Alien: Covenant's Practical Alien Suit on The Late Late Show!

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 17, 2017, 08:30:27 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant's Practical Alien Suit on The Late Late Show! (Read 12,736 times)

Corporal Hicks

With the American release of Alien: Covenant just days away, some of the cast of the film have been working hard on the press rounds, appearing on various American talk shows. One such show was The Late Late Show with James Corden.

In addition to Billy Crudup, the Alien made an appearance! Clips haven’t appeared online yet but judging from some GIFs shared by The Late Late Show’s Twitter account, they did a short sketch featuring the Alien.

20th Century Fox shared a behind-the-scenes still from episode, giving us a nice look at one of the practical Alien suits constructed by Odd Studio and Creatures Inc. Ltd for Alien: Covenant!

This is one of several practical suits made by Odd Studio and Creatures Inc. Ltd and was sent over for use on the show. The performer inside the suit for the sketch wasn’t one of the creature performers who worked on Alien: Covenant, nor was anyone from Odd Studio or Creatures Inc. Ltd on hand to assemble the suit on The Late Late Show.

Michael Fassbender will also be appearing on next episode of The Late Late Show. Keep checking back in on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien: Covenant! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien fans on our forums!

Update #1 17/05/2017 – The sketch is now available via the The Late Late Show with James Corden YouTube account.

Rudiger

In some alternate universe somewhere, James Corden is getting face hugged. That simple thought makes me happy. We're sorry to inflict the odious little toad on you America, but you really shouldn't have sent us back Piers Morgan. You were kinda asking for it.

Kimo

Thank the Lord America has taking in James Corden. Please don't ever return him.

brokentusk420

That suit looks horrible!!!! The the hell is up with the neck?! I know his head is in there but Big Chap didn't look this bad.

Corporal Hicks

The sketch is now online.

locusta

So, what did Scott say about putting an orange in its mouth and it was cooked?????  Same here. Just even more a laughing stock.

MrRipley

All I say is the USA can keep Corden.

zoidy

It's to do with scale, that suit is clearly for a regular 6 foot man to wear, but if you check the original big chap suit it's designed for the extremely tall actor, and everything is much much larger. The actor's head in the original was hidden inside the much larger alien head. The original lower jaw is larger than James Cordon's head, but the suit in Cordon's show has a head/jaw smaller than Cordon's.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/a8/a3/cc/a8a3ccff1e4844d0958f72fb7fbaddfc.jpg

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

It looks as though those protruding shoulder bits were removed for the CG version.

I don't have any problem with this segment, it's just a comedy bit and similar things were done with the AVP suits. Color is interesting, almost a grey-brown, but not too close to the browns of Alien³ and Resurrection.

Would love to see you take on the design, locusta.

locusta

Well, let´s see ;)

But looking the comedy video, shows actually that the shoulder tube is another pair of dorsal or back tubes bend over the shoulders forward.

whiterabbit

Quote from: locusta on May 17, 2017, 12:30:18 PM
Well, let´s see ;)

But looking the comedy video, shows actually that the shoulder tube is another pair of dorsal or back tubes bend over the shoulders forward.
Guess everyone thought that was how it worked. Really wish they went with more of an elegant alien than a bitch-alien. I know it's a comedic sketch on a late late show but it was kinda of lame if fox was trying to showcase the critter.

Xenomorphine

I notice they removed the tail for this...

Biggles

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 17, 2017, 11:29:31 AM
It looks as though those protruding shoulder bits were removed for the CG version.

I don't have any problem with this segment, it's just a comedy bit and similar things were done with the AVP suits. Color is interesting, almost a grey-brown, but not too close to the browns of Alien³ and Resurrection.

Would love to see you take on the design, locusta.

I don't think they were assembled correctly on the practical suit in this case. They are there on the CG model, just 'strapped down'.

Totally agreed on Locusta, except that, if the art director chappy was telling the truth, we haven't quite got to Big Chap yet. If this is true, and we get to see his 'species' prior to the original movie timeline, they really should use Locusta's version of Giger's design.

Xenoscream

Thanks for taking him off our hands America.

Ulfer

The sketch has the same problem that shorts of this kind nowadays, it just seems to be a lazy continuation of the initial idea (my girlfriend is an alien), without originality. It's kind of sad.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed