Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 275,813 times)

Evanus

I'm not sure what to think about all this. On one hand I don't really think this film deserves to do well in the box office, because I strongly dislike the overall direction they seem to be taking. But on the other hand, I don't want to wait five years (or more) again...

cucuchu

Quote from: Evanus on May 14, 2017, 06:45:15 PM
I'm not sure what to think about all this. On one hand I don't really think this film deserves to do well in the box office, because I strongly dislike the overall direction they seem to be taking. But on the other hand, I don't want to wait five years (or more) again...

If they get rid of Ridley Scott, do they even bother finishing the prequel series?

If this thing flops hard, they should consider waiting a bit and then doing a 10 episode HBO series or something...maybe dealing with the Colonial Marines and touching on Xenos very rarely and only built up properly. Great writers, production value similar to Game of Thrones, proper character development...get people excited by the franchise again. Then they can properly make another film and spend their time shooting it without rushing the process.

Gazz

So it's tracking about 5% above Mad Max Fury Road in the same markets, which bodes well considering the budget for Covenant is much lower. If it held similarly that would see the film tripling it's budget without factoring in China, although word-of-mouth is clearly not as strong for Covenant. It's a solid start, but the following weeks are what matter most.

Whos_Nick

Quote from: Darkness on May 14, 2017, 06:41:58 PM
Kinda disappointed that the opening takings have dropped so significantly from Prometheus' in Western countries. There's been loads of advertising for it here - I've seen loads of billboards and on the sides of buses in the last two weeks.

And where'd you get that picture on the news post from, Hicks? Haven't seen it before.

It's a Japanese poster

Ingwar

I have a bad feeling about this.

gantarat

How hype this movie in US ?

MrRipley

MrRipley

US tracking is in the early 30's maybe not even a 100 million grosser.

Let's see what the Gross Margin diff is between the two movies.  Just because Prometheus takes in more rev., doesn't mean it'll be more profitable.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: John73 on May 14, 2017, 06:40:20 PM
Just to clarify a few things on the front page article, I believe the figure linked to at box office pro is a projection for the North American release weekend, not the international projection for this weekend.  Also, I think Prometheus opened to 51 million in North America, I don't think that was its opening gross for the international market.

Thanks. Amended that.

motherfather

Im similarly cautious. I'd like the movie to do moderately well. Enough to prove there is a huge audience out there, but not comfortably enough to encourage them to start being miserly on spending or resorting to cgi or getting cocky about whatever influences fox/execs/whoever might have had (wich may have been to the detriment of the movie from a fan's perspective)

Juat enough to want them to greenlight another movie sooner rather than later.

ESPILFIRE

ESPILFIRE

Is this a good new or a bad new? I hope we can get at least other film for Alien...

Kimo

So will it make enough to warrant a sequel?

Another thing to consider for Prometheus other then being in 3D. Is it was Ridley's Scott's return to sci-fi since Blade Runner. So that would of got a few seats in the cinema.

Huggs

Glad to hear it's doing ok. I sincerely hope it reaches the 350m mark before home release. I really want it to succeed, but not so much that we get bogged down in prequels for a decade. Maybe 250m is more realistic though. I don't personally see it having as large a return as say "skull island".

cucuchu

Actually it might not be that bad considering next weekend it will open in 52 other countries, including the U.S. I would say its not fantastic but not bad either. It would pull in Prometheus numbers going at this rate,and that was considered a success. This also while going against Guardians if the Galaxy 2 and not having 3d showings to boost the numbers.

All in all, no reason to begin to panic....far from it actually.

Ja

Ja

This movie deserve to bomb. I'm sorry for saying this - it is that bad.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Darkness on May 14, 2017, 06:41:58 PM
Kinda disappointed that the opening takings have dropped so significantly from Prometheus' in Western countries. There's been loads of advertising for it here - I've seen loads of billboards and on the sides of buses in the last two weeks.

Unfortunately the bus advertising didn't quite have the desired effect. Not quite sure why.  :-\

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed