Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 273,269 times)

Denton Smalls

At this point I'd like for Ridley to get a chance to finish his prequel trilogy, but no more after that.

LastSurvivor92

Yeah, Ridley just do one more and be done. I don't think we need more than 3 prequel films. His idea of having like 4 to 6 is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Ridley really needs to start thinking about who will helm these films after him. One big thing he needs to understand is that it's not "His" franchise. You could basically say that for James Cameron, David Fincher, hell even Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

Anyone else ready for a new director/fresh vision after Ridley's 3rd film??

426Buddy

426Buddy

I definitly think Riddles prequels should be a trilogy. I enjoyed AC but i think one more and done is the way to go.

shawsbaby

Quote from: Chronicle on Jun 10, 2017, 01:34:54 PM
Yeah, Ridley just do one more and be done. I don't think we need more than 3 prequel films. His idea of having like 4 to 6 is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Ridley really needs to start thinking about who will helm these films after him. One big thing he needs to understand is that it's not "His" franchise. You could basically say that for James Cameron, David Fincher, hell even Jean-Pierre Jeunet.

Anyone else ready for a new director/fresh vision after Ridley's 3rd film??

Yeah, he's lucky if he gets one more film. I think he and Fox execs will have a hard conversation about this, he'll get even less of a budget for the final one, and they will bring in a half dozen more screenwriters to retool whatever script they have right now to make it lead right into Alien. I have a sense they will actually use quite a lot of Spaihts' original Alien: Engineers script to accomplish that.

Salt The Fries

If that Spaihts guy was so good, and you guys keep referencing him all the time, why didn't they utilize his works more?

0321recon

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Jun 10, 2017, 04:43:50 PM
If that Spaihts guy was so good, and you guys keep referencing him all the time, why didn't they utilize his works more?

Good point. Plus, Collider asked Lindelof about the direction after Covenant instead of Spaihts, and that's even with Lindelof not being involved with the project. 

900SL

Quote from: shawsbaby on Jun 10, 2017, 04:26:19 PM

Yeah, he's lucky if he gets one more film. I think he and Fox execs will have a hard conversation about this, he'll get even less of a budget for the final one, and they will bring in a half dozen more screenwriters to retool whatever script they have right now to make it lead right into Alien. I have a sense they will actually use quite a lot of Spaihts' original Alien: Engineers script to accomplish that.

I'd like to know the backstory. Who made the changes?

I'm pretty certain Ridley was hogtied by the studio into grafting in the Alien bollocks. It's a typical dumbass production move. 'More Aliens!'

0321recon

Quote from: 900SL on Jun 10, 2017, 05:51:24 PM
Quote from: shawsbaby on Jun 10, 2017, 04:26:19 PM

I'd like to know the backstory. Who made the changes?

I'm pretty certain Ridley was hogtied by the studio into grafting in the Alien bollocks. It's a typical dumbass production move. 'More Aliens!'

Perhaps, Scott went through an Alien3 type of treatment by Fox.

Ingwar

QuoteFox's Alien: Covenant earned another $475,000 yesterday (-59%) on just 1,814 screens for a likely $1.6m (-61%) fourth weekend and $70.7m 24-day total. It's doing okay overseas ($176m thus far) and it has China on tap for next weekend, but this is still a big disappointment for all involved. In terms of domestic tickets sold, it's the second-worst of the series behind Alien vs. Predator: Requiem.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/06/10/friday-box-office-baywatch-drops-50-alien-continues-to-crash/#63d44a671280

Protozoid

Quote from: Ingwar on Jun 10, 2017, 06:13:32 PM
QuoteFox's Alien: Covenant earned another $475,000 yesterday (-59%) on just 1,814 screens for a likely $1.6m (-61%) fourth weekend and $70.7m 24-day total. It's doing okay overseas ($176m thus far) and it has China on tap for next weekend, but this is still a big disappointment for all involved. In terms of domestic tickets sold, it's the second-worst of the series behind Alien vs. Predator: Requiem.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/06/10/friday-box-office-baywatch-drops-50-alien-continues-to-crash/#63d44a671280
The $176m figure they give for overseas is actually the world wide total, including domestic, according to Box Office Mojo. The actual overseas number as of yesterday was $107m. Domestic looks like it will top out nearly $20 million short of the production budget, which cannot be a good thing by any metric.

acrediblesource

If his idea of Alien movies now are showing less of a forbodding world and more of a complex structure of androids, genetic variations of our creature, and willy nilly baby girls romping about trying to shoot things, then count me out.
Aliens universe now merging with Star Wars.

shawsbaby

After this weekend, it's at $71.2 million domestic, $107.5 international, so around $178.7 total. Hopefully China gives it a nice boost.

Protozoid

I don't think its possible for the Chinese market to make up for the money they lost domestically. This movie might stay in the red forever. It won't make enough money to shift its overall ranking in the franchise, either. I'm surprised nobody has called it a flop, given that it will end up with roughly half of Prometheus's gross and Fox will almost certainly lose millions. Some people consider Prometheus a bomb. What does that make Covenant? Clearly people are being nice about this result when its actually rather disastrous.

shawsbaby

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 11, 2017, 05:53:11 PM
I don't think its possible for the Chinese market to make up for the money they lost domestically. This movie might stay in the red forever. It won't make enough money to shift its overall ranking in the franchise, either. I'm surprised nobody has called it a flop, given that it will end up with roughly half of Prometheus's gross and Fox will almost certainly lose millions. Some people consider Prometheus a bomb. What does that make Covenant? Clearly people are being nice about this result when its actually rather disastrous.

True. In the press, it's being described as low performing but no one has cited it as a "flop" for whatever reason. Then again, "Alien 3" underperformed and they still greenlighted "Resurrection" a few years later, so perhaps there's enough residual franchise money and strength that Fox is okay with another round and hoping for better results?

Protozoid

Quote from: shawsbaby on Jun 11, 2017, 06:36:10 PM
Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 11, 2017, 05:53:11 PM

True. In the press, it's being described as low performing but no one has cited it as a "flop" for whatever reason. Then again, "Alien 3" underperformed and they still greenlighted "Resurrection" a few years later, so perhaps there's enough residual franchise money and strength that Fox is okay with another round and hoping for better results?
I doubt the franchise is totally dead, but when faced with a clear downward trend, making 6 more in the near future is suicidal. Even making one moreIt's a franchise that needs to have a drought between episodes, because demand isn't very high but the bar for creativity is. Marvel can crank out movies because its fan-base is used to serialized storytelling (they don't want it to end) and the writers have been experimenting with the story possibilities for decades. The makers of the Alien movies are still figuring out what makes these movies tick, and until they do, they can't make reliable new ones.

I say finish up the trilogy with a strong connection to Prometheus, while leaving Alien mostly alone. Don't try to explain the Space Jockey as a recent event. Wrap up Prometheus and then mothball the franchise for 5+ years while mulling over the perfect comeback story. They are better off associating future movies with Prometheus, anyway, because it did twice as well financially and got slightly better scores.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed