In Prometheus, There's a strong possibility of a presence of Protomorph/Ultramorph on LV_(223) as the last running engineer in the hologram recording and who got decapitated, turned and looked back as if to check out the thing that was chasing them all.
Fox, I'd add that we can also call the creature that was chasing them a Deacon.
They either mutate or charr the bodies to death, going with Prometheus and Covenant.
I think the black goo can do that and more.
As far as we know... The black goo alone or black goo+green goo doesn't account for any explosion from inside the body.
The Engineer head in Prometheus exploded because Shaw electrocuted it with high voltage until the black goo got unstable and burst his nerves. Whereas his infection was quite fresh and very much less of a threat.
I've never been a fan of this electrocution film theory.
In the movie Shaw is quite puzzled why the Engineer head exploded. The reanimation procedure for ancient corpses seems to have been routine in the world of the film and imo can be accepted as a science-fiction idea.
- So my view (film theory) is that the black goo became activated in the Engineer head by the reanimation procedure.
- Result about one of the things that the black goo can do? One possibility is that a head can explode out.
In the pile of Engineer corpses, one head was completely hollowed out which supports this film theory.
- What could cause a black goo infected head to explode? One film theory is that it could be due to an interaction between the goo and some kind of transmission near the skin (such as with a communication device).
Energy from technology near the head activates black goo infected nerves/cells which rapidly cascade/expand to explode out of the skull.
The holes could also be from protrusion of Ultramorph's inner jaw attack.
I'm not a fan of adult Deacons getting on the Engineer ship and using their jaws to precisely make chest area holes by crushing through 3 stasis enclosures and leaving one Engineer completely alone.
I prefer the film theory that 3 Chestbursters got out and left the ship.
May be they had proto face hugger eggs in some different pyramid (as per the Mural) and got face hugged and got chestbursted.
This film theory from my view has a lot of speculation but with "Covenant" this is now unavoidable. It used to be that the only facehuggers we saw in the Alien movies were associated with the Xenomorph lifecycle.
- But because of the official explanation of "Covenant", the facehuggers in the wall sculpture and the chestburster holes in the stasis chambers cannot be associated with xenomorphs.
- We are left with a film theory that there are non-xenomorph facehuggers / Chestbursters on LV-223.