Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 273,314 times)

RandomNumber

Quote from: Protozoid on May 24, 2017, 04:55:56 PM
Prometheus did better because it was better, fresher, and had broader appeal.

Covenant is ranking because fewer people want to see an Alien sequel than a standalone SciFi epic by Ridley Scott. Scott should have done Prometheus 2, or The Forever War, or even Blade Runner 2049. Another Alien movie is something that only hardcore Alien fans wanted,the same vocal minority that is trying to skew reality by spamming the internet with their impressions that Prometheus was a bad film that nobody liked. Fox should not listen to the Alien fans any more. There is no gain for them to make the effort. Tom Rothman, Damon Lindelof, andScott were right to take Prometheus in a new direction. They would have saved the franchise if they had continued. Fox effed this up.

I agree 100%.

When I first saw Prometheus, I was confused by a few aspects of the movie. As time went on, I appreciated more and more what a marvelous piece of work it is.

Prometheus gave us David, it portrayed a budding relationship between David and Shaw, it was an immersive exploration into a world far outside human experience, and the filmmakers weren't afraid of ambient lighting, which is unusual these days and shows a high degree of visual confidence.

I'm not sure we're going to get another Alien movie soon. But if we do, I hope Fox follows the expansive intent of Prometheus -- even if it means cutting loose the old-school fan base.

PierreVW

Quote from: MightyViper on May 24, 2017, 08:06:19 PM
Quote from: PierreVW on May 24, 2017, 07:46:12 PM
Quote from: MightyViper on May 24, 2017, 07:32:08 PM
Agree with the people saying Prometheus did better because of the mystery and the anticipation of a brand new alien film. Nobody knew what to expect. The trailers looked amazing. It was Ridley returning. You could see just by the fake synopses floating around that people hoped it was going to be a very different film to the one that turned up. Prometheus completely burned the audience.

Really when you think about it, it's amazing Covenant managed a thirty-six million opening weekend.

Though tbh, I think the studio anticipated this. It's why the budget was so low. The chances of it making money from that starting point were very high, and I think they'll ultimately be borne out.

I doubt that.

They saved A LOT of money filmed everything in Australia. Australian tax rebates saved like 60 Millions for them.

Sir Ridley did the same thing with EXODUS(3D). The initial budget of EXODUS(3D) was 200 Millions. The final budget was 140 Millions thanks to Spain and its tax rebates.

The same with Australia and its tax rebates.

Apologies, I don't know what you're doubting? That the studio anticipated a lower take?

I doubt that the initial budget was small.

I read that the initial budget was 150 Millions.

AFTER Australian tax rebates they saved like 60 Millions.

MightyViper

Quote from: PierreVW on May 24, 2017, 09:24:28 PM
Quote from: MightyViper on May 24, 2017, 08:06:19 PM
Quote from: PierreVW on May 24, 2017, 07:46:12 PM
Quote from: MightyViper on May 24, 2017, 07:32:08 PM
Agree with the people saying Prometheus did better because of the mystery and the anticipation of a brand new alien film. Nobody knew what to expect. The trailers looked amazing. It was Ridley returning. You could see just by the fake synopses floating around that people hoped it was going to be a very different film to the one that turned up. Prometheus completely burned the audience.

Really when you think about it, it's amazing Covenant managed a thirty-six million opening weekend.

Though tbh, I think the studio anticipated this. It's why the budget was so low. The chances of it making money from that starting point were very high, and I think they'll ultimately be borne out.

I doubt that.

They saved A LOT of money filmed everything in Australia. Australian tax rebates saved like 60 Millions for them.

Sir Ridley did the same thing with EXODUS(3D). The initial budget of EXODUS(3D) was 200 Millions. The final budget was 140 Millions thanks to Spain and its tax rebates.

The same with Australia and its tax rebates.

Apologies, I don't know what you're doubting? That the studio anticipated a lower take?

I doubt that the initial budget was small.

I read that the initial budget was 150 Millions.

AFTER Australian tax rebates they saved like 60 Millions.

But the initial budget doesn't really work against my argument? They knew they were getting those rebates. So they knew what the actual budget was going to be. They fully planned for it to be 100 million or less.

PierreVW

Quote from: kwisatz on May 24, 2017, 08:43:49 PM
With A:C the franchise is kinda dead to me. David creating the Alien p****** on all the things that made Alien interesting for me in the first place. From here on its all moustache twirling evil cyborg and his chamber of horror vs the 4681th Ripley clone. Who wants to see that?

IF Sir Ridley does one more(probably Scott is leaving by his own decision):

It's going to be Michael Fassbender and his Aliens VERSUS Colonial Marines.

EVERYONE in All Internet wants Colonial Marines(except me) so FOX and Sir Ridley are going to return to those Colonial Marines.

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: PierreVW on May 24, 2017, 09:28:31 PM
With A:C the franchise is kinda dead to me. David creating the Alien p****** on all the things that made Alien interesting for me in the first place. From here on its all moustache twirling evil cyborg and his chamber of horror vs the 4681th Ripley clone. Who wants to see that?

EVERYONE in All Internet wants Colonial Marines(except me) so FOX and Sir Ridley are going to return to those Colonial Marines.

Scott will very likely get to finish his prequel series in short time with one more film should he feel the desire.

No, not everyone wants that Colonial Marines movie but I will say that making the movie a bit more action oriented and with well-known actors will help. As much as I hate to say it: Give the Angry Joe's what they want while maintaining some horrifying exposition and bring in some big name actors/actresses, include a hard hitting pay off in the 3rd act, and you will have something that could bring mass appeal. The movie I want? Not really. Prometheus and Alien Covenant were movies I  liked and not many others did so I am willing to accept the mass audience might want something different but that I could still enjoy.

Robopadna

Most people do not want that.  It will not happen.

Looking at the weekday holds, it's out performing its weekend slide.

kwisatz

kwisatz

In my eyes Davids Aliens vs Colonial Marines sounds like a worthy sequel plot to Alien: Covenant.

Its even a worthy title. ALIENS: DAVIDS ALIENS (RICOS ROUGHNECKS) VS NEORINES (Marines surgically improved with black goo)

Jonesy1974

I don't want colonial marines and I'll be very surprised if we were to see them in a follow up to Covenant

razeak

I would watch more Colonial Marines. I'm not too picky, but we have had 5 movies that lean more on Alien than Aliens. I just worry they wouod hire bad crews is AvP and AvPR.

BishopShouldGo

Pierre you need to stop speaking for the fans and filmmakers alike. You don't know anything. This is all sprung from your own imagination.

Spidey3121

I feel like this thread goes off topic a lot.

Anyways, it made $3.38 mil on Tuesday; new total 42.87 mil. WW is at $124.6 mil.

shawsbaby

Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 25, 2017, 03:12:50 AM
I feel like this thread goes off topic a lot.

Anyways, it made $3.38 mil on Tuesday; new total 42.87 mil. WW is at $124.6 mil.

I'm surprised it has been continuing to hold the $3+ million intake for weekdays. If this keeps up, it will be in the neighborhood of $50 million on Friday and then should benefit from the holiday weekend. Doesn't seem like it will quite inch to $100 million domestically, but we'll see.

Kane's other son

If it doesn't collapse this weekend, I predict it will end its run with $95-$105 million in the US and around $280 million worldwide excl. China.

It will be a huge PR boost if it breaks out in China -not to mention a huge incentive to proceed with a sequel ASAP, since the deal concerning the studios' cut from Chinese box office is currently being renegotiated.

juxtapose

what about japan. .is'nt that also supposed to be a huge market?

Kane's other son

It's an important market, and it will help the movie approach $300 million. To keep things into perspective, Prometheus grossed $21 million there, so Covenant should end up with around $14 million.

China is the second biggest market worldwide and very soon it will be the biggest. And let's not forget that Prometheus didn't open in China. China could contribute anything from $30-100+ million.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed