Ridley Scott Admits He Was “Wrong” About Prometheus & Talks About Future Alien F

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 10, 2017, 07:09:57 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Admits He Was “Wrong” About Prometheus & Talks About Future Alien F (Read 31,790 times)

Corporal Hicks

With Alien: Covenant due out any soon, more information from the press rounds is pouring out. Talking to Yahoo Movies, Sir Ridley Scott spoke about the reception to Prometheus and how fan reaction shaped Alien: Covenant.

"Fast-forward to 2017 and the beast is back. The classic xenomorph is front and centre in 'Alien: Covenant' (in cinemas Friday) – a direct sequel set 10 years after the events of 2012's divisive 'Prometheus' – so what changed?

"What changed was the reaction to 'Prometheus', which was a pretty good ground zero reaction," the forthright filmmaker responds without hesitation.

"It went straight up there, and we discovered from it that [the fans] were really frustrated. They wanted to see more of the original [monster] and I thought he was definitely cooked, with an orange in his mouth. So I thought: 'Wow, OK, I'm wrong'.""The fans, in a funny kind of way – they're not the final word – but they are the reflection of your doubts about something," Scott explains, "and then you realise 'I was wrong' or 'I was right'. I think that's where it comes in. I think you're not sensible if you don't actually take [the fans' reaction] into account."

Scott has spoken out in the past about not taking note of critical reception of his films but it seems he may be taking note of the fan reaction. Alien vs. Predator Galaxy recently had the opportunity to put some questions across to Sir Ridley Scott (videos will be coming soon!) and we asked about the change from Prometheus to Alien. He also told us that some of change of direction that was due to fan reaction on social media.

Yahoo Movies also asked Scott about the future of the Alien series. He re-affirmed that Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 had ceased movement, shot down hopes of any revitalised interest in a new Alien vs. Predator film and added a couple of more months onto his previous 14 months estimate before he starts shooting Alien: Covenant 2 (Alien: Awakening?):

"As for the future of the franchise, Scott thinks there's a lot left in the tank creatively with screenwriter John Logan ('Skyfall', 'Alien: Covenant') already delivering a script for a direct sequel that Scott aims to shoot after 'All The Money In The World' and 'The Cartel'.

"I'll probably be filming it within a year," Scott says about the follow up to 'Covenant'. "It'll be out within a year and nine months. It's weird when you're writing, doing, planning, thinking about franchises, it's amazing how it opens up and starts to evolve."

On whether that film, rumoured to be called 'Alien: Awakening', will complete the prequel series and lead us directly up to the events of the 1979 'Alien', Scott remains coy. "I don't know. [I'll make] maybe two more [films], or maybe one more, I don't know."

Thanks to the Perfect Organism Podcast for the news! Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien: Covenant and Alien: Covenant 2! You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien fans on our forums!

WaveyDavey

Have to take all this film promotion chat with a pinch of salt but a lack of Alien(s) was definitely not the biggest or only problem with Prometheus. Also if a script or outline for the sequel has already been thrashed out then surely he would know whether it'll take one or two movies to bridge the gap between Covenant and Alien?

426Buddy

T Dog

Well Im sure theres gonna be another fan backlash after what David does.

HOWEVER! The lack of Aliens are way way down the list of the problems with Prometheus.

Evanus

Quote from: T Dog on May 10, 2017, 07:21:38 PM

HOWEVER! The lack of Aliens are way way down the list of the problems with Prometheus.
I hope so. They can still turn back now, it's not too late. I doubt they will, though.  :-\

0321recon

0321recon

Boy I hope he gets an earful for what he did to David and Shaw and entire Prometheus narrative, and lets not get started with the entire Alien aspect.

echobbase79

Quote from: Evanus on May 10, 2017, 07:30:38 PM

I hope so. They can still turn back now, it's not too late. I doubt they will, though.  :-\

Fans can influence studios. So if there's a big enough outcry it could change things. At least in the area of the story that you're referring too.

That Yellow Alien

It wasn't a lack of Aliens that hurt Prometheus, though I do think it would have benefited from more xeno variations , but it was the dumb as shit obnoxious characters that hurt it more than anything else.

BishopShouldGo

Yeah Ridley but you didn't have to wholly abandon the Engineers. :'(

Evanus

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on May 10, 2017, 07:37:47 PM
Yeah Ridley but you didn't have to wholly abandon the Engineers. :'(
Yeah, he's just making things worse. Much worse.

oduodu

oduodu

Changing the jockey to a  humanoid was ok. Making them our creators .........not cool. Most of the fan base agrees on that(that's my perception anyway- correct me if I am wrong) but its only now that Scott is taking that into consideration. Its a pity that it didn't happen earlier.

Imbrie

Imbrie

And then wiping them out ..... even cooler.

*snip. Let's keep it respectful, please. This isn't IMDB. Thanks, Hicks.

T Dog

The thing that is really missing from these movies and is so utterly disappointing is the lack of the Giger aesthetic.

I know I daydreamed many times of what the space jockey would look like, how it would move, a return to the inside of the ship with the black bones and pipes and organs in the walls. I dreamed about what their world would look like, their unintelligible architecture and technology. A world and civilisation where tge biology and machinery was a nightmarish blur.

Instead we get f**king Star Trek movies that are pretending to be Alien.

Whos_Nick

Why does Scott and co think the main issue people had with Prometheus was the lack of Xenomorphs?

XENOMORPHOSIS

While he has addressed the decision in the fan base I hope they don't go too overboard with fan service.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed