Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers*

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 17, 2017, 10:11:32 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers* (Read 389,417 times)

GreybackElder

I thought Alien Covenant was a visually beautiful film. The protomorph xeno looked better than ever! It was definitely entertaining and a decent alien flick. I just wasn't a fan of David creating the xeno. I know in the book he copied a recipe or something along those lines.  I think I just have trouble with the origin of the xeno as a byproduct of an Android or another alien race. I'd prefer it being a an Ancient horror from the darkest regions of space. Not some recent creation.

Mr. Clemens

I like Covenant, and I've watched it repeatedly since its release on blu-ray, but... man. The other night I watched Prometheus again (last time I watched it was right before going to see Covenant), and holy moly: that movie just has so much more passion and excitement for the material. It's practically oozing with pure enthusiasm. Coming back to Covenant after seeing that again, Covenant kind of feels like some sort of freeze-dried (just add water!) Instant Alien Movie. I still like it, but compared to Prometheus, it feels kind of phoned-in to me.

Whiskeybrewer

Love them. Take it that is Rosenthal's head?

Corporal Hicks

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Dec 30, 2017, 10:21:42 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 30, 2017, 08:03:05 PM
I liked the idea that the Jockey was just a creature specifically bred/created for the purposes of navigating. And there's other specifically engineered creatures in other areas of the ship doing other tasks or etc.

Remember when it was believed that the giant head in Prometheus was flying the ship? THAT's the kinda weird I want outta these movies!  ;D

Speaking of weird sci-fi  ;D

La Planète Sauvage

"On a faraway planet where blue giants rule, oppressed humanoids rebel against their machine-like leaders."  

Whiskeybrewer

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Jan 03, 2018, 08:21:52 PM
I liked the idea that the Jockey was just a creature specifically bred/created for the purposes of navigating. And there's other specifically engineered creatures in other areas of the ship doing other tasks or etc.

Remember when it was believed that the giant head in Prometheus was flying the ship? THAT's the kinda weird I want outta these movies!  ;D

La Planète Sauvage

"On a faraway planet where blue giants rule, oppressed humanoids rebel against their machine-like leaders."  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkIAkDsiUoo

I used to see that one at the video store for years, but never gave it a go. Any good?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jan 04, 2018, 12:40:14 PM

La Planète Sauvage

I used to see that one at the video store for years, but never gave it a go. Any good?

Well, the artistic style is fantastic. The psychedelic music and the surreal setting brings a truly alien atmosphere to the film. Definitely worth watching. And although the plot is simple, there are interesting things related to the culture of the civilizations that inhabit the bizarre planet: from the strange way of feeding and meditation of the "Draags" (a Zen style civilization of giant blue humanoids) to the hypnotic sexual rituals of the "Oms" (humans brought from Earth, some of them are considered pets while others roam loose like wild animals).

Now back to the plot, the overal story is about a human pet who escapes into the wilderness with headphones that transmit knowledge. A technological device that becomes the key to forge a new and equal relationship between the Oms and the Draags.

So basically similar to a "Native American vs European" scenario. It's actually reminds me of the historic episode (during the colonization and conquest of South America, in Chile) about Lautaro, an araucanian militar lider who after being slave and servant of the Spaniards managed to escape and return to his people. Lautaro learned the military ways and skills of the Spaniards' army by observation, and he proceeded to educate his people with this knowledge to fight them back.

Even the myth of Prometheus seems like an archetype of this story, with this heroic figure stealing a powerful artifact in order to benefit the human race.

There also seems to be an ecological-environmental message, showing how the humans are being treated in the same cruel manner with which they themselves treat animals on Earth. Maybe even a message of peace and freedom as a reaction to the communist dictatorship (the greater part of the production team was Czechoslovakian).

Pluss, the alien creatures (including plants) are amazing. Almost like something designed by Wayne Barlowe:

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Jan 05, 2018, 03:19:41 AM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jan 04, 2018, 12:40:14 PM

La Planète Sauvage

Well, the artistic style is fantastic. The psychedelic music and the surreal setting brings a truly alien atmosphere to the film. Definitely worth watching. And although the plot is simple, there are interesting things related to the culture of the civilizations that inhabit the bizarre planet: from the strange way of feeding and meditation of the "Draags" (a Zen style civilization of giant blue humanoids) to the hypnotic sexual rituals of the "Oms" (humans brought from Earth, some of them are considered pets while others roam loose like wild animals).

Now back to the plot, the overal story is about a human pet who escapes into the wilderness with headphones that transmit knowledge. A technological device that becomes the key to forge a new and equal relationship between the Oms and the Draags.

So basically similar to a "Native American vs European" scenario. It's actually reminds me of the historic episode (during the colonization and conquest of South America, in Chile) about Lautaro, an araucanian militar lider who after being slave and servant of the Spaniards managed to escape and return to his people. Lautaro learned the military ways and skills of the Spaniards' army by observation, and he proceeded to educate his people with this knowledge to fight them back.

Even the myth of Prometheus seems like an archetype of this story, with this heroic figure stealing a powerful artifact in order to benefit the human race.

There also seems to be an ecological-environmental message, showing how the humans are being treated in the same cruel manner with which they themselves treat animals on Earth. Maybe even a message of peace and freedom as a reaction to the communist dictatorship (the greater part of the production team was Czechoslovakian).

Pluss, the alien creatures (including plants) are amazing. Almost like something designed by Wayne Barlowe:

Thank you for the rundown! I will definitely give it a look next opportunity.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed