Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 276,968 times)

Gash

Gash

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 23, 2017, 02:27:58 AM

Ridley Scott loves to rationalize a lot of legendary, symbolic, mythical stuff etc (Exodus).

Rationalising religious delusions was a worthy idea. It got me on board with it.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Saw it a couple of days ago. Really weak movie. Neomorphs felt like they had absolutely no reason to exist other than to give the characters something to run from early on and the way the Xeno was handled both destroys previous canon and raises questions that never needed to exist.

I think I'm just done with Alien movies, there hasn't been a good one in like 30 f**king years. I didn't even exist until Alien 3 came out so I'm just doomed to this shit forever I guess.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Oh and a big problem in covenant... The stupidity of some characters... I know this kind of movie need mistakes to be made by the people in it in order to provoke something, but this is too much mistakes in one movie, a lazy way to create danger and kill off underdeveloped characters (Rosenthal, Ankor haha I hardly remember his face), and when they get just a little development, they make the stupidest things ever (Oram with the egg, come on man...). The twist with David is very predictable in my opinion, same with sergent Lope... And none of this was actually scary to me, at any moment, just a little tension when the shit hit the fans with the first two neomorphs, but not much more after that. Still liked some visuals, but that's thin.

HarveyYan

HarveyYan

Movie is nicely ultra-violent, and neomorphs are kinda..unwholesome, actors are playing respectably, especially David! He's like a God. Xenomorphs are..typical, and finally had their origins explained in a way which to some extent is acceptable, since you know, David is not really human, he might be something more profound just like the xenomorphs.

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 23, 2017, 02:27:58 AM
Quote from: szkoki on May 22, 2017, 08:08:07 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 22, 2017, 05:57:21 PM
Quote from: Tangakkai on May 22, 2017, 05:50:38 PM
So... am I the only one who has a problem with the following discontinuity:

Spoiler
David being the one who created
[close]
the Xenomorph?

How can it be that in Prometheus we see: 
Spoiler
[close]

And yet at the same Time it's only later
Spoiler
that the Xenomorph is actually created
[close]
?

It makes no sense to me at all.

And what about this guy:
Spoiler
Since when can David time travel and go back to design a Deacon?
[close]

This movie has Plot Holes the sizes of Pangea, unless someone cares to help me out here.

Because Scott likes this vision more.  And that mural isn't the xeno.

It looks pretty f**king like a xeno. That or either a goat then. WTF. They dont give a shit about continuity! Cmon guys thats obvious. Its all about money not the story.

Im so waiting for a sci-fi mocking Prometheus & Covenant where someone wants to take off his helmet or exit the dropship without helmet and everyone shoot him down how idiot he is and he is not allowed to do it because million ways you can die on a foreing planet.

That would instantly put Ridley in his place :'D not to mention the major flaws of his movies.

Ridley Scott has a tendency to destroy what he created, and he loves to rationalize a lot of legendary, symbolic, mythical stuff etc (exodus). I think this is sterile in terms of creativity, and obviously in terms on continuity, it was plain to see in covenant (facehugger that impregnates in seconds, the mural in prometheus), I still thought there were some enjoyable moments like the first two neomoprhs births, which were tense, but overall it wasn't that great I think, not absolute garbage, but forgettable

That's a very percise term you are using: "sterile of creativity". I think that's the main reason why this film just left me cold. Not that I hate it, I just feel absolutely nothing... void of emotions while watching it. I'm only left with so many flaws and continuity problems.

To the guys saying that the mural isn't a Xeno or the other guy saying that the Deacon has nothing to do with a Xenomorph: That doesn't change the problem one bit. Once you have established that a creature has been created in a certain way through a certain process, how come then there have been identical looking creatures beforehand. It becomes an obsolete cycle in itself. It doesn't make any sense, unless:
Spoiler
David copied an old Species with his Xenomorph.
[close]

I seriously doubt though if Sir Scott put any thinking into this. He probably simply didn't give a shit what came before this movie and simply wanted to have Xenos in it. I get that. It's a business decision. But don't try to justify this with logical answers, there aren't any in this case.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Also, I was not very fond of the CGI effects of the monsters, for the rest it was great (the ship etc), but the creatures looked too much computer generated in my opinion, and I was disappointed. On the other hand the gore stuff was really cool, all the practical stuff in this regard were perfect I think (man, the two neomorphs births wow !), it's a shame the CGI shots of the creatures didn't live up to that

Aliens_Diner86

Aliens_Diner86

Saw it yestarday and I was REALY pleased With it  ;D Was about time they took it a bit back to the original. Also loved the way they tied it in With promotheus. SPOILERS Making David the creator of the xenomorph I though makes it even more terrifying. Alien is back baby thumbs up  ;)

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Aliens_Diner86 on May 23, 2017, 02:11:43 PM
Saw it yestarday and I was REALY pleased With it  ;D Was about time they took it a bit back to the original. Also loved the way they tied it in With promotheus. SPOILERS Making David the creator of the xenomorph I though makes it even more terrifying. Alien is back baby thumbs up  ;)
I felt the exact opposite about it.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Quote from: Engineer on May 23, 2017, 02:17:30 PM
Same. It feels like Scott didn't bother to watch his own movie again before making some of these decisions. Of course they'll try to explain it in a sequel but I bet that will only make it worse.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Deathbearer on May 23, 2017, 02:41:14 PM
Quote from: Engineer on May 23, 2017, 02:17:30 PM
Same. It feels like Scott didn't bother to watch his own movie again before making some of these decisions. Of course they'll try to explain it in a sequel but I bet that will only make it worse.
That's my fear too

Aliens_Diner86

Aliens_Diner86

Hmmm... Well I loved it !! Im one of the ones that feels were in good hands With Ridley onboard.

What was it u did not like exatctly ?? just curious  ;)

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Aliens_Diner86 on May 23, 2017, 03:21:57 PM
Hmmm... Well I loved it !! Im one of the ones that feels were in good hands With Ridley onboard.

I feel it's not inline with the story. I've never liked the idea of the prequel angle. It de-mystifies "alien."  And now with David being the creator only 2 decades before the nostromo finds the derelict, it loses that ancient feel, and seems less 'alien' to me. Now it's just some crazy robots science experiement! Plus, the black goo from Prometheus and the 'pathogen' idea I've never been on board with; body morphing horror has never worked for me. It just comes off as cheesy and goofy when a character is mutated by black goop. It hasn't worked for me in any other movie before, and it doesn't really work for me now. Alien was unique, but now it's losing that uniqueness and adopting an over used mysterious black goo concept. I liked the fact that the black goo was less of the focus this time, but it was still there and an important plot element. It also seems to me like Ridley is not interested in any lore that proceeded his movies that he wasn't apart of. This feels like a retcon of everything after alien (getting rid of the queen) or possibly a reboot; if that's true and turns out to be the case, I'm going to be very upset with this whole prequel effort, Ridley and fox.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Aliens_Diner86 on May 23, 2017, 03:21:57 PM

The fact that Ridley Scott damages his own mythology by rationalizing it
Spoiler
(David created the xenomorph, so it's not mysterious anymore)
[close]
, I think it doesn't need rationalization, but since we're going to get it anyway, we could expect at least some quality in the execution... which I didn't find in the movie, the direction was kinda weak, except for the neomorphs births, the characters were almost all underdeveloped (so no real emotion when they get killed), the gore stuff was very good though, but that's not much for a whole movie

Darth Vile

Darth Vile

The xeno hasn't really been mysterious since Aliens; when it became a franchise based on the character of Ripley.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Darth Vile on May 23, 2017, 05:35:58 PM
The xeno hasn't really been mysterious since Aliens; when it became a franchise based on the character of Ripley.
I beg to differ... the mystery I'm referring to is it's origin. I never wanted to know, but Ridley gave it to us anyway. Same with the space jockey, and it has not done the trick for me...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed