The Book of Alien: Augmented Reality Survival Manual

Started by Perfect-Organism, May 16, 2017, 10:25:37 AM

Author
The Book of Alien: Augmented Reality Survival Manual (Read 16,978 times)

Corporal Hicks

Xenomrph

Just got my copy in the mail today. I haven't had much time to mess with it (let alone mess with the AR functionality) but it looks pretty neat. I suspect I'm going to have similar "presentation" problems that I had with the WY Report, but like with that book, I get why they did it the way they did.
Just from a cursory glance I did catch what appear to be a couple errors already, but that's okay.

Xenomrph

The more I read though this, the more it makes me sit up and pay attention to the little details - partly for what it gets wrong, but partly for the interesting tidbits it throws in.

An interesting revelation is that despite straight up citing the USCM Tech Manual's history and formation of the USCM, it claims that the modern USCM as we know it is "owned" by Weyland-Yutani. It doesn't make it clear if this is a new development or when it happened, or if the USCM has always been that way (the CMTM doesn't give such an indication), but it kind of recontextualizes 'Aliens' a little bit if the WY ownership dates all the way back to 2179 or before. At first I thought the author was ignorant of the CMTM's history of the Corps, but then he explicitly referenced it so I was caught a little off-guard. The USCM falling under the control of WY over time doesn't seem that outlandish; military structures change, and we're talking about a span of centuries.

The WY blurb also mentions that WY engages in prison-based racing circuits - I certainly wasn't expecting to see a reference to Paul WS Anderson's 'Death Race' in this book.

Caught a "2178" typo fairly early in the book, which was kind of goofy since the very next page got the year correct twice in the same sentence. I'm getting the feeling this book could have really used a better editor and layout planner - in terms of content and audience it feels like a companion piece to the WY Report, almost as if it's the same book but written from the USCM's perspective. I think with better planning and execution, both books could have been really interesting companion books for one another - one about ways to exploit and harness the Alien, and another book about how to exterminate them.

I'm going to keep going through it, I'll pick out other interesting tidbits as I find them.

Oh another goofy consistent error I'm seeing is the book claims David's bestiary/experiment sketches were done in 2089 when David was onboard the Prometheus.

Xenomrph

First page of the Nostromo ('Alien') chapter goofs up the year it took place, but the very next page gets it right in the first sentence. Whoops!

The MU/TH/UR page has some interesting tidbits - it claims that Dr. Wren onboard the Auriga was a WY employee. I mean I guess it's possible, but the "bought out by Wal-Mart" line and the general disdain for which 'Alien Resurrection' referred to Ripley's "former employer" makes it unlikely.

Also the very end of the page has a reference to the 'Predator: Concrete Jungle' videogame, which I wasn't expecting.

Ultramorph

What's the Concrete Jungle reference? That's out of left field.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Ultramorph on Nov 25, 2017, 12:31:26 AM
What's the Concrete Jungle reference? That's out of left field.
It mentions that the earliest precursors to MU/TH/UR from earlier in the 21st century were reportedly based around an organic core.

I mean this is a book that straight-up references the 'Death Race' remake for some reason, so I guess anything is on the table. :P

I almost forgot, the page about the Pulse Rifle uses the one from 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' as the baseline, but does point out the variant used in 'Aliens', and mentions the variant from the AvP2010 video game as well. That said, it references one of the variants mentioned in the CMTM (the M41E) but gets the details about it wrong.

Also, the article about Alien eggs references egg-morphing as a potential source for eggs. Always nice to see that referenced in officially-licensed stuff.

Like I said, it's this kind of stuff that's had me actually paying attention to the book (and surprisingly getting a lot more out of it). The content is so inconsistent but not necessarily in an off-putting way; it keeps me engaged just to see what it's going to get right or wrong, and what sort random stuff it's going to reference.

Ultramorph

I might actually have to pick this book up at some point.

Xenomrph

Just got to a page about eggs and it has a still image of Kane leaning over the open egg, with the caption "THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS, DO NOT DO IT", it's pretty f**king funny.

On that same page, it offhandedly tosses out the idea that there might be multiple evolutionary "stages" to the Alien egg based on its age, that older eggs manifest more advanced and elaborate methods of providing nourishment for the facehugger inside.

There's also a page with quotes from 'Alien'  - that page manages to get the movie's year wrong, and then repeat Ash's "perfect organism" quote twice in a row. :P
This book really would have benefited from an editor, seriously.

Corporal Hicks

Yeah, my main issues with the book where with editorial decisions too. Nicely picked up on the Concrete Jungle and Death Race things, btw! I completely missed those.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Nov 25, 2017, 12:56:55 AMIt mentions that the earliest precursors to MU/TH/UR from earlier in the 21st century were reportedly based around an organic core.

Hah! Nice. I mean, that was obviously what they were going for in the game, so it's nice to see something else pick up on it all these years later.

Xenomrph

I've made a bit more headway on the book, here's my latest thoughts and findings.

The chestburster page calls attention to not all chestbursters being the same - some have forelimbs while others don't, and some are born with limbs fully formed, which seems to be talking about at least 'Alien3', if not 'Alien: Covenant'. It's kind of neat to see a book acknowledge this, as not many books do.

After that is the augmented reality stuff. I happen to think AR as a concept is pretty neat, and while my only "screen" is an iPhone (which sort of limits the impact versus, say, a tablet), the AR in the book is pretty well executed. I think I had the most fun with the weapon simulators. Worth noting that the AR image you scan is of a pulse rifle from 'Aliens: Colonial Marines', although the AR weapon you interact with is a movie pulse rifle. Another weapon you can mess with is the M5 RPG Launcher, an 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' weapon (although it is mentioned in the Colonial Marines Tech Manual as well).
A close second is probably the facehugger dissection, that was pretty well done, too. The Alien Queen AR was pretty neat, it gives you the ability to scale the AR Queen up to "life size". I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it is pretty damn huge.

On the page immediately following the AR stuff, there's another of David's bestiary drawings from Covenant. The caption reads: "After collecting samples of alien specimens for research and data, 'David', a synthetic onboard the USCSS Prometheus in 2089 recorded his notes and sketches."
The book is really committed to the idea that David made these sketches onboard the Prometheus, prior to the bulk of the movie's events (in 2093). :P

The first page of the Sulaco ('Aliens') chapter dates the film as having taken place in 2122. Whoops!
Also, the chapter repeatedly refers to the Sulaco as the "USCSS Sulaco" as opposed to the "USS Sulaco"; I mean, it's not like it was written on the side of the ship or anything. The chapter gets the name right once, otherwise it screws it up every time.
The first page of the chapter has a really weirdly-worded recap of the events of 'Aliens' - it brings up the Marines' intention to get airlifted back to the Sulaco and nuke the site from orbit, but the way it's worded, it's as if the Marines actually did that. Only halfway through the subsequent paragraph does the recap get back on track and describe the events of the film following the Dropship crash. Like, it's really bizarrely worded and more than a little confusing. The page does call attention to Ripley and co's "inadequate" sweep for surviving Alien threats prior to going back into hypersleep, though.
Worth noting is one of the image captions on the next page: for an image of the Sulaco's hypersleep pods, the caption reads, "Crew's travel to LV-426 was disturbed during hypersleep in capsules." I genuinely don't know what this is referring to. ???

The next two pages are about "key personnel", and this is where shit starts getting really crazy. It mis-spells Bishop's name as, I shit you not, "Úbishopi". I think someone forgot to do a little proofreading. And that's the least crazy thing in this section. The characters who get little paragraphs are Ripley, Newt, Hicks, Burke, Hudson, Vasquez, Bishop, and... Weirzbowski, of all people (but we'll get to him in a second). No other characters get mentioned.
Hicks' section gets a direct callout to the events of 'Aliens: Colonial Marines', referencing the USS Sephora and USS Legato by name and claiming that he may have survived the events of the movie 'Aliens', although this is "unconfirmed".
Weirzbowski's section also claims he may have survived the events of 'Aliens', stating that "uncorroborated reports suggest a subsequent career running covert black-ops for Weyland Yutani".

The next page is about the Sulaco, and funnily enough it features a screen capture from 'Aliens' where you can see the name of the ship on its side, and also cites a bunch of technical specs from the USCM Tech Manual, but then still calls it the "USCSS Sulaco" anyway. :P
Most interesting thing on this page is a paragraph about the Sulaco's fate - it says reports of its demise are "contradictory", and gives a reference to the 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' version of events where it was destroyed after being damaged by the USS Sephora's explosion, but then also offers an alternate fate where the Sulaco was overrun by Aliens and lost somewhere between LV-426 and Foirina 161, a reference to the 'Aliens: Infestation' game for the Nintendo DS.

Like I said before, this is a weird f**kin' book.
The pervasiveness of references to 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' makes me wonder if this book originally started as some kind of tie-in to that game, but that the project stalled out and got delayed so much that its only just now getting published, and had some late-stage changes made to include 'Alien: Covenant' content. Even the bit about Weirzbowski's survival is a reference to one of the early plot ideas for A:CM if I remember right, before it was changed to Hicks.

After I finish reading it, I'm genuinely interested in contacting the book's author and picking their brain about the book. Like, the (lack of) editing and the sheer number of references to ancillary stuff like Concrete Jungle and Infestation make it feel like an unofficial fan book, but the overall production values of the visuals and presentation are more in line with an official publication - not to mention the 20th Century Fox copyright notice in the book's front matter.

Wweyland

Sounds like its weird enough that I will buy it.
It's unfortunate about the wrong names and dates.
Maybe under Disney they will have tighter quality control or some kind of "Story group" like in Star Wars.

SiL

They already have bibles. Doesn't make them immune to mistakes.

And Star Wars was pretty tight on its EU long before Disney got there. I don't think Disney gives half a crap, that's a Lucas thing.

Xenomrph

Lucas didn't really care about the EU insofar as it would make him more money, he willingly contradicted it via the prequel movies at the drop of a hat.

Allegedly there's a pretty well-formed "story group" in place for the Disney-era Star Wars "canon", and based on some of the canon-heavy youtube channels I follow that religiously scour the new material, it seems to be pretty tightly-knit (so far).

SM

Quote from: SiL on Jan 21, 2018, 01:06:17 PM
They already have bibles. Doesn't make them immune to mistakes.

And Star Wars was pretty tight on its EU long before Disney got there. I don't think Disney gives half a crap, that's a Lucas thing.

The prequels created myriad continuity problems with pre-existing EU material - but they had people whose job it was to address them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed