Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers*

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 17, 2017, 10:11:32 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Concept Art/Behind-the-Scenes Thread *spoilers* (Read 389,342 times)

Ian Tompkins

Great work....can't say I like the subject... but amazing graphics once again. Well done son.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Dane and Matt have continued to share more artwork. Keep checking out their accounts!

Dane just shared this one earlier - https://www.facebook.com/hallett.dane/photos/ms.c.eJwFwYENADAIArCPFhAE~;79sLX0M6txupDz6xqpnaQD9cjQGrA~-~-.bps.a.1443279082389175.1073741840.801247429925680/1482437425140007/?type=3&theater

QuoteAnother one I loved doing, anatomy of a Neomorph split open for a profile view.
This one is pretty special to me because Adam Johansen (Creature HOD) took the illustration as an inspiration to sculpt and create an utterly incredible piece that sat in the lab, far more resolved and beautiful than I could've conceived. Probably the coolest thing in that space. Sorry for the love in, but... Damn, it was awesome!

Couple more costume designs from Andrei Riabovitchev - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lnKJa

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LVEDP - Colin has just posted some Meet Walter concepts too.

Colin has uploaded a new article with Engineer concepts. Including this lady -

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/34eEE

Whos_Nick

When I participated in the December test screening, when David smuggles the embryos on the Covenant, they originally looked like this rather than mini facehuggers.

MattFiler

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Jun 28, 2017, 04:28:08 PM
When I participated in the December test screening, when David smuggles the embryos on the Covenant, they originally looked like this rather than mini facehuggers.

That's interesting, I did find the decision to use facehuggers in the final edit a bit strange.

acrediblesource

Whoever decided the cocoon material idea should be cut was a complete idiot. I think fans are waiting for things like that only not to get it every time there is a new movie.  Something visually disturbing that doesn't have to be gore.
man....the day we get a great alien movie is the day they a new franchise of something else.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I dunno, acrediblesource. I think the sight of Alien's jizzing cocoon material all over everyone might be a bit too comical.

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Jun 28, 2017, 04:28:08 PM

Thanks for sharing, Nick!

Hughughug

All this awesome concept art and they couldn't bother to put it in the Artbook.

skhellter

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 28, 2017, 09:08:35 PM
I dunno, acrediblesource. I think the sight of Alien's jizzing cocoon material all over everyone might be a bit too comical.

I was leaning towards the "it would've been unintentionally funny" angle...
and then i remembered that there's a moment in
It Follows where the lead character glimpses the "creature" forcing itself upon the corpse of a friend.
And it's horrifying and uncomfortable...

There's also a similarly uncomfortable scene in Possession (starring Sam Neill).

Bottom line - The effectiveness of the "cocoon" idea depends on the writing, filmmaking, etc...
But i actually think it could be used "well"... there IS precedent.

I wouldnt trust Ridley with it, though.
Maybe David Robert Mitchell.

Rabbit2100

Does anyone know if there's any final rendering shots of the new xeno chest? The maddam tussauds video has a beautiful sculpt of it but not all that great of a view of the thing

bobby brown

These are great. Especially the Neomorph. LOVE those human looking jaws.I Like them a lot better than the ones on the final design. Speaking about, I wish we would be show some of the actual final designs...

Rabbit2100

This is the ONLY shot i can get from the madam tussauds video, and imo it looks way better than the practical suit. Its a shame that odd creatures didn't get the finalized design

AlienFanIL17

The facehugger and alien embryos are awesome looking!!!  If those were made into paperweights or something along those lines, I would buy those in a second.

Corporal Hicks

Couple of bts stills from Instagram -

I've also been keeping the concept art gallery up to date so keep checking that out! http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/index.php?cat=47

Jenga

There is some interesting, some good, some disappointing and some intriguing work here. My question is: Why isn't Ridley commissioning any practical (read: in clay) design work? The realism is never as strong in real-world pieces because it's not usually painted or lit etc, but more often than not, the design work is stronger. These recent movies have been suffering somewhat in terms of strong design when compared to the original.

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed