at this point in this sequence, and I find it to be a 'happy accident' due to this.

What I think could easily have been 'fixed' however...is the continuity error of the 'suddenly appearing mug' beside the console screen that lights up.  It's not a biggie in the scheme of things, but I was a little surprised that the mug wasn't digitally erased (or alternatively, added) when Ridley was doing his 'Director's Cut', so that things matched up better between those shots. 

Maybe it was left by the cameraman just after he bumped the chair!  ;D

Either way, as BishopShouldGo suggested, these are highly unlikely to be deliberate 'fourth wall' instances, unlike David's flute-playing.

@ shawsbaby - I was curious to see if anyone thought that David playing the PROMETHEUS theme was actually a clever kind of 'self-referential' moment in the way you've described it.  I did try to see it this way when I started to give it more thought, but found that I didn't care for the notion of thinking about David's flute-playing scene beforehand, every time I wanted to give PROMETHEUS a re-watch sometime.

Personally, I was never a fan of the powerful Engineer playing a 'flute' to start up the Juggernaut in the first place...so I want to get rid of that in my own ideal version.  And the shots of David playing those notes will need to go to.  So while I respect some like yourself will be happy to look at David's scene in the way that you described, I'd rather stick to just hearing that excellent PROMETHEUS music 'reprised' in ALIEN COVENANT as part of the background soundtrack only.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed