Ancient, giant viruses are being unearthed in Arctic ice

Started by Shinawi, May 10, 2017, 12:11:15 AM

Author
Ancient, giant viruses are being unearthed in Arctic ice (Read 620 times)

Shinawi

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/ancient-giant-viruses-being-unearthed-155600829.html
QuoteAncient, giant viruses are being unearthed in Arctic ice that's at risk of melting

Revitalized ancient viruses might one day get added to the list of ominous consequences of melting ice.
Scientists working in the Arctic circle over the past few decades have unearthed several massive viruses that some say could be re-awakened if the permafrost that imprisons them dissolves.

In 2015, researchers in Siberia uncovered one called Mollivirus sibericum, a 30,000-year-old behemoth of a virus that succeeded in infecting a rather defenseless amoeba in a lab experiment. About a decade earlier, scientists discovered the first Mimivirus, a 1,200-gene specimen measuring twice the width of traditional viruses, buried beneath layers of melting frost in the Russian tundra. (For comparison, HIV has just nine genes.)........

SpreadEagleBeagle

Blood Warrior

I guess we all have to go someday?

The Alien Predator

This reminds me of a scenario in Plague Inc that you can play, where a giant prehistoric virus thaws out and slowly turns people into Neanderthals.

Randomizer

I think you are refferring to the Frozen Virus scenario, or then there's this...

Deathbearer

Do you want flying polyps? Because this is how you get flying polyps!

Mr.Turok

I thought about The Thing for a second for laughs....

But man, sometimes is best we don't always go poking around stuff.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed