PROMETHEUS: Workprint Edition 2017

Started by GrimmVision, May 16, 2017, 09:06:24 AM

Author
PROMETHEUS: Workprint Edition 2017 (Read 69,653 times)

jimmydelaroja

I like that idea too. Anyway I'll try to correct the hair issue and may be I have it ready when covenant bluray comes out.

Hope the blu ray includes a lot of deleted scenes.

Protozoid

Thanks for sharing! It was really cool to see Prometheus with new footage. It was almost a fresh experience, again.

It also made me ponder what restorations I would make.

Personally, I only would have added the following:

• Janek's Christmas talk
• Milburn finding the flatworm
• Janek's and Vickers' conversation about "pushing the button"
• Extended scene where the Engineer plays with the chandelier, finds Shaw behind the counter, and she uses the axe on the Engineer before unleashing the Trilobite

Those are the only deletions that I think about genuinely enhance the movie without upsetting the pacing too much. My main quibble with the Workprint is that it's very long.

The Our First Alien scene makes Milburn much more sympathetic, and provides a necessary shared moment of wonder before the horror begins.

Janek and the narrative really need the "pushing the button" scene to be restored - badly. This was the most harmful cut to the movie's narrative. Without it, Janek does not have an intrinsic motivation to sacrifice himself. It also explains, eloquently, how past experiences "program" the characters to interpret events a certain way. Janek's extended dialogue about Christmas with Vickers further strengthens their characters, making them more sympathetic, and developing their relationship slightly more before they hook up.

The axe fight is the second-most harmful cut they made, overall. It is not only incoherent in the theatrical version, but it robs the movie of a movie satisfactory climax. It also gives up more of the Engineer, rounding his character more by showing his curiosity before he unleashes his wrath. In the theatrical version, the Engineer comes across as more of a murderous brute. This scene really adds a lot of dimension to him without forcing him to speak.

I firmly believe that Scalia harmed the movie's narrative a great deal in order to make it pacier. It only needed to be a few minutes longer to be substantially more coherent and satisfying. Being 10-15 minutes longer would not have harmed the box office.

Alien³

Alien³

Agreed.

Also Janek questioning who else is on board when Vickers asks David, "Is he awake?"
The Ted talk, Mars transmission, and the Probes being sent to planet.

All great additions.

And for the love of all things Prommy start the Vickers confronting Weyland scene after the doors close so we don't see the 2 disappearing guards. If someone is planning another edit this is a must. It won't 100% fix the number of guards left after the Fiefield attack (unless someone CGIs over the guard in Weyland's room, when David is washing his feet).

Local Trouble

Is it superior to the theatrical version?

Elmazalman

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 20, 2017, 05:50:56 PM
Is it superior to the theatrical version?
I prefer this fan edit to the theatrical cut.

bleau

bleau

Hello all. Just wanted to come here specifically to thank CoalescedChaos for putting this up and also jimmydelaroja for your wonderful work on the edits. I actually prefer these fan edits then the theatrical version. So far I find CoalescedChaos edit to be the most complete. I feel the Ted Talk and quiet Eye fit nicely and really add a lot more to the plot. Everything was great and edited good. I do however miss the beginning elder Engineer speech and the final speech from the last Engineer.  One other change I would do is at 1.50.50 Instead of the shot of Vickers opening the door, I would have a sec of her walking up. Because if you watch David is tightening something on Weyland's suit and then it clicks, light on suit comes on, but then next shot is Doors opening and Vicker's is there. It almost seems like David caused the door to open when his tool clicks or goes down. It kind of needs a sec more from door opening imo. Nothing big, doesn't bother my enjoyment of your edit, just an observation.

Anywho I'm sure all of you know this already but the actual work print was 150 mins roughly. The editor got trims and stuff out and got it down to 135. then another 15-19 mins of actual scenes cut out bringing it down to under 2 hours. It had to be at that run time per Fox's order. The scenes cut out are the deleted scenes we have. The first wave of cuts was some stuff we've seen in trailers and behind the scenes, promotional videos. The 150 min work print is something I would like to work on and put together sometime in the near future, for my own personal fan edit. CoalescedChaos'S Edit is pretty close to the actual workprint. About 10 mins of small trims here and there are missing. No big scenes or nothing, just one and three sec trims throughout. Just thought I'd share some of that with y'all.

BTY, I'm a huge Prometheus fan, only for the extended edits. It's probably in my top all time 3 faves and I view it as the best in the series. :)
I also have a feeling we will be getting a directors cut or extended cut officially soon. Either soon or when prequel series wraps, guaranteed. Cheers :)

Protozoid

Quote from: bleau on Jun 23, 2017, 05:57:44 AM
One other change I would do is at 1.50.50 Instead of the shot of Vickers opening the door, I would have a sec of her walking up. Because if you watch David is tightening something on Weyland's suit and then it clicks, light on suit comes on, but then next shot is Doors opening and Vicker's is there. It almost seems like David caused the door to open when his tool clicks or goes down. It kind of needs a sec more from door opening imo. Nothing big, doesn't bother my enjoyment of your edit, just an observation.
Have you watched the making of documentary on the Blu-Ray? They show Ridley Scott commenting to his editor on this scene. Scott's comment is about that very cut. He says something to the effect of, "I like that. It makes it look like David caused the door to open."

bleau

bleau

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 25, 2017, 08:24:20 AM
Quote from: bleau on Jun 23, 2017, 05:57:44 AM
One other change I would do is at 1.50.50 Instead of the shot of Vickers opening the door, I would have a sec of her walking up. Because if you watch David is tightening something on Weyland's suit and then it clicks, light on suit comes on, but then next shot is Doors opening and Vicker's is there. It almost seems like David caused the door to open when his tool clicks or goes down. It kind of needs a sec more from door opening imo. Nothing big, doesn't bother my enjoyment of your edit, just an observation.
Have you watched the making of documentary on the Blu-Ray? They show Ridley Scott commenting to his editor on this scene. Scott's comment is about that very cut. He says something to the effect of, "I like that. It makes it look like David caused the door to open."

I've watched doc a few times now and it's a lot of fun to watch. some of the segments were better then others. My favorite would be the sets, and the ship.
But yeah it was nice seeing Ridley go threw everything on such detail, I always though that particular scene with David was edited kind of odd, but I guess it is kind of neat.. I also liked how they did the dinner scene. They had molecular gastronomy food, had cast come in and literally eat and try this stuff. Then Ridley started filming them eating  and socializing.

Corporal Aeylan

Corporal Aeylan

Thank you for the relink! I am an avid Alien fan but I hadn't seen any fan edits.

I saw the fan edit "alternative edit extended cut" and it was really amazing... I'm trying to find a 1080p version of it... It says the author was Max Shreck lol.

I watched agent 9 and it was definitely not my flavor. It paid homage to the original, but it didn't fit the scenes.

I'm looking forward to watching this tonight! This might be my go to... I definitely like the length on this one!

-- 8/5/17 Update
Dude this version is the end all be all version in my opinion. This one really flows well.

The length really does work with this movie. It makes it on my top 3 all time Alien movies now as well. The ending was ruined in the original. The tension that built up through the entire movie was wasted. My wife commented that it was because they weren't allowed to show Shaw being attacked by a man. LOL. They almost ruined the movie if not for this workprint.

Please let me know if you're working on a Covenant workprint!

neiltracy00

Can this be downloaded, there is a download button, but get a cannot download file ?? would love to have this on my drive, love the film

Whiskeybrewer

and whats the size of the file currently?

pmaz11

pmaz11

VERY nicely done on this extended cut of the Prometheus film! I love seeing all of the extra/deleted footage that wasn't shown in a good sync with the rest of the film. It helps make the movie MUCH better in my opinion (I would have maybe kept some of the Engineer speaking scene though). But I see why you didn't ;)

If you ever consider doing an Alien: Covenant Workprint Edition you'd be shown much appreciation! It'd be great to see all of the deleted scenes/shots thrown in. Especially the Prologue, Crossing the Plaza & Alien jumping down the corridor scenes, etc.

Hekutoru

Could somebody please make a small rip of this praised fanedit? Thank you!

Olde

Olde

What is a "small rip"?

Hekutoru

Hekutoru

Quote from: Olde on Sep 23, 2017, 07:18:49 AM
What is a "small rip"?
A smaller alternative to the original 16GB file.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed