Could have been better. (2/5)
60 (13.1%)
Didn't like it. (1/5)
32 (7%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (6.6%)

Total Members Voted: 456

Author
Alien Covenant Fan Reviews (Read 276,348 times)

Xenoscream

Xenoscream

Quote from: cucuchu on May 10, 2017, 05:38:51 PM
You mention that you are giving your opinions as an alien fan. If you were to go into this just expecting a good SciFi horror/thriller movie and are not too up-to-date or aware of every detail of the Alien mythos, how would you say the film performs in that regard?

Hard to say... I could see many aspects being confusing. If someone had seen Prometheus but wasn't really a big fan of Alien I think thier score could vary anywhere between a 6 to an 8.

My GF is in that department, she hated Prometheus, she gave this a 7, but also commented that the more she thought about it the more didn't make sense. It's a mixed bag really, some great bits, I think my favourite was the last conversation with Daniels - just a great moment, but then some things just don't add up.

Go in with low expectations and you'll most likely really enjoy it.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Xenoscream on May 11, 2017, 01:43:24 AM
Quote from: cucuchu on May 10, 2017, 05:38:51 PM
You mention that you are giving your opinions as an alien fan. If you were to go into this just expecting a good SciFi horror/thriller movie and are not too up-to-date or aware of every detail of the Alien mythos, how would you say the film performs in that regard?

Hard to say... I could see many aspects being confusing. If someone had seen Prometheus but wasn't really a big fan of Alien I think thier score could vary anywhere between a 6 to an 8.

My GF is in that department, she hated Prometheus, she gave this a 7, but also commented that the more she thought about it the more didn't make sense. It's a mixed bag really, some great bits, I think my favourite was the last conversation with Daniels - just a great moment, but then some things just don't add up.

Go in with low expectations and you'll most likely really enjoy it.

Man, that's not very reassuring.

Just like with Prometheus, the critics are loving it, but fans seem to be mixed so far.  :-\

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

Go in with your expectations so low, they're right next to dinosaur bones

newbeing

newbeing

Saw this movie tonight via an advance screening.

My spoiler free review.

Just watch the trailer. You've now seen pretty much everything Alien: Covenant has to offer.

In short, I thought it was bad.

Honestly this film barely passes as an Alien film. Take the Alien (as in the Xenomorph we know and love) out of the movie and barely anything would really change about the story. Both the title and creature are tacked on to get your butts in the seat and to have something nice to show in the trailer. I'd say 90% of the alien scenes in the movie are what you see in the trailer.

It's Prometheus 2, and should have steered clear of anything close to ALIEN, because the things they did add just shrink the universe further instead of expanding it. Adds confusion to where there was once mystery and turns the ALIEN into a easily defeated threat. This is not Alien. This is, once again, a vehicle for Ridley Scott to ask big questions with nothing of substance to back it up.

I'm not even really angry or disappointed about it as my expectations were so low going in, but it's totally killed any fleeting excitement I had left for future movies. Fox and Ridley really have no clue as to why people love the ALIEN movies, and no clue as to where to steer it. It's a shame.

Whos_Nick

Whos_Nick

You said it brother  :(

Predaker

Predaker

Nice review, newbeing. How would you rate it? 2/5, 6/10, big fat zero, or what?  :)

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: Predaker on May 11, 2017, 03:48:39 AM
Nice review, newbeing. How would you rate it? 2/5, 6/10, big fat zero, or what?  :)

I'd say a 5/10. I have to say I did like the beginning, which felt very ALIEN with the musical score, character banter, but once they land on the planet all of the things that I really disliked about Prometheus started to creep into this movie.

SiL

SiL

Spoiler
Aliens are derived from combining space wasps with black goo mutations/10
[close]

Good first half. Bad second half. Aliens felt like they were fan service and really shouldn't been kept out. Dumber characters than Prometheus, or at least, one person dumber than them combined.

windebieste

windebieste

Saw it this morning.  Loved it. 

Here's my full review.  Minor spoilers present, nothing anyone here wouldn't be aware of, I think.

-Windebieste.

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: SiL on May 11, 2017, 04:51:33 AM

Dumber characters than Prometheus, or at least, one person dumber than them combined.

Wow. Are you serious.? Can't believe it after everything that happened with Prom.

#shakes head in desbelief#

SiL

SiL

Quote from: oduodu on May 11, 2017, 06:07:15 AM

Dumber characters than Prometheus, or at least, one person dumber than them combined.

Wow. Are you serious.? Can't believe it after everything that happened with Prom.

Some will say it's hyperbole, but when you weigh the situations, pretty much.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: windebieste on May 11, 2017, 06:02:48 AM
Saw it this morning.  Loved it. 

Here's my full review.  Minor spoilers present, nothing anyone here wouldn't be aware of, I think.

-Windebieste.

Nicely written. I'm gonna see it tonight. You reassured me a bit.

gantarat

gantarat

Quote from: SiL on May 11, 2017, 06:27:46 AM
Quote from: oduodu on May 11, 2017, 06:07:15 AM

Some will say it's hyperbole, but when you weigh the situations, pretty much.

Spoiler
Oram,right ?
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

He was the only character I had any issue with. Farris might have been pushing it.

windebieste

windebieste

He was the only character I felt any doubt about - lacking in strength for the role that was thrust upon him.  Remember, though. It was circumstance that pushed responsibility on him.  I don't really think he wanted it.  Probably a character who ascended to level of his incompetence by default rather than plan.

There are still worse characters in 'PROMETHEUS'.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed