Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 279,306 times)

Jonesy1974

Well this is all sounding much more positive.

Kane's other son

Fox is definitely disappointed this didn't take off they way they hoped it would. The movie under-performed but it's not a flop.

Jonesy1974

Now you've spoiled my new found optimism   :(

juxtapose

one of the chinese members mentioned that prometheus was released in china. .tho i am not sure if it was a proper release or weather it only played at film festivals. .i know apparently it was very cut. .it missed the entire medpod scene and milburn and fifields fate. .hope covenant does not get the same treatment over their. .

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 25, 2017, 11:04:30 AM

Why would you be optimistic. Opening weekend is what matters.

cucuchu

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on May 25, 2017, 02:18:15 PM

Depends on your criteria for being optimistic. For example, I am optimistic that it will at least make its money back once its all said and done. I enjoyed the movie, though I am not excited about the Xeno's creation, so I'm optimistic to see how Ridley Scott finishes out the prequel series with hopefully one more movie. Now if he says he wants to officially make 4 more movies or whatever, then that optimism will deflate quickly. Give him one more movie, let him finish his story, and lets get a fresh director.

juxtapose

legs is what matters!

Jonesy1974

I would have thought the final takings would be what matters to Fox

cucuchu

Quote from: juxtapose on May 25, 2017, 02:29:44 PM
legs is what matters!

My chief concern with it now is that it has lost the more premium screens, which have now been given to Pirates and Baywatch (mostly Pirates). This weekend will be very telling though, one way or another. I'll remain cautiously optimistic though  :)

juxtapose

i hope pirates and baywatch fails. .mind u i loved the original pirates movie. .but the rest of them has been crap so far with some of the most incoherent plots i have ever come across. .

cucuchu

Quote from: juxtapose on May 25, 2017, 03:19:29 PM
i hope pirates and baywatch fails. .mind u i loved the original pirates movie. .but the rest of them has been crap so far with some of the most incoherent plots i have ever come across. .

That crowd that props up the success stories of the Pirate films tend to care little about poor reviews, which Pirates 5 is receiving en masse. Baywatch might get destroyed though.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: cucuchu on May 25, 2017, 03:24:59 PM
Quote from: juxtapose on May 25, 2017, 03:19:29 PM

That crowd that props up the success stories of the Pirate films tend to care little about poor reviews, which Pirates 5 is receiving en masse. Baywatch might get destroyed though.

Yeah, only the first Pirates film was any good but the kids love them and the schools are on half term next week in England so I expect it will do very well here.

juxtapose

i love the whole science of the box office and budget vs BO and the marketing that has to be taken into account. .from what i have learned. .the basic rule of thumb is that a movie needs to make between 3 to 4 times it.s budget to break even. .seeing as marketing figures are seldomly revealed and generally harder to calculate. .i watched percy jackson and the sea of monsters the other day and kinda enjoyed it mostly for the FX. .a fun popcorn flick. .they were planning a sequal that never happened. .it had more or less the same budget as covenant. .made 202 mil at the box office. .the firts one. .the lightning thieve had a similar budget and made 223 mil. .and i am surprised the second one even got made. .i guess they were hoping for a better BO the second time around. .maybe the first one got excused cause it was the beginning of a new franchise. .it's hard to imagine how either made a profit based on those figures tho. . ??!

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 25, 2017, 02:37:29 PM

Yeah but if the opening weekend disappoints then why the hell would the final total be any good. Covenant wont have legs. It'll just do ok at best. I think it's even coming out the same day as Transformers in China.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on May 25, 2017, 04:03:17 PM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 25, 2017, 02:37:29 PM

Yeah but if the opening weekend disappoints then why the hell would the final total be any good. Covenant wont have legs. It'll just do ok at best. I think it's even coming out the same day as Transformers in China.

True but we can always have hope. Those of us that want a follow up anyway

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed