Should Bethesda make an open world AvP game??

Started by Praetorian Guard, May 10, 2017, 05:00:22 AM

Author
Should Bethesda make an open world AvP game?? (Read 3,038 times)

Praetorian Guard

Alright, as the name says. Should Bethesda make an open world AvP game? No, nothing about this is coming from Bethesda or is official. It's just a question that came to mind years back, and now I thought I should share it. I would like to hear your thoughts of the subject as soon as I tell you mine. So please bear with me. Keep in mind the following wall of text is just a rough idea of what I would picture of a open world AvP game if it was made be Bethesda.

I haven't really played a lot of games, made by Bethesda. The games I played was Elder Scrolls IV, V. Fallout 3 and Fallout LV, and also Hunted The Demon's Forge. From my experience with playing Bethesda games. One thing is for sure. They know how to make good open world RPG games. Bethesda is known for its best RPG open world games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. I played Elder Scrolls V a lot back in the day, and still do from time to time. With their team and potential for open world game of the year games, I hope one day they will take into consideration about possibly getting the rights for a new AvP game. Has there ever been a good Aliens Vs Predator game recently? I think not. Aliens Vs Predator, from Rebellion back in 2010 was a good game, but surely not a classic or a game many come back to play. Don't misunderstand me. That game is a good game, but let's be honest. It's barely alive... Of course that doesn't mean I don't play it. I do play it even now and then.

Anyway, my point is this. Why don't they make a NEW Aliens Vs Predator game? You may be already doubting, but please hear me out and think of the possibilities of a AvP Bethesda game. (Remember this is just a rough idea for a AvP Bethesda)  "Alright, what makes you say Bethesda should make one?"  It has been a very LONG time since we last had anything related to AvP games. With movies coming out, I feel like we're missing something... All these movies and no game somewhere in the middle... Hmm... Yes Alien Isolation was a great game, but I am talking about Aliens Vs Predator. Not just Alien. I was thinking it was about damn time we at least get something related to a new game. It has been far too long we last had a good AvP game, or Predator only game. Predator Concrete Jungle came out in 2005, and was the last game where you play as the Predator and hunt humans. JUST as the Predator. Alien Isolation was good at making you feel weak against the Alien and had to run around in fear. AvP 2010 was good, but... It lacked heart from the team itself. I don't know how to say it, but AvP 2010 was rushed maybe? Maybe didn't get enough attention to make it better? I don't know. We all love the Predator and the Alien as to some of us, they were our childhood Science fiction heroes.

"Makes sense, but why choose Bethesda?"  No other game studio will be creative enough to be able to pull it off. Maybe there is, and I don't remember about it at this moment.  The reason I think of this is because I think an open world AvP CAN be done, but only by their hands and the great people at Bethesda. They have the love, the mind, the time, and the brains to make a unique AvP game that fans will come to love and will come back from time to time to play it. A game that won't be forgotten...

"How interesting... How would the concept be? How do you picture the game would play?" Well, open world sounds about right.

"But surely the badass Colonial Marines would be there too, so how would we be able to make it work?"
Let's start off nice and easy. There is this planet, which would be the world you'll play as one of the three races. This planet is dangerous. One of the most dangerous planets in the galaxy. DEATH 0 is a planet filled with countless dangerous creatures. From deadly predators of all sizes, to the plans and nature itself. Any Human that would try to step on this planet, would find themselves dead in mere hours or less, but the Colonial Marines were build for this, son! (This is just an idea, mind you) It's a planet which everything kills you. (Even the weather) You, as the player can choose which race you want to be. The dangerous unseen honorable Predator. The clever, but terrifying Xenomorph. Or the Colonial Marines with tactical smartguns!

Each three races will have their own starting points when you first start a new game. The Predator is in a jungle during summer on some part of the planet. The Alien maybe in a cave with thunderstorms high in the mountains at night. The Marines just landing down to a base to clean it out. You get the idea.

All three races have their own different play style.
The Marines are as you would expect them to be with big guns.
The Predator can use his high jumping to jump on trees, roofs, etc, and use his cloak to hunt his preys. Place traps and other useful Pred tech.
The Alien can use its super running speed to get behind foes before they saw it coming and kill them in one hit with its tail. The Alien can walk on walls, see in the dark, and of course hide in the dark. Its darkness is its friend, and its speed and mobility makes it hard to stop.
Is like playing a new game every time you start a new game! Wow... I know what I'm going to play Friday night.

All races are fully customizable from the Marines' body to face. The Predator's face, jaws, eyes, skin details and color, etc. The Alien's head shape, details to the body, tail, mouth, etc.

They all have their own unique quests, which would be Missions. The Marines have the good old, search and kill this, or find that, help them, blah blah. Predators have hunt down this animal, or kill that big monster, or go here to this part of the world, and find that temple which only Predators and Aliens can find. Alien missions would be, search and kill, bring back a certain prey for a facehugger to expand your territory. The weather changes are very ugly. It's often raining, and thunderstorms can sometimes do certain... "Things" that can have an impact with what you're doing. Of course it's random. All this is just what how I would picture a AvP game from Bethesda.

"How would the level up and RPG system work?"
By doing Missions and such, depending on the race, you will get experience points for the humans. Honor Points for the Predator. Superiority for the Aliens. Marines can't find much ammo and loot around the world. What the hell are you gonna find as loot in a wasteland?
I think Marines should find a friendly outpost or something, and trade or shop for weapons and upgrades.

Predator can loot from monsters, like bones, fangs and make their own weapon like a spear tooth, traps made of sharp bones and so on. The experience the Predator gain will allow them to upgrade their low tech into high end tech like the elites. The Predator can exchange and upgrade his things in his space ship and also craft new things or improve. Armor and Masks? That depends...

One can't do much with the Alien, but with Superiority points, the Alien itself can get much stronger. Superiority points can be used to learn new attacks and wall jumping attacks and all sorts of running, block or finisher moves. Heck, put a combo system for them. Superiority points can unlock more move sets, improve HP and DEF and sixth senses. Learn new abilities like see through walls and objects, hear and sense nearby foes and slow-mo react time.

These are the possibilities of making a RPG open world AvP game. It's kill or be killed. Be the top of the food chain, or become prey.. With the team of Bethesda, they can make it happen. (If they even think of it...)

AvP is slowly dying, and we, the fans, are the ones keeping it alive, but our voices are not reaching out to anything. Please Bethesda... I know this game will be more than great. It will become the father of all AvP games.

So that's the end of my story about this. I had this thought in my head for about two years, and I just wanted to share it with you all. What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Not worth making one?

Vow

I'll be honest and tell you that I read nothing but the title of your thread and the answer is: f**k NO!

I want a good AvP game, if there is to be a new one made, and Bethesda stopped making good games since 15 years ago.

Randomizer

Randomizer

From my limited experience with Bethesda their games (refferencing Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas and presumably The Elder Scrolls series) tend to lean over the RPG side a bit too much for my taste. I don't really find it challenging or immersing to freeze time when I draw my Pip-Boy in order to choose a weapon.

EDIT: If you want only a couple of additions like an inventory or faction system then that could work but in my opinion it should be a shooter foremost. Have RPG elements in it (like the STALKER series) but DO NOT make it an RPG.

Praetorian Guard

Quote from: Randomizer on May 10, 2017, 05:13:52 PM
From my limited experience with Bethesda their games (refferencing Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas and presumably The Elder Scrolls series) tend to lean over the RPG side a bit too much for my taste. I don't really find it challenging or immersing to freeze time when I draw my Pip-Boy in order to choose a weapon.

EDIT: If you want only a couple of additions like an inventory or faction system then that could work but in my opinion it should be a shooter foremost. Have RPG elements in it (like the STALKER series) but DO NOT make it an RPG.

Yeah, you're right. I fully agreed with you.

Randomizer

Plus their animations are a bit janky but that could be just me. I'm comparing everything to their Fallout work because frankly that's all I've put my hands on.

Praetorian Guard

Quote from: Randomizer on May 11, 2017, 01:47:48 PM
Plus their animations are a bit janky but that could be just me. I'm comparing everything to their Fallout work because frankly that's all I've put my hands on.

No, you're right. Elder Scrolls also have these sort of... Meh animations. Doom was great with its animations. But you're full right. I made this thread to share and exchange thoughts after all.

Randomizer

I can get over the "fantasy" of Fallout but these things break it for me. It's, to put it simply, one of the most cheerful post-apocalypses I've seen but due to the RPG > Shooter status I can't take it as anything more but a game. Carrying 20 cannons and 10 suits because they fit within the weight limit doesn't help at all. You could do a similar thing in STALKER but here it's exaggerating a little.

When I walk do I float? There's no head bob(?). I like it to an extent but you get my point. I won't start on how Stimpaks work because I don't think I know enough.

I like it as a game but not as a whole, as a universe. I'll never be one of 'dem hardcore fans.

As for DOOM (in all caps to differentiate the new from the old, having more "doom") I thought of that too but guess it's different when you can actually play the game.

Alien Grand Master

I have put a lot of thought about this kind of game in the past.  A right mix of elder scrolls/EVE/Rust is always a good recipe, but the aspects of the Alien/Predator universe should be at forefront and be faithful.  Key points would be open world, interactive environment, and combat.  Less emphasis on economy, 'survival' (thirst, temperature, food, you got Aliens and Predators these are secondary concerns.)

Keep it canon, no flying aliens, no machine gun predators, no mech suit super humans.

Get some base building, for humans and Aliens of course.   Have the fully lifecycle.  Don't hand the player weapon at spawn.

Um what else,

-multiplayer
-NPC friends
-faction/clan system?
-vehicles
-Full alien lifecycle (from egg to queen)

Granted this game would only be open to AAA developers, and these days they almost always build shallow, showy games, with little depth and game mechanics to them (I am looking at you rock em, sock em, boxer simulator that is AVP2010).  But one can always dream.

SrSpinelli

Let Obsidian do it, not Bethesda.

NeoXenoPred

An open world AvP game would make an unique game, because AvP game often leaned towards FPS genre. Playing as an Alien roaming the planet, Predator hunting in the shadows, and Humans trying to survive on the planet sounds a good idea. The game should emphasis on survival more and combat should be balanced, not like humans can kill a predator just by using their bare fist. Quest system should be realistic, like for the Aliens they receive a quest from the Queen, Predator from their Elder, and humans from their Commander. For the lifecycle i think it depends on the host, like no way a warrior molts into a predalien. They should give an option to stay in your drone form or transform to a Praetorian. Predator should climb the ranks. Mercenary should be for marines, while clan mate Predators and warrior for Aliens. The maps should be consisted of hive, dense jungle, abandoned base, etc.

I agree with the building hive section or base for humans and aliens. Pred should be able to build a camp too. Humans should have APC for protection, Pred is ship and Aliens maybe walking. At first human should be a stranded Marine with only a pistol, a young blood Predator going his first hunt, and a facehugger seeking a host. Enemy must be balanced, not like they only deal 5 dps but they should be deadly for your welfare. NPC maybe good and multiplayer may add the fun. May i suggest the main antagonist is the Super Predators? Because the Preds rarely got this. The Species should be able to customized, like if the default human spawn is a warrior you can change it to the Isolation Drone. Faction may be good, but they should be consisted of fully Aliens or Predators or human only. I suggest they should uses species changing? I hope an AAA developer made this with a good story and an enganging battle and environment.

BlackMatter169

An open world game kinda defeats the purpose of the Alien in many regards given it's really only effective in cramped, enclosed environments. A Predator game, maybe, but only if you got to play as the Predator. But not Alien or AVP.

I think this is why the Obsidian Alien Crucible game never saw the light of day. An RPG set in the Alien universe sounds like a good idea in theory, but in practice I'd be a logistical nightmare. You'd need the best game writers and developers behind it to make such a crazy idea work. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed