The Creature and Special Effects of Alien: Covenant - More Behind-the-Scenes with Adam Savage

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 17, 2017, 02:19:39 PM

Author
The Creature and Special Effects of Alien: Covenant - More Behind-the-Scenes with Adam Savage (Read 22,287 times)

Corporal Hicks

Tested and Adam Savage are back with yet another behind-the-scenes video from Alien: Covenant. The latest video is focused around the special effects and the use of practical sets with an interview with Neil Corbould, Visual Effects Supervisor.

The video also features a segment about the creature effects in Alien: Covenant with interviews with Odd Studio co-founder and Creature Effects Supervisor, Adam Johansen, and Damian Martin, Creature Effects Workshop Supervisor.

“Adam Savage explores the massive built sets of Alien: Covenant and chats with visual effects supervisor Neil Corbould about the resurgence of practical effects to complement cg effectrs in blockbuster filmmaking. Adam also gets up close with some familiar Alien universe props in the creature fabrication workshop!”

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien: Covenant! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien fans on our forums!

XENOMORPHOSIS

XENOMORPHOSIS

Neat, though its a shame the majority of the xenomorph effects were cgi, perhaps they felt that the practical effects didn't hold up the way the filmmakers wanted.

Neat, though its a shame the majority of the xenomorph effects were cgi, perhaps they felt that the practical effects didn't hold up the way the filmmakers wanted.

irn

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on May 17, 2017, 04:07:46 PM

I agree.

So true.

Absolutely.

locusta

Quote from: irn on May 17, 2017, 04:17:19 PM

I agree.

So true.

Absolutely.

Yes! Yes! and YES!

Can only triple agree to that. Beside David´s workshop abominations and facehugger and eggs, there was not a single practical creature shot in my observing eye. Maybe the inner mouth attack one was a prob effect. Well, well, at least the creature creatures had a good job and did great art. I deeply hope that we get more and closer look at these in the coming books and BluRay extra disc.

darcevil

Quote from: locusta on May 17, 2017, 04:22:26 PM
Can only triple agree to that. Beside David´s workshop abominations and facehugger and eggs, there was not a single practical creature shot in my observing eye. Maybe the inner mouth attack one was a prob effect. Well, well, at least the creature creatures had a good job and did great art. I deeply hope that we get more and closer look at these in the coming books and BluRay extra disc.
Reminds me of The Thing (2011), where most of the movie was shot practical and then the bean counters inisted it be replaced with CGI. Wish I could get inside some of these execs heads to see why they inist so much on CGI when the audiences for these are just begging for practical effects.

Ultramorph

I'm still looking forward to seeing the movie, but it's a bit difficult not to be discouraged by the creeping suspicion that the movie was dramatically reworked in the 11th hour. Hopefully they at least commit to the story they set up in this film.

Vertigo

Vertigo

I don't think heavy CG painting onto a practical entity works well. It allows more interactivity than straight CG and more freedom for embellishment than practical alone, but it usually still retains CGI's uncanny valley.

Jurassic World used CG painting for its raptors too, and you just wouldn't know you're looking at a practical effect. Kind of the opposite result to what you want to achieve - making a real object look fake.

Jenga

irn

Quote from: darcevil on May 17, 2017, 06:28:47 PM
Reminds me of The Thing (2011), where most of the movie was shot practical and then the bean counters inisted it be replaced with CGI. Wish I could get inside some of these execs heads to see why they inist so much on CGI when the audiences for these are just begging for practical effects.

That was criminal what happened with the practical effects in The Thing (2011). Whoever made that decision should be kicked out the industry.

Alien³

Quote from: Vertigo on May 17, 2017, 06:33:42 PM
Jurassic World used CG painting for its raptors too, and you just wouldn't know you're looking at a practical effect. Kind of the opposite result to what you want to achieve - making a real object look fake.

Damn you're right, they should have kept the practical effects in JW!

Vertigo

I mean the scene in which they're in their harnesses.  ::)

Alien³

Alien³

Err... ::)

Vertigo

Alien³

Thats a lighting/colour maquette. As far as I know it wasn't used on set. 

OmarVel1692

Actually I could catch more practical effects scenes in the movie: the head during the shower attack, the tail hiding again after touching the girl in the shower was totally practical, the scene were the xeno entered the zone of the las fight with daniels...that alien just walking was practical too and it looked creepy as f**k in that very human way to move (then it started to be in all four again xD), the dead neomorph was practical too, and obviously shaw

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed