Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 279,369 times)

Protozoid

It does seem to be industry-wide, right now - unless you are in the Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm/Pixar empire.

Covenant lost 1,112 screens this week. I saw it on the second to last day my small town theater was showing it. It only lasted 13 days at our small-town movie theater before going away. Before the show, we chatted with the manager, who is a friend of ours. The manager said that the season has been slow overall, but he blamed the quality of movies. Beauty and the Beast cleaned up because of great word of mouth. I know one person who liked Covenant - a lot - but everyone else was mixed to negative. The manager wasn't even planning on projecting the movie until we showed up, because the auditorium was empty.

Gash

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 03, 2017, 12:25:55 AM
It does seem to be industry-wide, right now - unless you are in the Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm/Pixar empire.

Covenant lost 1,112 screens this week. I saw it on the second to last day my small town theater was showing it. The manager said that the season has been slow overall, but he blamed the quality of movies. Beauty and the Beast cleaned up because of great word of mouth.

Beauty and the Beast - now there's a film with some ropey CGI.

Protozoid

Apparently ropey CGI didn't prevent people from recommending that movie to their friends. Alien fans seem to have a fetish for the practical beast from the earlier films, almost to the exclusion of considering any other approach as legitimate.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 03, 2017, 03:28:30 AM
Apparently ropey CGI didn't prevent people from recommending that movie to their friends. Alien fans seem to have a fetish for the practical beast from the earlier films, almost to the exclusion of considering any other approach as legitimate.

Stupid fanboys always behave like that. No offense.

Hemi

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 03, 2017, 03:28:30 AM

You have it all figured out eh? Must be bliss. :P

monkeylove

Quote from: Robopadna on May 31, 2017, 01:39:20 PM

I think there was confusion over the phrasing when someone said 'a horror action movie'.  They meant why would you want a horror action movie to be like 2001, not that they thought 2001 was a horror action movie.

This is pretty non box office related though I guess.

The fact that the Alien films are horror-action means they cannot be like 2001, which is not horror-action. But the producers thought that they could mix the two, which is why the "ancient astronaut" lore and weighty dialogue (together with all sorts of literary references and purty scenery) were added. And I think that affected box office performance.

Ingwar

Quote20th Century Fox's Alien: Covenant took another tumble yesterday, earning just $1.115 million (-63%) for a $64.334m 15-day total. We can expect a $3.9m (-63%) third weekend for a $67.119m 17-day cume. An $80m domestic total may be a pipe dream, but overseas is where the story will be told and it will open in China on the 16th of June. Granted, June will be busy as heck in China, with Wonder Woman this weekend, The Mummy next weekend and Transformers: The Last Knight on the 23rd.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/06/03/friday-box-office-pirates-5-plunges-73-baywatch-and-alien-fall-hard/#68e15e7f3cf2

Protozoid

Isn't Warner Bros distributing Covenant overseas? Does that effect Fox's take?

juxtapose

covenant is currently sitting at 165 mil on ''box office mojo worldwide 2017''. .thats where i usually go to check. .it at least moves up like a million each day. .but i notice the us total going up each day but the worldwide is stuck on 101 mil for almost a week now. ..  i am hoping they still need to update the global and it will give covenant some boost. . One can only hope!

Ingwar

Quote from: juxtapose on Jun 04, 2017, 11:52:45 AM
covenant is currently sitting at 165 mil on ''box office mojo worldwide 2017''. .thats where i usually go to check. .it at least moves up like a million each day. .but i notice the us total going up each day but the worldwide is stuck on 101 mil for almost a week now. ..  i am hoping they still need to update the global and it will give covenant some boost. . One can only hope!

Yeah, I noticed the same about 101 million worldwide. Update is needed.

FallenDarkAngel

Quote from: Ingwar on Jun 04, 2017, 12:11:02 PM
Quote from: juxtapose on Jun 04, 2017, 11:52:45 AM

Yeah, I noticed the same about 101 million worldwide. Update is needed.

They will update it after the weekend.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: monkeylove on Jun 03, 2017, 01:28:42 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 31, 2017, 01:39:20 PM

I think there was confusion over the phrasing when someone said 'a horror action movie'.  They meant why would you want a horror action movie to be like 2001, not that they thought 2001 was a horror action movie.

This is pretty non box office related though I guess.

The fact that the Alien films are horror-action means they cannot be like 2001, which is not horror-action. But the producers thought that they could mix the two, which is why the "ancient astronaut" lore and weighty dialogue (together with all sorts of literary references and purty scenery) were added. And I think that affected box office performance.

In the end what hurt box office is the Alien.  Prometheus was a franchise mostly free of that association and profited for it.  Covenant is the example of what happen when you take a successful film with sequel possibility and listen to a vocal minority of fans.  Few people in North America wanted another Alien film.  Box office totals reflect that.  Word of mouth boiled down to "Oh another Alien flick" and indifference.

Maybe Prometheus 2 would also have crashed and burned.  Maybe it is the market or whatever other factors you wanna bring into it.  Personally, I think they made a not so great film about a creature people are tired of seeing.

Just for fun I looked up other played out Creature feature characters.  Alien: Covenant with a bigger star and a better director isn't doing much better than either the Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th remakes domestically while costing a huge amount more.

This is just domestic comparisons.  Alien is doing way better overseas without question. 

Nightmare on Elm Street 2010:  $63,075,011/35m budget
Friday the 13th 2009: $65,002,019/19m budget
Alien Covenant:  $64,334,484/97m budget

Note:  Those numbers are not including inflation, which brings Ft13 to over 74m and Nightmare to 71m in 2017 dollars.

Predaker

I think Daniels haircut negatively affected ticket sales.

juxtapose

i was just thinking about how badly that Life movie performed at thaeters as well. .it was basicly dead on arrival despite having ok reviews on RT.  audiences gave it a terrible c-. .judging from that i guess audiences are not that keen on horror sci fi anymore. .to be honest i was already weary of covenants performance at that stage. .it seemed to me like a bad omen. .at least covenant is not considered quite as big a flop in comparison. .

Ingwar

Quote from: juxtapose on Jun 04, 2017, 02:20:13 PM
i was just thinking about how badly that Life movie performed at thaeters as well. .it was basicly dead on arrival despite having ok reviews on RT.  audiences gave it a terrible c-. .judging from that i guess audiences are not that keen on horror sci fi anymore. .to be honest i was already weary of covenants performance at that stage. .it seemed to me like a bad omen. .at least covenant is not considered quite as big a flop in comparison. .

Haven't seen Life yet. 58 million budget and only 93 million gross. Flop. People prefer superheroes movies now days.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed