Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 273,255 times)

PierreVW

Quote from: Protozoid on May 24, 2017, 04:55:56 PM
Prometheus did better because it was better, fresher, and had broader appeal.

Covenant is ranking because fewer people want to see an Alien sequel than a standalone SciFi epic by Ridley Scott. Scott should have done Prometheus 2, or The Forever War, or even Blade Runner 2049. Another Alien movie is something that only hardcore Alien fans wanted,the same vocal minority that is trying to skew reality by spamming the internet with their impressions that Prometheus was a bad film that nobody liked. Fox should not listen to the Alien fans any more. There is no gain for them to make the effort. Tom Rothman, Damon Lindelof, andScott were right to take Prometheus in a new direction. They would have saved the franchise if they had continued. Fox effed this up.

I agree 100%.

PROMETHEUS(3D) was marketed as "THE RETURN OF RIDLEY SCOTT TO SCI-FI".

That's why it did better. ALIEN fans are very few. ALIEN: COVENANT was marketed "ONLY FOR ALIEN FANS".

Even here, everybody want A FULL ACTION ALIENS movie.

I'm one of the very few(or the only one here) who loved ALIEN, PROMETHEUS(3D) and ALIEN: COVENANT. Most teenagers in this Planet NEVER saw the original ALIEN.

Jonesy1974

Covenant is ranking because fewer people want to see an Alien sequel than a standalone SciFi epic by Ridley Scott. Scott should have done Prometheus 2, or The Forever War, or even Blade Runner 2049. Another Alien movie is something that only hardcore Alien fans wanted,the same vocal minority that is trying to skew reality by spamming the internet with their impressions that Prometheus was a bad film that nobody liked. Fox should not listen to the Alien fans any more. There is no gain for them to make the effort. Tom Rothman, Damon Lindelof, andScott were right to take Prometheus in a new direction. They would have saved the franchise if they had continued. Fox effed this up.

Do you actually believe that wider audiences would have gone to see a film with Noomi Rapace travelling around the galaxy with an androids head meeting big blue aliens? Cause I don't think they would.

I think fox played the percentages and went with what they thought had the wider appeal. It doesn't look like it worked but I don't think the alternative would have either. In box office terms anyway because I like both films.

Salt The Fries

I think Prometheus did better because audiences didn't actually know what to expect. The series had a gigantic break in terms of years passed, plus it had bigger budget, so naturally more ubiquitous marketing and it also had one of the best trailers ever. Seriously. Whatever happens next, Fox / Ridley will be in a hard position to market it, although probably at the end of the day also Fox must swallow the fact it's not gonna earn that much but Ridley must be allowed to do what he wants to do because doing another 180 would just destroy everything and I think the next one really has a chance to become something really special. I want more actors like Crudup in it!!!

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Salt The Fries on May 24, 2017, 05:49:54 PM
I think Prometheus did better because audiences didn't actually know what to expect. The series had a gigantic break in terms of years passed, plus it had bigger budget, so naturally more ubiquitous marketing and it also had one of the best trailers ever. Seriously. Whatever happens next, Fox / Ridley will be in a hard position to market it, although probably at the end of the day also Fox must swallow the fact it's not gonna earn that much but Ridley must be allowed to do what he wants to do because doing another 180 would just destroy everything and I think the next one really has a chance to become something really special. I want more actors like Crudup in it!!!

I agree with all of that

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: PierreVW on May 24, 2017, 05:43:12 PM

That's a generalization and quite frankly, an inaccurate one.

Kane's other son

Kane's other son

Also, I believe that modern movie marketing, which reveals all story beats and setpieces through a never ending onslaught of trailers, TV spots and featuretes is counter-productive. By the time the movie is released, general audiences are fatigued and feel not only like they've watched the movie already but also that they've watched a bad version of the movie, with no nuance or character beats. 

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Kane's other son on May 24, 2017, 06:49:51 PM
Also, I belive that modern movie marketing, which reveals all story beats and setpieces through a never ending onslaught of trailers, TV spots and featuretes is counter-productive. By the time the movie is released, general audiences are fatigued and feel not only like they've watched the movie already but also that they've watched a bad version of the movie, with no nuance or character beats.

I don't think that helps either

Robopadna

I absolutely did not.

BishopShouldGo

I agree 100%.

That's why it did better. ALIEN fans are very few. ALIEN: COVENANT was marketed "ONLY FOR ALIEN FANS".

I'm one of the very few(or the only one here) who loved ALIEN, PROMETHEUS(3D) and ALIEN: COVENANT. Most teenagers in this Planet NEVER saw the original ALIEN.

People just want a good a good a good movie. That's it, all, and everything.

MightyViper

Agree with the people saying Prometheus did better because of the mystery and the anticipation of a brand new alien film. Nobody knew what to expect. The trailers looked amazing. It was Ridley returning. You could see just by the fake synopses floating around that people hoped it was going to be a very different film to the one that turned up. Prometheus completely burned the audience.

Really when you think about it, it's amazing Covenant managed a thirty-six million opening weekend.

Though tbh, I think the studio anticipated this. It's why the budget was so low. The chances of it making money from that starting point were very high, and I think they'll ultimately be borne out.

PierreVW

Quote from: MightyViper on May 24, 2017, 07:32:08 PM
Agree with the people saying Prometheus did better because of the mystery and the anticipation of a brand new alien film. Nobody knew what to expect. The trailers looked amazing. It was Ridley returning. You could see just by the fake synopses floating around that people hoped it was going to be a very different film to the one that turned up. Prometheus completely burned the audience.

Really when you think about it, it's amazing Covenant managed a thirty-six million opening weekend.

Though tbh, I think the studio anticipated this. It's why the budget was so low. The chances of it making money from that starting point were very high, and I think they'll ultimately be borne out.

I doubt that.

They saved A LOT of money filmed everything in Australia. Australian tax rebates saved like 60 Millions for them.

Sir Ridley did the same thing with EXODUS(3D). The initial budget of EXODUS(3D) was 200 Millions. The final budget was 140 Millions thanks to Spain and its tax rebates.

The same with Australia and its tax rebates.

Darth Vile

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on May 24, 2017, 07:31:43 PM

I agree 100%.

Everybody wants a "good movie", but that's largely subjective and means different things to different people. I doubt they will ever make an Alien film that pretty much has universal appeal.

PierreVW

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 24, 2017, 07:47:39 PM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on May 24, 2017, 07:31:43 PM

I agree 100%.

Everybody wants a "good movie", but that's largely subjective and means different things to different people. I doubt they will ever make an Alien film that pretty much has universal appeal.

I agree.

The same with STAR WARS.

People only love ALIEN and ALIENS. People only love STAR WARS IV and STAR WARS V.

A lot of people hate the other 15 movies.

MightyViper

MightyViper

Quote from: PierreVW on May 24, 2017, 07:46:12 PM
Quote from: MightyViper on May 24, 2017, 07:32:08 PM

I doubt that.

They saved A LOT of money filmed everything in Australia. Australian tax rebates saved like 60 Millions for them.

Sir Ridley did the same thing with EXODUS(3D). The initial budget of EXODUS(3D) was 200 Millions. The final budget was 140 Millions thanks to Spain and its tax rebates.

The same with Australia and its tax rebates.

Apologies, I don't know what you're doubting? That the studio anticipated a lower take?

kwisatz

With A:C the franchise is kinda dead to me. David creating the Alien p****** on all the things that made Alien interesting for me in the first place. From here on its all moustache twirling evil cyborg and his chamber of horror vs the 4681th Ripley clone. Who wants to see that?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed